PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Ext Mags Stick?

diablo_svr
10-09-2010, 07:37 PM
PM9: When I press the release the standard mag drops freely, but the
extended mag doesn't. It just moves a tiny amount and sticks.

What causes this and what is the best way to fix?

jocko
10-10-2010, 04:57 AM
all mine stick, they never have dropped free since I bought the gun, I am so now used to it that I kinda like that, as I don't have the magazine flying all over hell if accidentley hitting the mag release.

From what we have read on this forum, the mag sticking thing is more mag related than grip material inside the mag well. You might call kahr and ask if you can send it back for anothe rone and give it a try, no guarantees the next one will be any better. for some people like me, it is a non issue but for some also it is a big issue that they feel should be corrected . Your gun might need a trip back to kahr also. Somehave highly polished the outside of the magazines and around the magaine opening where the mag rleease locks into, with so-so luck. U can't hurt anything by trying that..

diablo_svr
10-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Why do you say..."Your gun might need a trip back to kahr also"?

Does the mag release loosen up over time? Mine is snug and combined
with how much it needs to be depresses before releasing, it seems next
to impossible to accidentally have it release.

Are there any aftermarket mags that are better than the factory ones?

Even the standard mag can sometimes stick if anything gets in it way
when it starts to drop. Like if I accidentally nudge it with my palm or
something.

The mag sticking is very aggravating to me. I'm one of those that
likes them to drop freely.

Bawanna
10-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Why do you say..."Your gun might need a trip back to kahr also"?

Does the mag release loosen up over time? Mine is snug and combined
with how much it needs to be depresses before releasing, it seems next
to impossible to accidentally have it release.

Are there any aftermarket mags that are better than the factory ones?

Even the standard mag can sometimes stick if anything gets in it way
when it starts to drop. Like if I accidentally nudge it with my palm or
something.

The mag sticking is very aggravating to me. I'm one of those that
likes them to drop freely.

Some here have found that cleaning up the mag release itself freed things up and made them drop.
I'd take some relatively fine sand paper and a tongue depressor and gently clean up inside the mag well first to remove burrs and basically clean things up. The next step for me would be to remove the mag release button and insert the mags and see if they drop. If there's no improvement then, it's probably a slightly oversize mag and I'd try to swap it out.
If it is fine without the mag release in place, then that assembly needs to be cleaned up or replaced. There's a thread here someplace where one of us modified it a litle bit and it worked just fine.
I suspect just cleaining up the mag well will improve things. Take the easy steps first and work your way thru the variables.
Keep us posted, we all learn from this stuff.

wyntrout
10-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Polymer is not as stable as metal and there are manufacturing variances and the flexibility of the polymer may cause the inconsistencies like burrs or some warping... heat... cold. Some cautious sanding or just cycling the mags in and out may help.

Wynn

AFDoc
10-10-2010, 07:21 PM
I had the opposite happen. The standard mag stuck and the extended mag fell out freely. I sent the "sticky" magazine back to Kahr and they replaced it with one that fell out freely....after I shot a few rounds through it. I wouldn't send the pistol in though since the standard mag works. in fact, unless you are preparing for a scenario where you need/want three mags I would think you might be fine as is. I'd think you're going to carry the gun with the shorter mag than replace with the extended mag if you carry it. Just my thoughts.