PDA

View Full Version : CW9 Anything else I should know?

MW surveyor
10-22-2010, 04:59 AM
Picked up a new CW 9 yesterday :cool: and will be doing the initial gun and magazine cleaning, lube, racking the slide 500 times and then run the breakin rounds as recommended in the Tech forum. Also printed out the lube points diagram.

Is there anything else I should do to ensure the breakin goes well?

BTW - I have 4 other semiauto pistols and two revolvers and have been shooting on and off for the last 45 years.

Thanks for any input.

Jim

jocko
10-22-2010, 06:02 AM
welcome aboard, now just go out and shoot it like u stole it. nice gun, really is. Ur gonna like it alot.

Bawanna
10-22-2010, 09:46 AM
What he said. I think your there. Tell us all about it when you get back. If you got a camera evidence photos are always nice.
You've approached it all right, I think your gonna get along just fine.

MW surveyor
10-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome. :yo:

Hope to get out either Saturday or Monday/Tuesday to start the breakin. I'll let you know how it goes. Present plan is to run 100 rounds factory first then 100 rounds my reloads. If I get a chance, I'll be making up some test loads for a different powder and test those also. If all goes well, may put about 249 rounds through the gun. If it will work with reduced power reloads. If not, then what ever it will cycle :p

Bawanna
10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Good plan on the 100 factory first. I suspect that it will not like reduced power loads much this early in the game but maybe so. In my experience they seem to thrive on slightly hotter loads. Perhaps as it's well broken in it may get along fine with them too.
You might also save 20 or 30 of those factory loads in case it balks with reloads, you can go back and confirm it's a reload or a gun issue.
Hope it just runs perfect.

MW surveyor
10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Good idea (guess I'll bring 150 rounds of factory ammo). May only work up from mid point to full power loads on the test loads. The other loads are 4.6 gr of Bullseye under a 125 grn RNL max load for this is 4.9 gr. My CZ likes them but its recoil spring isn't as tight as it is in this new gun. If they work, they work, if not, I'll load up some hotter loads for the CW 9. :)

BTW - racking the slide is tedious. Had to put a glove on my left hand to get them all in :(

rkirk
10-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Enjoy shooting your new CW9. If you don't know load from slide lock and you should shoot trouble free. Thats the way my CW9 experience worked. What a great pistol! Man I sounded like a pro!

-- Richard

stiletto
10-22-2010, 03:54 PM
I found my CW9 ran much better through break-in when it is clean and well lubed. If you start having issues on the range, see if it is dirty or dry. Do a quick range cleaning and see if the issues immediately clear up.

Bawanna
10-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Enjoy shooting your new CW9. If you don't know load from slide lock and you should shoot trouble free. Thats the way my CW9 experience worked. What a great pistol! Man I sounded like a pro!

-- Richard

Of course you sound like a pro. Anybody ask have them contact me, I'll tell em your a pro. It's good for you pros to remind us of some of these things, little things like that we forget after doing it for awhile, we do it without thingking and expect new folks to know it. A little reminder never hurts.

MW surveyor
10-23-2010, 02:05 PM
:yo: First of all, thanks to everyone that responded, the stickies in Tech section, and searching through the forum (to find out if others were having problems).

Ran 200 rounds through the CW9 with no FTF (feed or fire), FTE. Started with the 115 gr factory ammo and except for the first shot (low by about 6" but in line with the bull) all of the 85 or so rounds were within a 3" bull at 7 yards:D. Went to my hand loads next and had no problems with 100 rounds of these but had to adjust my aim point. These were 125 gr using 4.4 gr of Bullseye. Group opened a bit to about 4 to 5 inches but was to be expected as the recoil was a bit more than the factory stuff :eek: and the bullets were not FMJ nor were they consitant in their seating depth (problem with the QC from the manufacturer, won't be buying them again!) Then ran 15 rounds of JHP also no problems.

The only problem that I encountered was with the 8 round mag using the factory ammo. I hit the release on its first shot. Never had the problem reappear after moving my stupid thumb :o to where it should have been in the first place.

This is definately a keeper and I couldn't be happier. Trigger is nice and consistant pull really helps. Will probably replace the front sight with a fiber optic as I do have some problem with focus on it due to friggen age.

rkirk
10-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks, Bawanna45cal! MW surveyor good range report. I am sure you will shoot better with each range session. I CCW my CW9 and wore it to the range last Thursday. I intended to shoot my XD9 on an IDPA range five of us setup, but I could not resist trying the CW9. So after three runs with the XD I switched to the CW9. I shot the Kahr better than the XD. Our stage included two targets to be shot on the move, two behind hard cover and one behind a hostage. Last three targets to be shot around a wall week hand only. Two to the body for each target for a total of 16 rounds. For me that was two magazine changes. Finishing three turns with the CW9 with decent scores was a real confidence builder for me to carry the CW9.

-- Richard

MW surveyor
10-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I think shooting my CZ DA for the first shot and also running my SP 101 357 in DA most of the time helped out alot. However, the CW 9's trigger DA is very good. Not as light as my SP 101 but since it is constant, it helps to "pull through" the shot.

rkirk - Three mag changes is a bit but I don't think that you can use a large capacity extended mag in IDPA ;). Guy next to me was shooting a Glock with what I think was a 22 round mag. Geez, if you need that many rounds get an AK or AR.

Once again, thanks to all.

BTW - No photos today as Saturday at the range I frequent is extremely crowded and the RO's barely have enough time to change the targets. When I go during the week, it's just me and a couple of other old farts. My job allows me to work from home and the range is less than 3 miles away. The internet is a goood thing.

slowpoke
10-23-2010, 08:24 PM
You're guna love that gun. I found my CW40 to shoot much better than I expected from a small gun after I got used to the trigger.
"0" Failures of "any" sort.
150 rounds so far.
Did the recommended pre-lube when I first got it.

rkirk
10-23-2010, 08:57 PM
It is just us old dogs, not an official IDPA. We take our cardboard targets and our own wood lath and use gun club stands. One of us operates as a safety officer with a timer while one is on the start point. We trade out roles until we all have a turn. It works to maintain range safety and develops good firearm habits. A win win for all of us. Plus its great fun. We usually shoot a hundred or one hundred fifty rounds each during the day. :cheer2:

-- Richard

mr surveyor
10-26-2010, 07:21 PM
wow....take a few days off and come back and find I have a new cousin.

welcome to KahrTalk MW Surveyor

surv (the other one)

Bawanna
10-26-2010, 07:32 PM
And both from Texarcana too. Must be a gosh darn conspiracy.

MW surveyor
10-27-2010, 06:46 AM
mr surveyor

I'm of the marine type for physical property like ships, barges, boats, offshore drilling and production units. I am also on a couple of other forums and have also seen your screen name elsewhere.

Bawanna - Yea, it probably is.