PDA

View Full Version : polymer frame warp(bowed out)

AL CAPONE
10-07-2010, 06:33 AM
have a pm40 on the frame up front were guide rails for slide are is warped bowed out on left side any idea whats up with this.gun functions fine no issue, but for a gun of this cost i think is kinda hack.when i called karh there response was as long as its working thats ok!!!...personally i think that would be ok on a $200 gun.not for what i paid anybody else with this issue. :33:

frank_drebin
10-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Can you post a picture?

Pender1
10-07-2010, 07:36 AM
completely normal

check out this thread http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistols/486-bulged-swollen-frame.html

Rio Lobo
10-13-2010, 12:30 PM
have a pm40 on the frame up front were guide rails for slide are is warped bowed out on left side any idea whats up with this.gun functions fine no issue, but for a gun of this cost i think is kinda hack.when i called karh there response was as long as its working thats ok!!!...personally i think that would be ok on a $200 gun.not for what i paid anybody else with this issue. :33:

If KAHR is unwilling to repair [a cosmetic only] bulge in the polymer frame:

I read somewhere several months ago that, using heat from a "hair dryer" on the affected area, you can press the bulge back into a near normal appearance. Haven't tried it personally.

Pender1
10-13-2010, 12:51 PM
If KAHR is unwilling to repair the bulge in the polymer frame:

I read somewhere several months ago that, using heat from a "hair dryer" on the affected area, you can press the bulge back into a near normal appearance. Haven't tried it personally.

like I said, read the thread linked in my last post, it's not really a defect

jocko
10-13-2010, 02:09 PM
If KAHR is unwilling to repair the bulge in the polymer frame:

there by design, don't mess with a hair dryer in that area, #1 you will not succeed in doing anything but really damaging it. Just my SWAG on this (scientific wild ass guess) that buldge as u cal lit is there to possable give your two hand shooting position something to hold on to without engaging the slide in any way.

trust the membership here, it is not a flaw...:32:

Rio Lobo
10-13-2010, 02:11 PM
like I said, read the thread linked in my last post, it's not really a defect

I read your last post Pender1 and viewed the photos -- which show symmetrical bowing in the polymer dust cover. I agree, some bowing could be expected to be normal as the polymer flexes when the weapon is fired. But again, it should be symmetrical bowing.

What the OP described was, "...bowed from the left side." An asymmetrical bulge would suggest an unequal stress on the left side, or that the left side is weaker than the right side. Allowing it to remain that way could create more bowing on the left side, perhaps causing separation, uneven wear and unequal friction bearing on the rails.

In any event, anything becoming asymmetrical on a semi-auto would bother me.

jocko
10-13-2010, 02:53 PM
the front slide rail is a one peace hard steel rail that is completley embedded within the polymer dust cover. IMO there is no way it can bow, as then the metal itself would also have to bow and that is just not gonna happen.

The OP needs to post a PICTURE also. We are all "guessing" as to what is in his statements to, as we have seen many photos of this "buldging" dust cover and all seem to be exactly the same "by design".

Pender1
10-13-2010, 06:36 PM
the front slide rail is a one peace hard steel rail that is completley embedded within the polymer dust cover. IMO there is no way it can bow, as then the metal itself would also have to bow and that is just not gonna happen.

The OP needs to post a PICTURE also. We are all "guessing" as to what is in his statements to, as we have seen many photos of this "buldging" dust cover and all seem to be exactly the same "by design".

+1 we do need pics

good to see you back btw Jocko

kpm9
10-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Completely normal.

jocko
10-15-2010, 06:04 AM
thanks Pender 1, I tell people I am 75% pain free and the other 25% of pain is just the fact of being married, !!!!!

earle8888
10-15-2010, 11:52 AM
My PM-40 looks the same

deadhead1971
10-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Capone just says the left side. Mine bulges out on the left and right side.

jocko
10-15-2010, 02:11 PM
If I look at my left side of the dust cover with the slide off, the left side looks like it buldges out more but it is an illusion as the left side steel rail is more exposed than the right side steel insert rail, they both being of one peace construction. With the slide on the gun both sides are identical looking..

AFDoc
10-15-2010, 03:19 PM
No offense intended to any of our members posting here but seems like much ado over nothing:rolleyes:... and the OP has flown the coup! Glad you're doing better Jocko.:yo:

AFDoc

Bawanna
10-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Good call AFdoc, you must have read my mind which is a real challenge since the font is so bloody small.

OldLincoln
10-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Shoot, nothin a pair of waterpump pliers can't fix. (JUST KIDDING) I do wonder why the rails are parallel while the poly bulges a bit. Are new from factory like that? Just wondering.

jocko
10-15-2010, 04:30 PM
No offense intended to any of our members posting here but seems like much ado over nothing:rolleyes:... and the OP has flown the coup! Glad you're doing better Jocko.:yo:

AFDoc

agree..