PDA

View Full Version : cleaner/lube

getsome
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi folks, I wanted to share something about a a great gun cleaner and lube that I found at of all places, O'Reillys auto parts....For cleaning I use electronic spray cleaner...A large can is $3.99 and its great for getting dirt and grime out of hard to reach areas, It drys quick and is also safe for any plastic material and it isnt very harsh like GunScrubber spray which seems to be very much like brake cleaner and is hard on plastics, paint and your skin...The other GREAT stuff I found for a spray lube is made by Royal Purple and is called Maxfilm...Its $5.99 for a spray can but it doesnt take much...It goes on wet then drys to a super slick protective film very much like Eezox ...All my guns love the stuff, I call it grape juice!...For areas that need a drop of oil I just use 5w30 synthetic motor oil and it works just fine...I was using CLP but ran into a problem with it when i used it with Rem oil at the same time....It somehow turned into a Goo that locked up my s&w 629 revolver...At first I thought something broke inside the gun but after a good cleaning with the electronic spray cleaner it was fine so I learned not to mix CLP with anything...CLP is a good product but I dont care for the smell and its somewhat pricy...Try some of the above stuff and see if you dont like it...If you dont you can always use it for other things that might need cleaning or where you would use something like WD40... Take care all and happy shooting!...;)

jocko
10-30-2009, 02:58 PM
probably about the same stuff I have been buying and using from NAPA. 3m makes it and is called high pressure non cholorinated brake claaner, part #08880 for around $2.50 (black can)per can. this stuff has the most powerful spray pressure behind it and the cans are hugh by normal spraty clean comparison. It will not harm polymer in any way and will spray clean those hard to get areas easily and drys instantly. As long as any spray is non cholorinated it is safe for polymer guns. Most all spray cleaners are that way today. trust me guys this stuff is awesome and cheap compared to gunscrubber which is basically the same thing ..

mr surveyor
10-30-2009, 03:01 PM
I've been using electronic contact spray cleaners (anyone remember the old television channel tuner knobs?) for many years, and never even considered using it to blow out areas like firing pin tunnels, trigger actions, etc. Interesting application. I only have one old "junker" handgun left in my collection, but I think I just may give it a try and see what happens.

surv