PDA

View Full Version : 357 Sig

jim
10-12-2010, 10:03 PM
What does everyone think of the 357 Sig. Do you think Kahr will make a pistol in this caliber.

reverend1
10-13-2010, 05:52 AM
I don't think it's a very popular caliber. I doubt Kahr will make anything chambered in .357 Sig.

oldjarhead
10-13-2010, 07:08 AM
The .357 Sig has been around since 1994, and after some problems with early case separations, it has been a good cartridge. It has generally been an expensive round, but I find it not much different from .40 or .45.

Take a listen to the podcast from show #55 at The ProArms Podcast (http://www.proarmspodcast.com). This show is about the rise in popularity of the .357 Sig. It has several gun experts on the panel, including Massad Ayoob. The .357 Sig is becoming a main duty round at PDs around the country. Especially State agencies. I own a Sig Sauer P229 Gen 2, that was originally in .40 S&W. I bought an interchangable .357 barrel for it. More blast, but for some reason, it seems more manageable than the .40. It is an excellent defensive load in my opinion. I use 165g Gold Dot hollowpoints. I think you would like it.

oldjarhead
10-13-2010, 07:13 AM
P.S. For the second question you asked. I actually called Khar after I got my pm9,with the same question of ever making a .357 pistol. I was told that balancing the "pressure" problems need to be worked out for a Kahr pistol, and that there were no immediate plans to build a Kahr .357 pistol.

REACT
10-13-2010, 07:20 AM
I had a G33 for a short time 'cause .357 SIG was the round to have. It didn't last long though. There is too much drama shooting a .357 SIG to get the same size hole as the much calmer 9mm. So, the G33 is long gone and now I'm back to 9mm.

As far as penetration is concerned, I will refer you to an outside source since I have only shot at paper targets, not people.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo (http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#PISTOL AMMUNITION)

Mac4Willy
10-13-2010, 07:33 PM
It is the best round ever made. I have a Sig229 in that cal. One kick ass round.
The PM9 is my pocket gun, would be to small to handle this round.

jim
10-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info I think it's an awesome round to. I have a Sig 226. I believe if our city police and State police carry this round that speaks volumes about it. There putting their lives on the line everyday. I don't think they would carry it if it was not a great round.

jocko
10-14-2010, 06:16 AM
I know of no agency around my area or in our state of Indiand that carrys 357 sig round. If it ain't a 40 cal, it is a 9mm. Our state about 5 years agfo went to the glock 22 (over 1200) and had alot of issues and glock stepped in and replaced them allwith G17 which they carry today and love by the way.

Perrsonally I have never shot a 357 sig, nor do I really desire to. No doubt it is a good caliber, as also is the 10mm, but both never really caught on, doesn't mean they aren't a good round, just means they are not poplular. I don't forsee kahr ever making a 357 round semi. the market is just not there for it IMO. Ammo is sur enot cheap or readily available and defense stuff is limited compared tothe 9mm, 45, 40 cal stuff.

zebraD
10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Personally I would rather see Kahr make a 22LR pistol over a 357Sig.

Bawanna
10-14-2010, 03:09 PM
They are a feed ramps dream come true, like eggs thru a hen. And the cartridge does look cool mostly cause it's just different, sort of like a womans........good but nothing special.

jim
10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I think it would be great if Kahr gave all are wishes. If they came out with all the calibers i've been reading about on this forum. 22,10mm,45gap.

jlottmc
10-16-2010, 02:52 PM
TX DPS and Dallas Pd use 357 sig. The main reason behind it is that the 357 will punch through windshields were the 9mm won't. Few years back we had a gorilla escape from the zoo. Officers I talked to all said that it was the 357's that put it down. DPS loves theirs too. There have been a few incidents around here where the extra punch over the 9mm came in real handy. I have shot a few of them and like them, as far as the limited amount of time that I've spent with them goes. I might buy a Kahr in 357, but then again.

wyntrout
10-24-2010, 04:04 PM
If I'm going to carry a pocket gun where there are critters that see me as a menu item, I'm going to be packing my PM45. 5+1 might not be enough but maybe it will slow them down enough that I can reload.
Since we can carry in Federal Parks now, at least one guy did that with a large bear... very recently... fired about 8 shots, saving himself and his girlfriend, according to the news report. They saw bear signs, looked around and saw the bear looking at them, and then the guy got his .45 out just in time... may have been in his backpack.
I'll bet the liberal tree-huggers are still screaming over that.
Wynn:)

As I was saying:

http://standbyliberty.org/2010/06/10/a-man-shoots-a-grizzly-bear-and-saves-a-woman-the-government-opens-an-investigation-because-it-was-legal-to-carry-the-gun-but-illegal-to-fire-it/

Try this link... funny... it works:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/a-hunter-a-bear