PDA

View Full Version : How to get started....

JustinN
11-23-2010, 03:11 PM
I have thought about reloading for several years and just never made the jump (I'd start looking around and get overwhelmed/distracted by guns and never bought anything). What is the bear minimum someone would need to get started, and a base price for it all (to gauge the possibility of actually making the sale to my wife)? I know there are different "starter sets" and what not, but what is the best way to go about getting started?

It is a sad time in my gun collection right now, but I have consolidated my calibers into .45 ACP and 30-06 for the time being, so those are the main two calibers I would be interested in messing with at the start.....

Bawanna
11-23-2010, 03:47 PM
This reloading section is gonna be fun stuff.

I'm probably way out of date on stuff but again most of the reloading tools haven't changed much in 50 years either.

For a brand new reloader and remember this is all personal opinion, I would definitely start with a single stage press. The press is the center piece of any reloading operation and all the steps will be or can be done on the press.

I like the RCBS Rockchucker, I heard theres a 1 and a 2 now but I have now idea what that is about. I'll have to look that up.

When I bought my first press they had a Rockchucker Combo. It included the press, a balance beam scale, a deburring tool, a powder measure, a lube pad, some lube, primer tubes and pieces for large and small primers, and a reloading manual, basically everything you need to get started except dies.

For our 06, the single will do forever. You probably don't load hundreds of rounds for that so 1 at a time is good, you can double check each step of the way, measure each powder charge, fine tune all the way.

Depending on how much 45 you shoot you might want a progressive eventually but again I used my rockchucker for years and years, just takes longer.

Midway is a good place to start looking at stuff, they are good to deal with and fast. I don't know if they are the cheapest but I've bought alot of stuff from them, there are several others to shop and compare also. I haven't bought components there, I try to buy primers and powder locally so I don't get nicked for hazardous. I do buy bullets on line.

I'll do a little looking and see whats new out there and what stuff cost in the modern day world.

Bawanna
11-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit - MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=749997)

Heres Hornady's version of what I mentioned earlier.

From there you should be close to RCBS's kit also. I tried to include both links but I ain't that computer smart.

They both now come with hand held priming tools, neither of which is my favorite (I like the Lee) but they may work just fine. I would add a powder measure stand to both sets, just makes it alot easier and they don't cost alot. Neither include dies which will probably run 40 -50 bucks with a shell holder.

The hornady has the quick change die setup which is really nice, once you have your dies set you don't have to mess with them again unless you change bullets etc. It also comes with a digital scale which is usually a little faster than the balance beam.
It's also a few bucks cheaper if I haven't already forgot.

They sure have gone up in the last 40 years. I think I paid right around a 100 bucks for my setup.

gpo1956
11-23-2010, 06:23 PM
If you're going to reload rifle and pistol with just one press, I would seriously look at the Forstor CoAx press. It is very heavy duty, smooth and the fastest of all to change between most calibers. Very easy to swithc. They're expensive, but they are defginitely worth the money. Its one you'll keep all your life and hand down to your children.

Bawanna
11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Forster Co-Ax Press, Presses & Dies, Reloading, Shooting : Cabelas.com (http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-forster-ax-press.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=741213&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=567E9052-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA)

Never laid eyes on one of those before. It's certainly a different looking machine. Looks like the lock ring on your die just pushes into the slot?

Not sure I like the straight on feeding with a center handle. Seems like it would be awkward to feed and remove the cases, almost have to slide off to the side, pull the handle, slide back and so forth. I'd love to see on in person, it looks skookum, thats for sure.
A little pricey too but I got no problem paying for quality even if it has to wait for the piggy to fill.

garyb
11-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Check out the Dillon reloaders at www.bluepress.com (http://www.bluepress.com) . It may be a local thing, but they receive high ratings in my neck of the woods. You can purchase a caliber specific unit (Squre Deal B), or reloaders that accomodate all calibers. If for nothing else, subscribe to their catalog. It always has excellent shooting tips from the pros and the cover girls are something to please the eye. They truly stand behind their products. One of my good law enforcement and Karate buddies recently broke his old unit, sent it back and had it back within a week, totally repaired at no charge. That tells you something about the company. Their lifetime "NO BS" warranty is for real. Check them out!

Recycooler
11-25-2010, 03:45 PM
I too was in the same dilemma as you a while back,I figured what I was spending on ammo and what I could save by reloading my own.It paid for itself.I bought the Dillon 550 .I figured I put about 800.00 into getting everything to do it,including my first 500 rounds.My friend has the same setup and he helped me set it up and get things right.I am having alot of fun doing it .M

Tilos
11-25-2010, 05:44 PM
JustinN:
For me, I shoot way more pistol than rifle.
So I'm thinking you will load 10x more 45 than 30-06.
I don't have the shoulder for double taps with a 30-06:D.

I too am "starting" to think about reloading (here) as my stuff is somewhere else.
I have been re-loading for a while and have a wish list of bare bones stuff to start reloading(again), that I'm about to order.

I'm going to get a lot of grief about what I'm going to suggest, but please read it through.

For me, I am ordering a Lee Pro 1000, (there I said it) and I'll tell you why:
All you will need in addition will be a $30 Lee beam scale and $30 hand primer with shell holders.
That's it.

