PDA

View Full Version : CW45 and Hornady XTP HP Bullets

morocj4
09-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I have a CW45 and it eats right thru all FMJ and every HP bullet (Golden Sabre, etc.) I have tried except for Hornady TAP FPD 230 GR. The slide will not go into battery. The OD of the bullet starts to pick up on the lands of the rifling before the casing can headspace and seat. These bullets are more conical than spherical shape of the FMJ of Golder Sabre's. It looks to me the chamber should have some counterbore the depth of the rifling grooves to provide relief for some portion of the bullet that extends beyond the rim of the casing. I checked the casing and cartridge overall lengths and they are within the .45 ACP remommendations. Also my Sig P220 and Springfield XD have no issues with the cartridges. Anyone else have similar issues?

jason29072
09-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Interesting... my P45 baulked at ejecting a live Hornady JHP round. It took three times the amount of force to open the slide than it does when ejecting a Speer Gold Dot or any target load that's been chambered. The round in question was chambered with the method prescribed in the manual using the slide stop and the slide did go into battery.

Needless to say, I found another carry round. Anyone else have issues with Hornady ammunition?

jocko
09-15-2009, 03:00 PM
yup, to many other good rounds out there than to let one brand sour your feeling about your kahr or for that matter any gun. Many guns are ammo sensitive. Normally kahrs are not thart way at all. I have read that about Hornady also in ar15 forum not doing well in cw45. Sounds like an OAL issue of Hornady due to bullet design. To many good "other" rounds out there..

My kahr P380 would not cycle 102 grain golden sabres as they bullet was to big and hitting the inside of the slide lock lever causing premature slide locking open. I like the round but I just went withthe corbon 90 hp and it works perfect. Again I had to many other good defense rounds out there to let it bother me that much..

kpm9
09-15-2009, 04:00 PM
I've had the same issue with Hornady HP's in my PM9. Everything else is fine, I think they just don't like the angled/truncated HP design.

johnh
09-24-2009, 06:25 PM
I do not want to seem a critic of Hornady here because I think they do make some really good bullets. I use 9mm TAP in my defensive pistols using that caliber. Having said that, I have had similar issues with XTPs in the past. Small guns are a little more quirky in feeding 45 in my experience than larger ones. With the XTP you have a pretty sharp angle in the bullet to correctly nose up the ramp. I would suggest trying a different brand or at least product line. No doubting Hornady quality, just may not be the right fit for your CW.

John

Tactics
10-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Ive had the same issue with the hornaday +p jhp not going into full battery on my pm45. I have to agree with the consensus on this thread that hornaday makes good ammo, they just don't seem to work well in Kahrs.

ripley16
10-15-2009, 07:09 AM
...TAP FPD 230 GR. The slide will not go into battery.

I'm very surprised to read this thread. My experience has been the exact opposite. I've had problems with more rounded (bulbous) bullets, such as the solid copper rounds, seating properly in the chamber in a Kahr as well as other pistols.

I've never had a round with the XTP bullet fail to go to battery in any gun or caliber. I don't see how it is possible that such a conical shape could cause the problem. What and where is it catching on to prevent the case from seating all the way in the chamber?