PDA

View Full Version : My K9 with reworked wood grips, hex head screws

dusty10
10-19-2010, 07:57 PM
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp182/packers1960/woodgripk90001.jpg

Here's a pic of my K9 with reshaped grips. I kind of bobtailed the back edge of the grips and rounded all sharp corners on them at mag well.
I stripped all the finish off and stained with a dark brown stain. Then I applied three coats Awlgrip Clear two-part polyurethane. Rubbed them down to a satin finish which is now impervious to sweat, oil, etc. They are also not as slippery in hand. Final touch was s.s. hex head grip screws.

I really liked the factory rubber grips but they would occasionally grab my shirt when IWB carrying. These reworked wood grips eliminate much of that problem for me.

Bawanna
10-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Did the 3 coats of poly plug up the checkering or were they checkered? Can't really tell. They look real nice. Just gotta love wood.

dusty10
10-19-2010, 09:47 PM
They weren't checkered. I felt that bobtail mod would cut into the checkering, making for an odd looking detail. The poly is not as slippery as factory finish on those grips.

Bawanna
10-19-2010, 11:05 PM
I did nearly the same bobtail on the grips I made for my K40. It really improved the overall feel in my hand anyway. Seem to be on a bobtail kick lately for some reason. Bobtailed my Para, then the K40, then got my Cbob.
It's bobtail paradise in my house.

GOOFA
10-20-2010, 02:29 AM
dusty10...
Excellent job with those grips. Thats one good looking K9.

g26s239
11-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Those look really nice dusty.

dusty10
11-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks but I'm thinking of stripping them down and staining them black. I like an all black look better on a black frame gun.

Bawanna
11-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks but I'm thinking of stripping them down and staining them black. I like an all black look better on a black frame gun.

Don't waste your time staining those lovely grips. Wait for a piece of ebony. That will make your dreams come true.
Staining is a gamble, sometimes it comes out ok and sometimes it just never quite makes it. Those are real pretty just like they are and someone would be thrilled to have their gun wear em.

dusty10
11-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Time is the one thing I don't have to waste. You're right, I'm on the hunt for that perfect piece of ebony to have the best of both cosmetic and functional worlds. In other words, K9 heaven...:D

Warhammer
11-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Looks great, Dusy!

Fireman1037
12-28-2010, 12:03 PM
My E9 is black on black, I worried how it would look with the wood, Yours is a beauty, If you find your elusive ebony I would happily buy those off you!
Fireman1037

Bawanna
12-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I've always assumed that the K9 and the K40 use exactly the same frame and hence grips would interchange. Anybody dispute this?

I have a pretty piece of ebony on my bench as we speak. Still not up to snuff to start whittling on it but the day will come.

Jeff00042
12-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Where did you find the stainless hex-head schrews?

Warhammer
12-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Short (thin grip) screws for a 1911 will work. You can get then from Brownell's or any other gun parts website/catalog.

gb6491
12-29-2010, 10:30 AM
I have a pretty piece of ebony on my bench as we speak. Still not up to snuff to start whittling on it but the day will come.
Bawanna does nice work. Somebody needs to get him started on a set of grips using that ebony. If I hadn't already ordered grips for my new 1911, I'd be pestering him about that wood.
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Ole Bawanna is still moving a bit slow but moving better. The only downfall to me is you gotta have patience. Don't take much to keep me booked. I'd love to build you a set of grips for that 1911 or whatever else. I'd love to build everyone a set, just that darn time thing.

I think if RD2K likes a dark grip I might make her a set for her MK. I got a big hunk of Lace wood that is really pretty too but I'm not sure what it will look like checkered. Sometimes checkering just makes the grain go away. I know leopard wood is that way.

Coco bolo is always popular too. It varies so much it's almost always different, speaking of which I better go try and do a little on Old Lincolns 1911 grips. Nearly ready for checkering as I recall.

jlottmc
12-29-2010, 02:41 PM
If memory serves, you also have a nice chunk of Mesquite that'll make every one here a set or two of grips.

Bawanna
12-29-2010, 02:52 PM
A very large junk of mesquite that I'm anxious to see what it looks like inside since I never played with it. We're snowed in again so the wife didn't take it to the mill to get cut to a maneagable size yet. It's resting comfortably next to my bench in pre op I guess you could say.

TD2K
12-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Bawanna does nice work. Somebody needs to get him started on a set of grips using that ebony. If I hadn't already ordered grips for my new 1911, I'd be pestering him about that wood.
Regards,
Greg

I have my name in the pot. :D Sounds like I might need to send him some homemade cookies or something to get him healed so he can get to work.

Bawanna
12-29-2010, 09:45 PM
I have my name in the pot. :D Sounds like I might need to send him some homemade cookies or something to get him healed so he can get to work.

Well of course your names in the pot. I got half of Old Lincolns grips first pass of checkering done. I'm hoping to maybe even finish them tomorrow.
Then your at the top of the list. I'm gone whittle mesquite for Jlott similtaneously as soon as I get his hunk of mesquite cut down to where I can work it some.

I'm just hoping the MK I borrowed is the same, the pics you sent sure look like it. I know I have an early model and thought the later models were different but maybe only the Elite????

I gotta check my notes too, I think there's a couple others that were wanting ebony so I could be one of them half armed paper hangers for awhile. Hopefully only half walls, I ain't very tall and I don't do ladders.