PDA

View Full Version : Hoplophobia

OldLincoln
12-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Hoplophobia n. An unreasoning, obsessive neurotic fear of weapons as such, usually accompanied by an irrational feeling that weapons possess a will or consciousness for evil, apart from the will of their user. Not equivalent to normal apprehension in the presence of an armed enemy. Hoplon also means instrument, tool or tackle, but it is the root of hoplite (man-at-arms, gendarme) and thus principally signifies "weapon" in English derivations.

I learned this new word today and wanted to share with my non-Hoplophobic friends.

More on this can be found here (http://www.gunlaws.com/GunHate.htm).

Seahawk60
12-02-2010, 05:08 PM
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
- Sigmund Freud

Dietrich
12-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Thank you Old Lincoln,I like to expand my vocabulary whenever possible.

mrsig239
12-03-2010, 11:40 AM
My PM9 says your wrong and my EMP just keeps staring at me.

Bawanna
12-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I just asked one of the ladies here in the office if she was a hoplophobic, my face will stop stinging in a few days I'm sure. Near knocke my hearing aid out of my head. Wonder what she thought I said? I ain't asking her again, I can tell you that for a fact.

getsome
12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks OldLincoln for clearing that up for me cause I thought it was a fear of pogo sticks or something like that....Ya learn something new every day at this bar...

jlottmc
12-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Ahh yes Col. Jeff Cooper. He coined that phrase and they were his bane right up until he left us. That was a good man.

Bawanna
12-04-2010, 09:40 AM
+1 on that. They broke the mold when they made the Col. One of the things on my list was to get to Gunsite for a class but mostly to shake hands with the Colonel. Guess I'll have to wait and do it on the other side now.

Seahawk60
12-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Gunsite is right up the road from me. I did my first CCW class there in 2004 when training was still required by AZ state law for both initial issue and renewal. Cooper died in 2006, so he must have been ill or otherwise deposed since he wasn't around for my class and people were wanting to meet him.

wyntrout
12-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Deposed...?:confused: Maybe that's why he wasn't there. :)
I'm almost caught up on my rest and ready for some light riposte.... Hmmm... I might have to look that word up. I think that's what I did/meant.

Hey! That hopo-whatever could be brought on temporarily when someone else points a gun in your face...??

Wynn:D

Bawanna
12-07-2010, 09:14 AM
For a few years a guy took over Gunsite that Mr. Cooper did not agree with his methods and process. He didn't last long and another guy bought it that was back in line with Mr. Coopers methodogy. He lived on the property the whole time and came back out when the last owner got it.
He made it a point to meet and chat with all the students that attended classes there.
I know that he was pretty slow getting around in his last few years but I'm sure inside he was going full steam as usual.
He was quite a guy.