PDA

View Full Version : pm9 new recoil spring is different then factory

f44life
11-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Well i compared the old to new spring....Now i understand the spring will be shorter which is tighter...But the actual body of the recoil is about 1/16 shorter. I put it in my gun after i cleaned it and looking at the muzzle end i can partially see the spring and the body of the recoil is like an 1/8inch still in. I put the old one in and the recoil spring body sits flush looking at the muzzle end. If this makes sense what is the deal?

Bawanna
11-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Well i compared the old to new spring....Now i understand the spring will be shorter which is tighter...But the actual body of the recoil is about 1/16 shorter. I put it in my gun after i cleaned it and looking at the muzzle end i can partially see the spring and the body of the recoil is like an 1/8inch still in. I put the old one in and the recoil spring body sits flush looking at the muzzle end. If this makes sense what is the deal?

The old one is shorter or the new one is shorter? New spring should be longer.

jocko
11-25-2010, 06:44 AM

the body itself will be different length. the slide is longer. Just another kahr fook up IMO. I guess they expect people to read their minds whenordering a part that in the manual says fits all but realy doesn't..:32:

the longer body assembly and longer recoil spring is for the new tapered slide. that seems what kahr is sending anyone who orders recoil springs, even though they probably have a 100,000+ old style slides out there and less than 5000 of the new tapered slides. Sure makes alot of sense, now doesn't it.

f44life
11-25-2010, 01:36 PM
so if it dont sit flush then its not the right one then? so i have to order another older style spring?

Bawanna
11-25-2010, 01:48 PM
so if it dont sit flush then its not the right one then? so i have to order another older style spring?

I'm way confused on this one. If the recoil assembly is too short, it sounds like you have the new tapered model gun with the old recoil assembly, just the opposite of what Jocko is saying.
Either way I'd say your gonna need the other one, which ever that is.
I'd call and talk to Kahr or send them an email with a picture if you can and I'm sure they'll fix you right up.

Anytime a company makes a design change, regardless of what it is there is going to be a ripple effect all down the line. Rather than be critics, I think we just need to accept the change and be more diligent for the time being when we order to make sure your are clear on the model you have.
Not always easy, thats for sure especially for new owner that may not even realize there was a change.

In other words ease up. There has to be a reason they consider valid for the change, I'm not privvy to what that reason is but that means very little in the over all scheme of things.

F44 please keep us posted on developments, this is one case where we can all benefit and share with others your outcome.
Incidently your just replacing the spring cause it's time or do you have issues?

jocko
11-25-2010, 02:20 PM
for what he said, I think he got the shorter recoil assembly and his gun has the longer slide with the beveled front. I reread what he said andit sure sounds like he was sent the shorter version where as he needs the longer version. F44 does yr slide have the tapered front ??? If so u need the longer version recoil assembly..

jocko
11-25-2010, 02:25 PM

if ur PM9 has the beveled front end on it, then it is now using the longer recoil assembly and also the longer outter recoil sprig.

If ur PM9 is like my PM9 it has no beveled front, merely a blunt (glock) type muzzle. It will take the shorter recoil rod assembly and also the shorter outter recoil spring.

The slide is what is going to dictate what size u need for your gun as they will not interchange, be it the recoil rod assembly or the outter recoil spring...:7:

f44life
11-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Ill put some pics up...i do have the newer style kahr with the beveled muzzle....my IB8860 is my seriel number.

jocko
11-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Ill put some pics up...i do have the newer style kahr with the beveled muzzle....my IB8860 is my seriel number.

it sounds like they sent you the shorter recoil outter spring and shorter recoil rod assembly, If it doesn't fit flush with the front of the slide then it is the wrong recoil assembly.

f44life
11-27-2010, 03:18 PM
The old recoil spring with 1700rds aprox is on the left, the new one they sent me is on the right, as you can see the new one is shorter spring and assembly.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/blackattack_02/jeep031.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/blackattack_02/jeep030.jpg

here is the new recoil spring assembly in my gun which you can see is not sitting flush.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/blackattack_02/jeep032.jpg

f44life
11-27-2010, 03:20 PM
the new one is aprox 1/16inch shorter then the old one for both the spring and assembly

Im changing it because im going to be recieving my permit in the mail soon and want it in tip top shape

Bawanna
11-27-2010, 03:30 PM
the new one is aprox 1/16inch shorter then the old one for both the spring and assembly

Im changing it because im going to be recieving my permit in the mail soon and want it in tip top shape

Looks like you got the wrong one. I didn't realize you had that many rounds, it's due for a new one. That being said I'd not hesitate to run the old one till the replacement arrives.
I didn't think that new beveled one had been out very long but apparently long enough for you to do some serious shooting. Good for you.

f44life
11-27-2010, 06:49 PM
yeah...thats really the only hobby i can afford at the moment. Everything else is way to expensive that i like to do.

