PDA

View Full Version : Has the PM40 Been Fixed Yet?!

Ninjatarian
10-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Well, I feel a little frustrated. I bought a used Kahr PM40 at the end of winter, '08 model. I put about 150 rounds through it before I found it had the barrel peening issue, I could feel it catching on the top of the slide when racking it. I sent it back and they warrantied it without a problem. They basically replaced everything except the frame and trigger, I could see some slight changes from the old slide and barrel. I shot about 80 rounds on July 4th, no issues. Shot another 120 rounds yesterday, got one FTE, it got stuck in the chamber. When I went to clean it again I found ever so slight peening in a different spot. Is it worth sending back again? Is this problem fixed on the new PM40? I would have thought I got all the updated parts. I just cant seem to find another gun that compares to the PM40, I thought about the MK40 but its hefty and thicker.

kpm9
10-20-2010, 05:19 AM
Some wear should be expected. Depends on how bad it is really.

jocko
10-20-2010, 06:07 AM
where is this ever so slight peening at
?

still doesn't mean you could not have gotten a lemon

PM sent

jlottmc
10-20-2010, 08:11 AM
I wasn't aware there was anything wrong with the pm40. In fact, that's on the list of toys to acquire when the funds open up a bit more.

Ninjatarian
10-20-2010, 08:13 AM
The original peening occurred on the top lip of the breach face, it pushed up a pretty decent bur. The new peening is now on the left side of the breach face, where one of the flats is machined in. My thought is that it must have something to do with the frame, perhaps its flexing and allowing the slide and barrel to hit, so replacing the barrel would really only be a temporary fix until I put another few hundred rounds down it. I'll try giving them a call today. I am thinking about trading it for a PPS or something. Its my daily carry gun and it doesn't exactly instill confidence when it does this.

Ninjatarian
10-20-2010, 08:16 AM
I wasn't aware there was anything wrong with the pm40. In fact, that's on the list of toys to acquire when the funds open up a bit more.

Its kind of a notorious issue especially with the earlier ones. I found this out after it happened to mine and I started poking around. I guess the pressure from the .40 overwhelms the chassis unlike the 9mm version.

Ninjatarian
10-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Well after looking at all .40 cals to maybe replace my Kahr, I decided there are none. I called Kahr and I am sending it back again. I just cant give the thing up, maybe if I hadn't given it a name it would be easier to get rid of but now its like giving up a child for adoption.

earle8888
10-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Hmmmmm! I bought a used PM40. Fired casing envelope says Jan, 2004. Have approx 2500 rounds through it. Replaced springs, NO indication of peening! Pocket carry everyday, w CTL, love it. Small enough and a bunch more than 9mm corte!

garyb
10-28-2010, 08:14 AM
I have had my PM40 with night sights and CTL for about 2 weeks and love the combination. Put Agrips on it. Have fired over 300 rounds and not one single problem. Everything on this new PM40 works like a charm and it is a fine pocket carry piece. Also have a Gould and Goodrich paddle/belt conversion leather holster which is nice for my walks in the woods or at the range. I plan to compete in IDPA with this rig next year, but need to get more 6 round mags and mag holsters first.

jocko
10-28-2010, 09:32 AM
the PM40 has been fixed but some will still get one with a glitch in it. that is what good warranty and good CS is for to. Man makes um, man fooks up ....

Ninjatarian
11-04-2010, 07:37 PM
So Kahr called me back, claimed it was a massive bur and the ground it off and are sending it back. I know it didnt have this bur from the get-go and I have a hard time believeing its normal for a monster bur to develope right where the peaning was during break in. I looked at a new PM40 and noticed the polymer used for the frame seems harder (mine scratches easilly) and also seems thicker in the front. So, right now I am pretty set on just selling it and buying something else. Either a newer PM40, MK40, Rohrbough 9mm, S&W Airweight .357. I would really prefer another PM or MK but after this one and Kahr seeming to refuse to admit any problem it makes me want to say no way.

Ninjatarian
11-11-2010, 01:23 AM
150 rounds through it today and it was flawless, no signs of peaning or "burs" being pushed up, looks like i'll keep it. Hopin gall the issues are behind me

kramm
11-11-2010, 05:00 AM
Thats good to hear. I had a few issues with my pm45, it made three trips back to get it going right. It's been great since it was there the last time.
It would be hard for me to find a replacement for it , it fits my needs so well.

dusty10
11-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Glad it's running right for you now. As posted earlier, there's nothing out there that you would really want to replace it with. Kudos to Kahr customer service.