PDA

View Full Version : To all the Veterans on Kahrtalk

TD2K
11-11-2010, 06:46 AM
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your service is greatly appreciated. Happy Veterans Day!

Ol'coot
11-11-2010, 06:48 AM
I would like to personally say THANK YOU to all veterans for your service, it is very much appreciated .

http://www.photographicendeavors.com/img/s9/v15/p915077486-3.jpg

wyntrout
11-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks, guys... I use the "inclusive" guys... guys and gals... English... too cumbersome sometimes....

I would like to include my thanks to all who served and yet serve to protect us and our way of life.

Wynn
USAF. Retired 1988

jeep45238
11-11-2010, 09:41 AM
In Flanders fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Bawanna
11-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Snack

Lunches

I put my carry-on in the

luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned

seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm

glad I have a good book to read. Perhaps I will

get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off,

a line of soldiers came down the aisle and

filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding

me. I decided to start a conversation.

'Where are you

headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to

me.
'Petawawa. We'll be there for two

weeks for special training, and then we're being

deployed to Afghanistan

After

flying for about an hour, an announcement was

made that sack lunches were available for five

dollars. It would be several hours before we

reached the east, and I quickly decided a lunch

would help pass the time...

As I reached for my

wallet, I overheard a soldier ask his buddy if

he planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems

like a lot of money for just a sack lunch.

Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks.

I'll wait till we get to base.'

His friend agreed.

I looked around at the

other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked

to the back of the plane and handed the flight

attendant a fifty dollar bill. 'Take a

lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my

arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with

tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in

Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for

him.'

Picking up ten

sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the

soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and

asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or

chicken?'
'Chicken,' I replied,

wondering why she asked. She turned and went to

the front of plane, returning a minute later

with a dinner plate from first class.

'This is your thanks.'

After we finished

eating, I went again to the back of the plane,

heading for the rest room.

A

man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to

be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me

twenty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned

to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down

the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he

walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but

noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my

side of the plane. When he got to my row he

stopped, smiled, held out his hand and said, 'I

want to shake your hand.' Quickly unfastening my

seatbelt I stood and took the Captain's hand.

With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier

and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought

me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never

forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was

heard from all of the passengers.

Later I walked to the

front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A

man who was seated about six rows in front of me

reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He

left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed I

gathered my belongings and started to deplane.

Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man

who stopped me, put something in my shirt

pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a

word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the

terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their

trip to the base.
I walked over to

them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It

will take you some time to reach the

base.

It

will be about time for a sandwich.
God

Bless You.'

Ten young

men left that flight feeling the love and

respect of their fellow travelers.

As I walked briskly to

my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe

return. These soldiers were giving their all for

our country. I could only give them a couple of

meals. It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone

who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank

check made payable to 'The United States of

America ' for an amount of 'up to and

including my life.'

That is Honor, and

there are way too many people in this country

who no longer understand

it.'

kahrseye
11-11-2010, 09:56 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1

sonofodin
11-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Hate to say it fellahs/ladys but I used to support vets day 100% until I became a veteran.

Everyone around here demands a happy birthday, or christmas, or other holiday greeting. People always expect me to just GIVE them something more. But nobody in Columbus, Ohio stops to say anything to me.

My ole lady don't even remember. Wanna thank me for bein a vet? DONT take anything for granted please.

Livin in doors with heat and electricity
Running hot n cold water
Snacks
Toothepaste
Free time
Sanity
Sleep

The list goes on of things I went a very long time without. :rain:

jocko
11-11-2010, 11:25 AM
nice attitude. bad day huh? It happens..

sonofodin
11-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Jocko you are spot on. But I was meaning that with being sincere about not taking stuff for granted. I was shocked when I came home and saw just how much people really take for granted.

jocko
11-11-2010, 11:49 AM
everyone views veterans day differently to. So don'tjudge all people by a few. Most all are appreciative, but also, there are people who do not appreciate the meaning of christmas either. I just try not to loose alot of sleep over some people anymore. Some would be unappreciative if they were given a million bucks and had to pay 50% of it in taxes.

