PDA

View Full Version : Cautions on cleaning polymer and nickel

taxifolia
11-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Talked to Bawanna about this - he said some is old stuff, but still worth posting. This is compilation of my notes while talking with Ian (KAHR tech suport). I hope I got it all right - this is what I understood - don't hold Ian or me to it.

1. KAHR does not recommend using automotive cleaners on KAHRs (eg., NAPA 08880). They recommend only products specifically made for guns.
2. For polymer frames, eg. PM45s, only use a cleaner that is safe for plastics. Do not use an "aggressive" cleaner on polymer (plastic). If label says OK for "plastic" then OK. I use Gunscrubber Synthetic Safe for my other guns. The label says "will not harm plastic". There is another Gunscrubber I used in the past that was not labeled Synthetic Safe and I think I still see it in the stores. Ian said Gunscrubber Synthetic Safe is OK on polymer. GS more expensive that 08880, but considering cost of our guns, cheap investment.
3. The black KAHRs are DLC (POCKET POWER KAHRS (http://www.kahr.com/PA-1B/review_police0905.html)). They used to use black oxide, but discontinued. (Side note - my Kimbers have black oxide as I understand. Kimber told me to keep Gunscrubber off, which is hard to do when cleaning. I always wipe it off and follow up with oil rub down.)
4. Here's the one that really got my attention. All KAHR barrel bores are nickel plated (and some other parts ???). I also think maybe some M16 variants have nickel plated barrel bores ???.
5. To clean, do not use any cleaner that says "Do not use on nickel". OK to use cleaners that say "Caution with nickel". As with Hoppe's, do not leave it on for long.
6. Hoppes's #9 is OK to use, BUT do not leave it on for an "extended" period. Use it then wipe it dry.
7. Nickel can / will turn black with some / all ??? cleaners, even with Hoppe's. The nickel can chip and start flaking off. I think Ian said that is cosmetic and won't affect function, but I sure would not want to get to the point of nickel flaking off in a barrel.

As above, do not hold us to it - this is what I understood. Do your own research.

tax

jocko
11-02-2010, 12:32 AM
one can look up what is in gunscrubber and Napa 08880 non cholorinated cleaners and find they are almost exact, only difference is gun scrubber is 3X more expensiveand smells better... I can understand why kahr would say that, Just like Harley davidson, they say only to use their brand oil in there bikes, which is B. S. but what would you expect from a company that sells oil with there name on it that is made by a major oil company.

I have no issues with anyone using a cleaner other than NAPA o8880 brand cleaner. But I can assure u of one thing. that stuff will do no more harm to your polymer pistol than gun Scrubber will. THAT IS A FACT.. to my knowledge hundreds of shooters use the Napa 08880 non cholorinated cleaner and I have never read one complaint from any one as to damage to their plastic gun. Course I know many harley Riders that will run nothing in their Harley's except harley oil. My my the power of advertising....

joje
11-02-2010, 08:36 AM
what do you expect kahr to say? :)

"yes folks, go ahead and use automotive products on your kahrs, just make sure to stay away from cleaner containing any of the following 251 chemical substances, oh, and the following 141 compounds are only ok as long as ppm doesnt exceed x. etc etc etc"

its the same as with reloads; if you know what you're doing its perfectly safe and actually better food for your gun than store bought ammo, but there is not a single manufacturer out there that will approve of it - for reason of liability.

ps the walmart blue clorine free brake cleaner is dirt cheap and does not wreck polymer, its empirically proven :)

Bawanna
11-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Tax, do I get some sort of gold star for predicting the future?

I told him we'd get these responses and I actually said the same thing you guys said even down to the reloading scenario, we just felt there was enough information directly from Kahr that it should be shared with some of the new folks. Mostly the part about the nickel barrels and stuff.

Now days it's all about liability and of course they aren't gonna endorse anything that cause them grief.

taxifolia
11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
OK - Bawanna you were right - yes, I give you a Gold Star. Did you say jocko's blood pressure would rise ? :)

Jocko - I did buy 2 cans of 08880 last weekend - lucked out - it was on sale - $1.99 each. Called KAHR afterwards. Now my question is do I use GS or NAPA - right now I'm thinking don't worry - use either or both on the new PM4544.

On membership - last time I checked "How old are we" I was second oldest. How many posts will it take to be "Senior member" - 100 ? - does 5 KAHRs qualify ? - do I need 100 posts ? (won't be around long enuf to hit 1K). How about "Honorary Senior Member" ? If not, maybe I'll just post about 65 more times just to say "Hi guys, still alive" till I hit the maybe magic 100.

tax

Bawanna
11-02-2010, 12:30 PM
OK - Bawanna you were right - yes, I give you a Gold Star. Did you say jocko's blood pressure would rise ? :)

Jocko - I did buy 2 cans of 08880 last weekend - lucked out - it was on sale - $1.99 each. Called KAHR afterwards. Now my question is do I use GS or NAPA - right now I'm thinking don't worry - use either or both on the new PM4544.