f44life
11-30-2010, 01:56 AM
well, i emailed them today and they said it appears we sent you the old version, so were sending you the newer version with a return label on it....so no biggie:p

jocko
11-30-2010, 08:48 AM
well, i emailed them today and they said it appears we sent you the old version, so were sending you the newer version with a return label on it....so no biggie:p

this is going to happen alot and alot of buyers willnot even realize or know that there are now two different recoil assemblies and that neither willinterchange, and then they willhave issues with their gun and not know that it was kahrs screw up. what a cluster fook..:32::32:

f44life
11-30-2010, 11:05 AM
its going to cost them more money and headaches for everyone...i dont know why they dont put a disclaimer on there website: "when ordering a recoil assembly please state your gun seriel number so we can correctly identify what assembly we need to send you since there is two versions"

thats all they have to do

deadhead1971
11-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Not sure if this answers the question, but I posted this a month back on another long lost thread.

e-mail to Kahr October 20, 2010

My question: I have a PM9 (IB0xxx) that I got in 2009. I heard that Kahr has updated the spring / recoil assemblies. What are the pounds of the recoil spring? I think mine is a #18.

Kahr's response: Good morning. While there have been some engineering changes in the production of the PM9 this is not an upgrade. The recoil spring has been made longer to accommodate these changes. If you have an older model the spring you currently have is the correct one should this need changing in the future we still have suitable springs.
Have a good day from Kahr.

Follow up Question: Thanks. Will the longer springs work ok in the older models or is there a separate part # for these older model PM9 springs? Do you know if the longer springs are #18 or #20s?

Kahr's follow-up response: Good morning. The longer springs will not work in the older guns unless the end is clipped off to allow the slide to lock back. We are about to launch our new website and on there the springs will be differentiated. Have a good day from Kahr.

jocko
11-30-2010, 11:55 AM
exactly what I have been saying. All they needed to do was update their owners manual with a different part number for each model PM9 slide. Not rocket science. I never go to a webb site for parts numbers, that is what the owners manual is for. Why put an outdated owners manual in with the new model when their is no mentioning of different recoil springs and assemblys.

I will bet there is not 5000 new slide models out in the market yet but I will bet there is over 200,000 of the older models out there. Seems to me like they were in a rush to get this new slide out to the public while forgetting about a true accurate parts list.
Might just be me, but what sense did it make to add a 1/4" to the slide in a gun that up to then was working flawlessly and we designed for ccw . Guarantee u, u will not see one bit of more accuracy from this super duper kahr change.I have bitched about this to much I know but I think this is a real kahr cluster fook..

deadhead1971
11-30-2010, 01:51 PM
I have several PM9 recoil springs I ordered from Wolf a few months back. I assume these are the "old" style. I may have to look.

jocko
11-30-2010, 02:45 PM
I have several PM9 recoil springs I ordered from Wolf a few months back. I assume these are the "old" style. I may have to look.

guarantee you they are...

It seems like a real crap shoot to order any stuff from kahr anymore and expect it to be correct when you get it. I am not sure that the people on the other end of the phone know what the hell is going on. ONE SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO ORDER A PART FROM THE FACTORY AND THEN FILE OFF THE END OF THE RECOIL ROD TO MAKE IT WORK OR CUT COILS OFF THE RECOIL SPRING TO MAKE IT WORK. In the auto repair business we call that a "jackleg mechanidc"..

f44life
12-01-2010, 01:53 AM
You order something it should be right, not just saw off the spring to make it work. That is ridiculous, you shouldnt have to alter a new part that is going in a handgun of all things, that could fail and lose your life or a love ones. Next time i order something ill give them my seriel number.

Bawanna
12-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Ordering parts can be a pain and confusing. How many times have you gone to a parts counter for a headlight or a wiper blade and they ask if you have dual exhaust?

You've created the solution, identify your model and include the serial number. The lucky devils who hang out here now are wise to the new model so only the unlucky non members will not know better but of course we can still help them when we can. Just cause they aren't members don't mean we gotta use em for laughing stock and call em names. Actually we do that here huh?

I suggest we coast a bit here and not get overwrought over this little change. We've identified it, we know what needs to be done so we'll get thru this, we truely will.

jocko
12-01-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm not overwrought, Pi--ed yes but certainly not overwrought. gonna have to buy a dictionary now I guess to see what the hell that word even means. I will get back to you on this bawanna.
I hate dictionarys, for they certainly don't spell the words right for me!!!!!

Bawanna
12-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm not overwrought, Pi--ed yes but certainly not overwrought. gonna have to buy a dictionary now I guess to see what the hell that word even means. I will get back to you on this bawanna.
I hate dictionarys, for they certainly don't spell the words right for me!!!!!

You make me laugh so dang hard sometimes I need a beach towel to soak up the tears. No exception here either.
Some of them dictionaries just don't let a person say what they want to say.

I do enjoy the challenge sometimes you create when I try to figure out what it is your trying to say, almost like a crossword puzzle or something.

You rock dude. Now get a milkshake (carefully) and polish that HOG.