PDA

View Full Version : Older K9s?

JohnR
10-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I found a K9 for sale at a very good price, and from the KarhTalk serial number list it's probably from around 1996. (AH0XXX). Would there be anything to watch out for if I bought this gun? Is it identical in specs to the current production K9?

jocko
10-12-2010, 04:02 PM
it might be a carbon steel version, not sure about that. a call to kahr with the serial numbers will give you a better idea what ur buying. You have no warranty, remember that. If the price is a total steel, probably you should consider it. any chance you can "test" fire it before buying.

JohnR
10-12-2010, 04:11 PM
The gun's in another state and being sold in an online auction. I'd like to make a list of questions for the seller, like what's the material, etc. They say it comes with an 8 round mag, which isn't the current "new" standard, so they're either mistaken or it's not the original mag. No biggie, mags can be bought.

ripley16
10-12-2010, 07:30 PM
From that date it could be stainless, carbon steel or nickle plated. That would be the first question.

The eight round mags fit, they just stick out of the grip.

IMHO a good price for a K9 from that era is anything under $400. I'd pay more for nickle just because they are kind of unusual.

What sights are on it, original or night sights? The Night sights would be fairly weak at this point unless replaced at a later date.

Ask for estimated round count if known by the seller.

Let un know how the auction goes.

JohnR
10-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Turns out it is blackened carbon steel, made in 1998. I'm watching the auction to see how it goes, only one bid so far so I don't want to drive up the price.

ripley16
10-13-2010, 04:26 PM
It's a nice looking gun, but the magazine info is incorrect. That's a standard 7 round mag pictured. Count the witness holes and it's flush with the bottom. But that's OK, the 7 rounder is what should come with it. It should actually have two mags, but that's another matter.

Looks like it might have a stainless guide rod. Comes with the nicer foam case.

I'd pay $400 for it... it looks to be in good shape.

Good luck, I hope you get it.

Bawanna
10-13-2010, 04:39 PM
About the same vintage and look as my K40. Nothing wrong with that. Only 1 bid, might stay pretty reasonable if there isn't alot of interest generated in the next few days.
Now's the hard part, the waiting and the watching.

JohnR
10-14-2010, 06:10 AM
I caught the mag discrepancy, like you say it's fine. Kahr mags are expensive though! $40 for a spare!

bristro
10-14-2010, 10:32 AM
If the gun is the one on gun broker going for $300 I emailed the serial and Kahr responded back with This....... K9 was manufactured on 8/7/97. This is a K9 with a black Birdsong finish. This finish is no longer available on Kahr pistols.
As far as the magazine goes he has it labeled wrong. FYI.

JohnR
10-14-2010, 10:42 AM
That's (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=194242074) the one , but 8/7/97? Are you serious? Here is the email Kahr sent me:

Dear Mr. ____,
Good afternoon. That firearm was made in September of 1998. The firearms finish is indeed blackened carbon steel. I hope this answers your questions and if you have any others please feel free to email or call us at any time.
sincerely,
Jay

Kahr Customer Service
508-795- 3919

Bawanna
10-14-2010, 11:31 AM
If thats the case it makes it even more desireable. Hope other bidders don't see this information. I have a detectives rifle on it's way for a birdsong finish. I have a waiting list of my own to be sent when/if disposable funds ever show themselves.
I'm curious about my K40 now. I'll have to check out the serial number. Probably kick myself since I asked for a stainless slide when the original had to be replaced. Thought I got a great deal, could be the great deal was for them but I like it better anyhow.

JohnR
10-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Someone ended up paying $485 for it. :ohmy: