PDA

View Full Version : CW9 Guide Rod and Recoil spring

yqtszhj
10-20-2010, 04:28 PM
2 questions:

1. How often would a CW9 recoil spring need to be replaced (by round count, until some problem comes up, etc...)?

2. I see where the stainless guide rod is available for the CW9. Is it worth it? more durable? makes it more dependable? I see where the factory guide rod shows that it may wear after time since putting about 350 rounds through it.

All recomendations welcome.

jocko
10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
1500 rounds and the stainless rod is more durable, but alot more in cost and the factory guide rods seem to work just fine. Your factory guide rod will show wear but it doesn't effect anything. But if stainless floats ur boat, go for it..

cw9 is one super gun by the way.

jocko
10-20-2010, 05:05 PM
I have way agree with you, but in defense of the OP. I would not consider a stainless recoil rod as over kill. besides that it doesn't come on the PM or P series either. I never considered the cw as a "cheaper" gun. to me that depicts less quality parts in it and certainly a standard rifled barrel is not "cheap" in quality. Actualy some like the regular rifled barrels better due to being able to shoot lead ammo. Accuracy wise, the polygonal and standard rifled barrels are the same. roll engraving although nice doesn't make the gun better in reliablilty. I don't own a cw as I opted for the smaller PM9 but I have no doubts the cw will shoot just as long and just as accurate as my PM9 and P series would. Not sure I would want to ever change barrels in a cw with any other barrel offered. Probably a waste of money and certainly you won't get any return back from it

For sure u can't make a cadillac out of an edsel either so your point ryoung is well taken to.

I think the cw is probably kahrs most cost efficient quality gun. certainly next to the pM9 it is kahrs best selling semi. Internal parts of a cw are the same quality of all kahrs....actually all the parts in the cw slide are interchangeable with any kahr slide. I don't know of any difference in the quality of the parts in the lower section either. the trigger system is identical in design. all cw's are 3/8" trigger travel like all high dollar kahrs (except the nypd K9 series).

Bawanna
10-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Exactly what they said. I would emphasize that the CW is a great little gun without doubt. It's sort of Kahrs value line. It'll do everything a P or PM will do nearly as well and in some cases better. I'd certainly not hold my head down or be ashamed, many prefer the looks of it and the conventional rifled barrel over the other options. If you wanna shoot lead bullets thats the gun to do it with.
It's nice that there are more options available for it, sights and guide rods and stuff so if (highly unlikely) you ever wear out a guide rod you can replace it with stainless if you want.

yqtszhj
10-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks. I'll replace the recoil spring sometime after the first 1000+ rounds. I'll keep the factory guide rod since it's kinda a non issue. Just want to keep it running as smooth as it is now..

On any upgrades, no offense taken. I like the CW9. Cost effective, very good reviews, hits what I shoot at, very sweet so far. I'll only upgrade if it gains me somthing. It's like I tell the wife, "why do we need leather seats, climate control, and factory installed tea rose air freshner in a truck" (just kidding on the air freshner). Give me cloth seats and a floor board I can put the water hose to when it's dirty. Now oil changes, good tires, regular maintenance that's different. That's what makes sure I get there when I need too. Same with the CW9.

Thanks all.

wyntrout
10-20-2010, 06:21 PM
I would buy a recoil spring before 1000 rounds, but wait until I noticed any problems... kind of don't FIX it if it ain't broke. I bought spares for my PM9 and K9 at Wolff along with a complete spring kit for my S&W 645.

The last time I checked, there weren't any springs available yet for the P380 or the PM45. My K9 is running on its 13-year-old recoil spring, but I sent the slide to Trijicon and got the Night Sights ($58!) replaced because they had dimmed too much... by half at least. The recoil spring is still a bear... tight... like new.

The S&W kit had every spring in the gun... I didn't need any... really... but now I have a mess of spare springs for anything, especially magazine springs. I can't believe how many little springs there are!

I was ordering stuff and trying to get everything I might need and save some postage.
I'll keep watching and hope Wolff gets some P380 and PM45 stuff... .45 stuff especially.

Wynn:)

bulletnose
10-20-2010, 06:35 PM
You might want to checkout the "SteveBedairGuideRod" thread in this forum. Some good info and as far as his product is concerned, it is top quality. I put one in my P9 and am very pleased. Check it out, you will also save a few bucks over the factory part. ;)

Bawanna
10-20-2010, 06:58 PM
You might want to checkout the "SteveBedairGuideRod" thread in this forum. Some good info and as far as his product is concerned, it is top quality. I put one in my P9 and am very pleased. Check it out, you will also save a few bucks over the factory part. ;)

Good guy, I put one on my K40. Makes really nice stuff, save a few bucks and he ships wicked fast too.

yqtszhj
10-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Anybody know if the Wolff springs for the K9 are the same and will work for the CW9? I looked at Wolff previously and nothing was listed for the CW9 but they did have the K9 and the barrel is about the same legnth.

I did look at the guide rods at Steve Bedair Guiderod and saw where it was a bit cheaper. Looks like Kahr shipping is where they charge you a bit more.

MW surveyor
10-26-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm also interested in finding out if the Wolff K9 recoil springs would fit in the CW 9.

jocko
10-26-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm also interested in finding out if the Wolff K9 recoil springs would fit in the CW 9.

u could buy the K9 springs and try them in the cw9. I can't see how it is going to hurt one thing..

I can assure you, if you ask wolffs is they will interchange they will tell you know. that is their policy, still doesn't mean it won't work. Heh, guys have used the kel teck 330 recoil springs in their ruger lcp's with great success, until wolffs finally came out with springs for the lcp.