PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Holster Users... Advice?

Warhammer
11-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm interested in what shoulder holsters have worked best for folks here and what features in particular they liked or didn't like. I'm thinking about making a shoulder rig, so I'm hunting for ideas on the details. In particular, what are folks' feelings on rigs with tie-downs versus those without? What about mag holders: horizontal or vertical? Angle that the gun hangs: level, butt down...?

jlottmc
11-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Well, I seldom use one any more, but I tend to like the nylon ones that carry my pistol vertically, tie down to my belt while also snapping around my belt, and my extra mags are angled closer to horizontal to keep them from dumping when I grab one. Wide straps are a great thing at least in the shoulder area. Retention straps are a must for me as well. Bianchi had a rig for the UM-12 holster that would make it a shoulder rig and that was what I used in the Corps. I found a rig that is different, better in some respects, not so much in others at CTD. Hope that helps a bit.

Bawanna
11-02-2010, 12:01 PM
The nylon is light but to me it's also bulky. I used them when I used to hunt with big revolvers. The retention also leaves something to be desired as well, but with the vertical carry it was secondary but still necessary when your climbing up and down hill and dale. (dang I miss that part).
The Galco SSII or Miami Classic originally designed by Jackass leather is a pretty well designed and many find it quite comfortable. I like the SSII because it has the wider straps over the shoulder area. In recent years even it messes with my neck and I can't wear it for long periods without being paralyzed from the neck up. (maybe I already was???) Who said that?
It carrys the gun pretty much horizontal but there lots of room to adjust the angle. Same with the mags, they hang straight down but you can angle them forward alot. Lots of possible adjustment and all the straps swivel in the back so they don't bind or print real bad thru a light jacket or shirt.
Jeepster had a shoulder rig for sale here, I don't recall what brand it was but it looked very similar and was very reasonably priced. I'm betting cheaper than you could make one if it happened to be for the correct gun your thinking of. (Jeepster, I'll send ya my address for the commission check.)
If you make one send pictures.

Warhammer
11-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks Bawanna. I looked at Jeepster's ads, but I figure I can make my own for a lot less. Besides, the main reason to make my own is just to make it myself, not to save money (although that is a really close second). I'm coming down to a design pretty similar to the Miami Classic II, except with some changes to the holster and mag carrier. They will be either all Kydex, or a Kydex/leather combo. I don't want any thumb breaks or snaps for retention; just a really good friction fit. I may mould a thumb tab into the holster if I don't feel like the friction fit is sufficient. I'm going to go without tie-downs at first, but I'll have mounting points on the holster and mag carrier so I can add them later if I think I need them. The harness itself will be all leather.

Bawanna
11-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Sounds like a plan. I used tie downs like Jlottmc on the vertical big gun setups but never on the SSII's with 45's. I had them but never used them.
A holster that some how locked the gun in like a Blackhawk Serpa that releases with the trigger finger would be way cool. If it was like a Silent Thunder with the finger release I think I'd just come completely unraveled.
I'm with ya on the make it just to make it, theres benefits in that for sure.

That's actually what got me into making grips. I tried to get some for a double stack Para when they first came out and they told me it couldn't happen. I thought to myself why not, so I did it myself.
Being a professional wood butcher (carpenter) prior to chair it was nice to get back into sawdust even if on a much smaller and whole lot more precise fashion.

ripley16
11-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Adice;
* The nicest holster I've ever used and serves as my ideal is the Galco Executive. I'd love to have that holster for my P9.

* Tie downs are useful if you are, by any measure, active during the day. They really help in keep your pistol from flopping around and keep the whole rig from shifting.

* Some people carry extra mags for a reload, some don't. IMHO the vertical style works best and conceals easier.

* The angle should be adjustable and IMHO should coincide with the natural angle of your hand when you grip the holstered pistol.

Knuckler
02-23-2011, 04:02 AM
I own a few Mitch Rosen holsters, and have lusted after his Full Detail shoulder rig for a while..... Picked this up last night. I was BLOWN away by the quality, and how comfortable it is. (I should have expected it to be this nice, but was still surprised.) Years ago, I owned a Galco Miami Classic. Hardware was all cheap plastic, the leather was thin and cheap, and I got rid of it because it wasn't that comfortable. Mitch's rig is really nice leather, ALL of the hardware is solid Brass, and it is so well designed that the gun doesn't need tie downs to keep the pistol from flopping around. Incredibly comfortable. And, just like with the rest of his full detail rigs, the hand boning is so well done that the gun "clicks" in. Gotta say, even after owning a bunch of his stuff, I am still wowed by how nice this is....

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/knuckler731/9bb6be2d.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/knuckler731/6a97b430.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/knuckler731/4d45acf8.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/knuckler731/2255e0bf.jpg