Most have trouble priming so the hand prime takes care of that.
And the IMPORTANT part, you start with the index rod DISCONNECTED.
That gives you a single stage press to learn on, index or not. until you feel confident good about wants going on.

Setup the sizer/deprime, try a few, and adjust until it's good, do a bunch and then hand prime them.
Remove that die (it's all set now), put in the flare/powder drop, figure out how it works, adj, etc, untill it's setup.

Do this with all the dies, without indexing, making it a lot simpler for someone just starting.
You can add an adj. slide to the powder measure that comes with the press, or upgrade to the Lee perfect powder measure for $30.

That press has 3 stations and comes with dies, shell plate, powder measure, and priming.
So you will be seating and crimping in 1 station, not usually a problem for 45ACP or 9mm.
Cabela's: Lee Pro 1000 Loader (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=731758&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&productVariantId=1325790&quantity=1&itemGUID=#productChart)

Lee?????...yes Lee, let the flaming begin.:o
45ACP Pro 1000 Press $155
READ the REVIEWS
YMMV
just sayin'
Tilos

Bawanna
11-25-2010, 10:18 PM
JustinN:
For me, I shoot way more pistol than rifle.
So I'm thinking you will load 10x more 45 than 30-06.
I don't have the shoulder for double taps with a 30-06:D.

I too am "starting" to think about reloading (here) as my stuff is somewhere else.
I have been re-loading for a while and have a wish list of bare bones stuff to start reloading(again), that I'm about to order.

I'm going to get a lot of grief about what I'm going to suggest, but please read it through.

For me, I am ordering a Lee Pro 1000, (there I said it) and I'll tell you why:
All you will need in addition will be a $30 Lee beam scale and $30 hand primer with shell holders.
That's it.

Most have trouble priming so the hand prime takes care of that.
And the IMPORTANT part, you start with the index rod DISCONNECTED.
That gives you a single stage press to learn on, index or not. until you feel confident good about wants going on.

Setup the sizer/deprime, try a few, and adjust until it's good, do a bunch and then hand prime them.
Remove that die (it's all set now), put in the flare/powder drop, figure out how it works, adj, etc, untill it's setup.

Do this with all the dies, without indexing, making it a lot simpler for someone just starting.
You can add an adj. slide to the powder measure that comes with the press, or upgrade to the Lee perfect powder measure for $30.

That press has 3 stations and comes with dies, shell plate, powder measure, and priming.
So you will be seating and crimping in 1 station, not usually a problem for 45ACP or 9mm.
Cabela's: Lee Pro 1000 Loader (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=731758&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&productVariantId=1325790&quantity=1&itemGUID=#productChart)

Lee?????...yes Lee, let the flaming begin.:o
45ACP Pro 1000 Press $155
READ the REVIEWS
YMMV
just sayin'
Tilos

Tilos, you won't see no flaming or me looking down my nose at your plan at all. It's a sound plan and Lee has been making reloading stuff for a very long time. If there was a chance in the future that you were gonna be loading 416 Rigby or 375 H&H's I'd say not a good plan. But your right in this case, have identified the plan and I'd say Justin will most likely shoot 50x more 45 than 30-06. I've had guys talk about setting up to reload for their hunting rifle, unless it's some odd ball wildcat that you can't by cartridges for I tell your wasting your time for 20 or 40 rounds a year.
I prefer the Lee hand primer over the others and except for the progressives I'd say most everyone is hand priming anyhow.
I think if money wasn't a giant issue I'd still opt for the RCBS or the Hornady but the Lee will get the job done. (maybe a tiny flame, hardly a spark really and hardly noticeable).

jfrey
11-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Got my son a Lee package deal similiar the the anniversary press and it had almost everything you need to get started if you want a single stage press. I was impressed with what was in it, for the money. Get the Lee dies you want and get started. He only loads rifle ammo on it so far, as dad has 2 Dillons for pistol ammo. Seems like I only paid a little over $100.00 for it from Midway.

JustinN
12-01-2010, 04:56 PM
$100 doesn't sound too bad for getting started....just the sticker shock on some of these....even the "cheap" dillion 550 is a new shotgun....

jfrey
12-01-2010, 09:07 PM
The Lee setup was a fairly good deal. I had an extra tumbler I gave him and also had several sets of dies. He got a set for his rifle and he loads for four of the rifles we shoot. By comparison, he loads a couple hundred rounds a year. I load that much pistol ammo at a setting, or more.

If you are just starting to get into loading for yourself, the Lee stuff looks to be a good value for the money. Look around at garage sales too. I've seen some pretty good deals there at times.

JustinN
01-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I've been looking at getting a new rifle, Marlin 45-70, so I definitely will want to reload if I get one of those. Again, I will probably be reloading .45, 30-06, and 45-70 - but not a lot of any of it...which reloaders Won't work for it - and what is the minimum equipment needed, if I bought it piece by piece?

earle8888
01-04-2011, 10:06 AM
My 2 cents
Reloading enhances the shooting experience!
I to started with the 'Rock-chucker' combo.
Now use a Hollywood. Really great on long casees, 378WhbyMag, 50 BMG.
Hollywood I got used and came with dies for, if I remember correctly, 20mm Loti, 50BMG. and a shell holder conversion to allow standard shell holders and a top plate with 9 7/8-14 holes.
no experience with the progressives
Take your time
check-it
enjoy it
admire it
check-it
Shoot-it