On membership - last time I checked "How old are we" I was second oldest. How many posts will it take to be "Senior member" - 100 ? - does 5 KAHRs qualify ? - do I need 100 posts ? (won't be around long enuf to hit 1K). How about "Honorary Senior Member" ? If not, maybe I'll just post about 65 more times just to say "Hi guys, still alive" till I hit the maybe magic 100.

tax

Yup, I think it's 100. You'll make it no problem, you just have to give up normal life as we know it and hang out here or have a job where you can bounce in and out sort of hit and run fashion.
I've got less than a hundred to go and I'm on the mandatory 6 month hiatus. Kind of sucks, what will I do for 6 months without Kahr talk.
I know I gotta whittle out them grips for ryoung, that'll be a good start.
I wouldn't advise the 65 post saying hi, you'll be labeled a scenter and possibly despised by our more serious members, I think theres 3 now.
Thanks for the gold star, my life is complete for today.
JOcko, blood pressure is a good thing, I meant it in a nice way. 08880 RULES.

Tilos
11-02-2010, 12:35 PM
taxiflia:
Start scenting every thread, everyday, and you'll be there before you know it.

Or start WTS toaster ovens.

just sayin'
Tilos

taxifolia
11-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Bawanna - already gave up normal life years ago - have many other things I should do, but always find an excuse to avoid and do my gun stuff - life's only real fun. Have enjoyed reading your posts, our PMs and e-mails. Keep up the spirit - that's what keeps us young.

On grips what are you whittling out ? I wanted KAHR wood grips for my MK9 a few years ago but learned from Clayton (miss him - he was awesome support, he and Jason fixed problem with one of my 9098s) grips did not fit my early GA series MK9 - wish they did - I bought same for daughter's Lady K9 - sure look good.

Hope all you folks voted the "right" way today - 2nd Amendment and all.

tax

Bawanna
11-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Bawanna - already gave up normal life years ago - have many other things I should do, but always find an excuse to avoid and do my gun stuff - life's only real fun. Have enjoyed reading your posts, our PMs and e-mails. Keep up the spirit - that's what keeps us young.

On grips what are you whittling out ? I wanted KAHR wood grips for my MK9 a few years ago but learned from Clayton (miss him - he was awesome support, he and Jason fixed problem with one of my 9098s) grips did not fit my early GA series MK9 - wish they did - I bought same for daughter's Lady K9 - sure look good.

Hope all you folks voted the "right" way today - 2nd Amendment and all.

tax

ryoung has a Sig 22 something 226/229, I'm trying to make grips for. It's a bugger for sure, lots of stuff to work around inside and out but I've made it a personal challenge. I have access to an early MK9 and a K40 that I believe will fit the K9 also. Wish I could get frames for the others. Kahrs are a challenge also on the inside but nothing like that Sig.

dusty10
11-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Bawanna, I'm kinda bummed to hear of this impending 6 month vacation from Kahrtalk. If you need more stuff to do, whittle me some ebony grips for my K9. The time will fly by with enough projects. :D

Bawanna
11-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Bawanna, I'm kinda bummed to hear of this impending 6 month vacation from Kahrtalk. If you need more stuff to do, whittle me some ebony grips for my K9. The time will fly by with enough projects. :D

How old is the K9 and is it the Elite? If its the early version I'll start whittling. If it's new I'll continue the search trying to find one to fit too.

dusty10
11-02-2010, 07:22 PM
It's not an elite. Serial # AR73 would show manufacture between April 2004 and Jan. 2005.

Bawanna
11-02-2010, 07:28 PM
I think I gotcha covered there Dusty. I gotta make a ebony run, I don't think I gotta a big enough piece left for a K9 set but I think I know where there is some.
I'll put ya on the list.

dusty10
11-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Roger that B. Make em' black as pitch. Black as Houston gumbo. :)

Bawanna
11-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Roger that B. Make em' black as pitch. Black as Houston gumbo. :)

Checkered I presume? I'm on it.

dusty10
11-02-2010, 09:30 PM
yep and give 'em the Bawanna bobtail too. :D

earle8888
11-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Whats this about six months off???

Bawanna
11-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Unwritten rule. When you hit 4000 post your sent to a leper island for hiatus for 6 months. I'm pacing myself, only got like 60 to go or so.
6 months without all me pals, surely Purgatory would be better than that.