No doubt veterans day to the younger set doesn't have the meaning it should have, bit I have seen in and around this area when a veteran comes home now, he is given a very honorable welcome. we just had one young man comehom from afgan about a week ago and our little town gave him a welcome i have not seen ever. Flags, all over the place, people ont he highway, Motorycle brigade brouight him the last 50 miles . Now I know it might also make some vietnam vets feel like sh-t when they see this to and I understand, but most have put it behind them also. Some will never and I understand that to.

If ur a vet of what ever service, my hat tiped today for all of um. Some wounds will never be healed because they are internal. Many the reason some people today take things for granted is because it seems the U.S is at war most all the time with countries that most until then had never ehard about or cared about. Ihear in conversations where I drink coffee every day people say, well I wonder what war we will get into after afgan???

You just don't know how bad I hate it when I see another American young man who gave his life over in afgan or surrounding area for people over there that hate us so bad I always considered myself to be a hawk but sometimes even a hawk likes to sit on top of a tree top and ENJOY the world..

sonofodin
11-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Im glad you understand that last sentence well Jocko. I kinda invisioned what your town does happening for me in a smaller way but it never did. We got treated pretty bad in my unit and when I got out...well its been rough. Not alot of people understand just how bad alot of people get treated in the Army and not alot of people appreciate in a bigger city to the degree that yours does. Hat off back to you. Just hung the banner on the front of the house. Hats off to my brothers and sisters out there struggling as well.

OIF 2008-2009

We will never forget the blood we shed and what we have done, though no other may come to understand or know.

TheTman
11-11-2010, 05:19 PM
My sincerest thank you to all veterans of all wars, particularly those of you who felt unappreciated or worse upon your return to the USA. I think sometimes some people need a good whack upside the head to make em think of the sacrifices you have made for all of us. Just because you don't believe in a cause doesn't mean you have to disrespect our honorable soldiers.

AFVet
11-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the kind wishes on Veterans' Day. I'm always a bit reluctant to accept thanks because I always think of this day in terms of those who gave life and limb. Our freedom is built upon their valor and sacrifice. It's their day in my opinion.

jlottmc
11-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks, guys... I use the "inclusive" guys... guys and gals... English... too cumbersome sometimes....

I would like to include my thanks to all who served and yet serve to protect us and our way of life.

Wynn
USAF. Retired 1988

Well said Wynn. Thanks guys.

jeep45238
11-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Not a vet yet - I do take care of them, and our current service members, however I can.

Hoping that MEPS will go smoothly in January and I'll have a copy of the contract to take home.

“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.”
– John Fitzgerald Kennedy

sonofodin
11-11-2010, 11:29 PM
What are you joining, Jeep?

jeep45238
11-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Usaf

johnh
11-12-2010, 06:49 AM
First, let me say thank you to all vets, for the freedom we all take too lightly these days. I know one group of Americans we can always count on to stand up for our freedom, is our veterans. They kept the nation safe, and no matter what happens in the future, we can rely on them to do so again if need be. (yes, I direct that comment to all those American leftist, pinko, commies that may be listening!).

Second, I want to specifically call attention to those under recognized veterans of the Korean war who worked so valiantly to protect our good friends in the South from the tyranny in the North. This is particularly important for our family, as both our wonderful children were born in South Korea. I have often thought that they would never have entered our lives if the North and their Chinese Communist allies had one. Were they even born, they might be living as slaves in a Korean under the iron fist of the Kim Il-sung dynasty. Many, many thanks to the veterans of that war and please know we have not forgotten your sacrifices!

John

jeep45238
11-12-2010, 09:27 AM
First, let me say thank you to all vets, for the freedom we all take too lightly these days. I know one group of Americans we can always count on to stand up for our freedom, is our veterans. They kept the nation safe, and no matter what happens in the future, we can rely on them to do so again if need be. (yes, I direct that comment to all those American leftist, pinko, commies that may be listening!).

