PDA

View Full Version : k40 help!

barbershop1911
10-21-2010, 02:25 PM
So I'm new to the site and I'm hoping that someone or everyone can help me... I just purchased a k40 (brand new) and am looking for 2 different holsters, as i plan on using the k40 as my ccw... Normally I carry "Small of back", but I am willing to try something new... However I would prefer to small of back if possible... also I would like a shoulder holster for other carrying purposes... I thank you all ahead of time and any comment, ideas, suggestions are welcome! :yo:

Bawanna
10-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Welcome, the K40 is a great gun. Read the proper prep of your new kahr before Jocko rains on ya hard. It'll help alot. Good info, its in the tech section, theres also a great lube chart there as well.
I like the Galco SSII shoulder holster and it would work great on a K40. You'll have to check as I don't recall if they make one for that gun but maybe so. It's very very close to a 1911 and some of my holsters interchange but the Galco thumb break don't quite make it around the Kahr K40.
I dont do SOB carry so I'll let some of the vertical members here address that one.

Warhammer
10-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I don't carry SOB or in a shoulder rig, so I can't be much help there. Since you said you are willing to try something new, you might try IWB as an alternative to SOB carry. Kahrs are nice and narrow and lend themselves well to IWB carry.

barbershop1911
10-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Thank you both for the info, as i have a IWB that i will try (never tried it)... Bawanna i have multiple 1911's and just tried my black widow #5 and the K40 fits like a glove... But I'm wondering if it will deform the holster so that my 1911's do not fit properly? if you think it will, ill just have to buy a new one for the k40... i will say the OWB #5 doesn't feel to darn bad with the k40 in it!...

Bawanna
10-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I was concerned about that as well but routinely went back and forth between 1911 and K40. I suppose it would depend on the holster but I had no problems. I've since went to a PM45 so the K40 is resting comfortably in my toy box. Sadly the PM45 doesn't fit well in other holsters although I did after some effort make it work in my Galco ankle holster that previously worked for the K40 or an officers model 1911. I suspect that one may not fit the K40 quite as well now but should still work if needed.
1911 do seem to work in some of the PM45 holsters though so things are still very close.

barbershop1911
10-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Well that is great to know! i think ill be wearing that setup then! Since u have been really helpful with the holster situation maybe u have a suggestion on night sites for it as well? since it will be my primary ccw i believe without a doubt night sites are a must... any ideas?

Bawanna
10-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Just my own personal opinion but I'm a devout fan of XS Big Dots or standard dots depending on the gun.
On a K40 I'd without question go Big Dots. On larger guns, 1911's I like the standard dot.
Some don't like them so you may not either. Actually the set on my PM45 came from ryoung right here on kahrtalk. He didn't get along with them and went to a conventional 3 dot setup since thats what he's used to.
Theres a few threads here discussing this with pics and stuff.
There's lots of good options out there.

Warhammer
10-21-2010, 05:57 PM
I'll second the XS Big Dot. I don't have them on my K40 yet, but it's my next purchase for this gun. I really like the "lollipop" sight picture. It's the closest I've seen to the OEM Kahr sights (which I also really like).