PDA

View Full Version : Used Kahr??

Trvlngnrs
10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm looking at a used PM9 from a gun dealer. The serial # is VA90xx.

Does anyone have an idea about it's age?

I've emailed Kahr service, etc and am waiting for a reply. The dealer said he would sell it to me for $475. It looks like it is very good, to excellent condition.

It's a dual tone, non-night sight model.

Thanks,
Steve

Dietrich
10-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. There is a thread in the PM series sub forum concerning serial #s. I looked yours up and it indicated that the handgun was manufactured sometime between August of `03 and March of `04 but wait for your answer from Kahr. I e-mailed them with the same question about my PM9 and they got back to me with an exact date in about two days. Good luck!

wagon
10-16-2009, 02:16 PM
(Dietrich beated me to the punch .... LOL)

There is a thread which tracks production month by serial #. VA92xx has been reported to be 3/2004, while no report (yet) on VA90xx series, it probably be prior to 3/2004 production.

$475 sounds like a very decent price for a PM9, local dealer? Most private sales I've seen on the web are at $500 range + FFL + shipping etc...

Trvlngnrs
10-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys!

I went back and looked at the gun again. There is an envelope in it that contains a couple spent cases. The envelope is dated 5/04. This means it just passed the 5 year warranty. The gun appears to have been a safe queen. I doubt if it has even been fired the 200 round break in.

Is anyone aware of any issues with a PM9 from this timeframe.

Option #2 is a new PM9 for $569.

Dietrich
10-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Well,You gonna jump on it or what?

500KV
10-16-2009, 03:46 PM
I'd pay the extra 95 bucks and get a new gun.
My $.02.

wagon
10-16-2009, 03:51 PM
I decided to buy new for peace of mind (warranty). Or another option is: $420-ish for a new CW9... unless you are fixated on PM9.

In my case I was looking for a CW9 (thru my LGS) but not a sight for 2 months, only 2 PM9 shows up in the delivery... rest is history :D

Trvlngnrs
10-16-2009, 03:54 PM
I was looking at some threads here, the used gun I am thinking of has a barrel recall. I don't know the particulars.

I'm leaning towards the new one. Wife says get the new one:-)

The new one can be ordered on Monday. Is there much of an advantage to the all black vs the two tone PM9?

I'm thinking no to the night sights, as I don't anticipate using it at distances greater than 10 yards. If I feel differentlu, I can use the saved money for a Crimson Trace laser.

Input?

Steve

wagon
10-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Night sight can be retrofitted if so desired.. I saved $50 to not get the black slide, some day I may regret ...

chose SS due to the concern that black coating COULD wear out from holster/re-holster .. but this can be my own ignorance coz I never have owned a Kahr until now, I do not know if Kahr's coating is immune to wear. I just know that non-Black will NEVER show any holster wear.

I believe black-slide will have better re-sale value.. if this is a factor to your decision making.

I know for sure that either one will shoot the same :D

500KV
10-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Wife says get the new one:-)

Problem Solved..:)

wagon
10-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Yup. You made a wise (wife) choice, Traveler. :D:D

Wife says get the new one:-)

Problem Solved..:)

ltxi
10-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm very partial to the black slide. Kahr's black diamond finish is the most durable I've seen yet. I also like the Mepro night sights Kahr uses. Have both on my PM9. My K9 has a black slide and std sights....that works well, too. My least favorite combo is my MK9's stainless slide with std sights.

I definitely agree with get the new one for the few extra bucks.

zena
10-16-2009, 06:28 PM
I was looking at some threads here, the used gun I am thinking of has a barrel recall. I don't know the particulars.

I'm leaning towards the new one. Wife says get the new one:-)

The new one can be ordered on Monday. Is there much of an advantage to the all black vs the two tone PM9?

I'm thinking no to the night sights, as I don't anticipate using it at distances greater than 10 yards. If I feel differentlu, I can use the saved money for a Crimson Trace laser.

Input?

Steve

I went with all black for the stealth factor. IF I ever have to draw my gun I don't want 'bling' flashing to give the gun or my intent away. But you are a smart guy to do what the wife says. No point in arguing with a girl. :cheer2:

Trvlngnrs
10-16-2009, 11:13 PM
>IF I ever have to draw my gun I don't want 'bling' flashing

If I need to draw my gun...there is going to be a BIG flash:33:

Steve

.45mac.40
10-18-2009, 09:06 PM
:popcorn:

Ahhhhhh Mannnnnn !
Git' tha' NEW ONE !!!!.......and...........
Tell your Beautiful Wife .... too .... tell my, Beautiful Wife .... I need one also !!!
:D
Mac :33:

wagon
10-18-2009, 11:27 PM
LOL... better yet, tell me the name and phone # of the pawn shop ! Then I can rename myself as "2GunPM9" :D