Second, I want to specifically call attention to those under recognized veterans of the Korean war who worked so valiantly to protect our good friends in the South from the tyranny in the North. This is particularly important for our family, as both our wonderful children were born in South Korea. I have often thought that they would never have entered our lives if the North and their Chinese Communist allies had one. Were they even born, they might be living as slaves in a Korean under the iron fist of the Kim Il-sung dynasty. Many, many thanks to the veterans of that war and please know we have not forgotten your sacrifices!

John

Amen to the forgotten veterans.

http://kahrtalk.com/general-discussion/2248-thanking-veteran.html

O'Dell
11-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys, but for me it was a great experience. I got to play with the latest high tech toys the Navy had and didn't get a scratch. I didn't even experience the rude reception a lot of guys got returning from VN. We flew off the boat a day out of San Diego, landed a Miramar, and walked out the gate unmolested.

Bawanna
11-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Weekend Shoot With Aaron Howell, Awsome Time!! - Sniper's Hide Forums (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2157935&page=1)

A tiny bit late, but never too late. A great story just sent to me moments ago. Be sure to scroll down, theres a couple good informative post. My hats totally off to these guys. Top notch.

wyntrout
11-12-2010, 02:05 PM
That IS a great story. My eyes didn't water quite as much the second time I read it. I wish that all of our returning veterans... especially the wounded ones, could be treated like that. They're all special and deserve all of the special treatment they can get.
Semper Fi!
Wynn:)

mightymouse
11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
A big THANKS once again to all military personnel past and present.

sierrajb
11-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Hearfelt Appreciation, Honor, and Prayers for all you've done for our country!

Bill K
11-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I feel that I've been privileged to have served my country as a United States Marine. You serve expecting nothing in return but I must say I am touched and feel grateful when someone takes a moment and thanks me for my service.

Semper Fi,
Bill K.

ruf45
11-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Thank you to all that haved served,are serving and will serve. We all owe are freedoms
and rights to you. God bless you all.

getsome
11-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Thank you isn't enough for your service to our country...I always think of the saying "If you can read this thank a teacher, If you can read this in english thank a soldier"...God Bless each and every one of you and come home safe...Thank you for keeping us safe, free and proud to be an American....

OldLincoln
11-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Amen and Amen! Like others I did my job above the fray and still feel a bit of guilt for those who saw the ugly up close. I did my job to my absolute best and am proud of my short time in, but will always feel half a vet when visiting the veterans hospital for my checkup. They have a big sign out front stating "The Cost of Freedom is Visible Here" and it really is.

TheTman
11-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all your sacrifices, whether in combat or just being away from home for long periods of time.

Popeye
11-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Thank you for remembering those of us who have served. It sure wasn't that way for a long time. I'm to old to fight anymore but I still serve as a riflemen doing honors for our departed brothers and sisters at a local National Cemetery in Washingtons Crossing Pa. on Thursdays. I'm also a Patriot Guard Rider in Pa. I don't care what branch you were in, or what you did, a Vet is a Vet and we each played a part and you certainly deserve respect for doing what was asked of you by your country.

LaP
11-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Being a Vet is like belonging to the biggest, most dedicated and respected organization on the planet.

It's OK if a few of us are bitter or resentfull. Those feelings were earned.

popgoestheweasel
11-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I just about got run off the road today and put into a ditch by a guy driving a pickup truck who was obviously confused with a road construction detour. I was furious...until he got past me and I could see the US Army veteran sticker on the back of his truck. I was just glad he was okay. Veterans' Day, a proud day to be an American.

Armybrat
11-11-2011, 03:58 PM
God Bless them all.

My Dad - Summer of 1943 after the Battle of Attu in the Aleutian Islands - he lived in that tent for 7 months (without taking a bath, btw):

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/GranddaddyArmy.jpg

MO_Soldier
11-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Happy Veteran's Day guys...I don't have time right now to read all of the posts but wanted to give thanks to you all.

Those of you that are past or present military, I encourage you to come join my Military group on the form. Just search for "Military" in social groups section.

johnh
11-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Many thanks to all our veterans, past and present. May we always remember the sacrifices you have made on our behalf!