PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum and to My PM9

Ventura
10-30-2009, 06:32 PM
First post on the forum. I just bought my first Kahr, a PM9.

When I picked it up and I spent the evening racking the slide. I then took it apart, cleaned it with brake cleaner spray and oiled it. I expected to find a lot of rub points from the racking when I took it apart. Not one scuff. It was perfect inside. I also expected to find dirt in the mechanism and used the brake cleaner to get it out. I found no dirt. Not a speck. After oiling I re-assembled it and took it to the range on Wednesday.

I took my cleaning supplies and some tools. I expected to have glitches and have to periodically clean it while I broke it in. 300 perfect rounds later (200 WWB and 100 Remington UMC) with no cleaning and a hot barrel, not one failure. The gun was perfect. I even shot it one handed, both left and right handed. I expected failures due to limp-wristing after shooting so many rounds in under an hour. Nope. I couldn't make it fail.

I was surprised at the accuracy of the gun, although I was also surprised at the accuracy of my Keltec P3AT. I was consistently ringing steel at about 35 yards.

I am sold on this little gem. It took me several trips to the range to make both of my 1911s perfectly reliable. The PM9 has been perfect right out of the box. I couldn't ask for a better performance. I've had a very pleasant introduction to Kahr. I may even learn to like it better for carry than my Springfield 1911 Ultra Compact, if that is possible.

Now it's time to do my qualifications and get it on my CCW.

packinaglock
10-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Welcome, PM 9's are something to behold :biggrin1:

border bandit32
10-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Pretty much same experience here, I had heard alot of Kahr bashing prior to my purchase and was skeptical to say the least.....~500 rounds later not one problem with my PM9...it has become my favorite CCW, it has replaced my Glock 26. I even considered selling one of my Glocks to fund a Kahr P380 purchase....yep I have been bit by the kahr bug for sure!

Sounds like you have too!!! enjoy:33::33::33:

Dietrich
10-31-2009, 02:58 AM
I`m singing the same song. Over 1,000 rounds without a hitch.FMJ,JHP in several different brands,no problem. The PM9 is my primary carry gun now.I have several other guns that I use for concealed carry but the PM9 is just so easy to carry and hide.About the only place I can think of that would be hard to conceal it would be on a nude beach.Come to think of it,if I was on a nude beach, people would be freaking out so bad they wouldn`t notice it if I had a flamethrower.Anyway,welcome to the forum.

zena
10-31-2009, 03:50 AM
Welcome! I'm just one more voice in the chorus.... love my PM9. Never had a single glitch with it. It goes everywhere with me. Carried it in a small bag at the nude beach with my permit.:D

Dietrich
10-31-2009, 08:05 AM
Welcome! I'm just one more voice in the chorus.... love my PM9. Never had a single glitch with it. It goes everywhere with me. Carried it in a small bag at the nude beach with my permit.:D
I thought of carrying in a small bag too but if I carried a bag,I`d feel the need to accessorize and this would lead to that and it would end up defeating the purpose of being on a nude beach,wouldn`t it?

NavJAG06
10-31-2009, 08:12 AM
+1 - same experience with my PM9. Have great confidence in the firearm.

Ol'coot
10-31-2009, 12:14 PM
+1 Today makes 750 rounds in my PM9 with out any failures of any type, FMJ, JHP and everything from 115 gr target loads to 147gr +P defense loads, from 4 different manufacture's. I could not be happier and now carry it everyday

zena
10-31-2009, 05:59 PM
I thought of carrying in a small bag too but if I carried a bag,I`d feel the need to accessorize and this would lead to that and it would end up defeating the purpose of being on a nude beach,wouldn`t it?

I can understand that you may feel the need to accessorize for the nude beach, but keep it simple. "Jewelry" seemed to be well sported.

jocko
10-31-2009, 06:29 PM
ventura: One reason also why your PM9 did what it did , was that you prepped the gun before going out with it. Some people take these damn guns right out of the box and expect they to be flawless and most are but some give issue and most of those issues to are just lazines son theowners part in not prepping the gun. These gun companies test their guns out but they don'tclean them, nor do they do alot of any lubing either. shoot a magazine if it works, box it up and send it out the door. We as owners need to make sure all things are clean, striker channel clean as a pin, slide well greased, not dripping but greased and yes alittle jus sitting there and racking the slide about 500 times sure never hurts a darn thing either, If u noticed since your initial report on this thread, not one complaint from any kahr owner either.

theya re what they are IMO, one hell of a defense gun, almost like kissing ur woman friend, that personal and up close to..

and as ol coot posted, kahrs are not ammo sensitive in any shape or form. My PM9 and k9 has shoot every brand of ammo that I have purchsed for paper punching. It has never flinched with any defense round either. I have settled on 124 gold dots now and occassionaly when I find any 115 dpx by corbon. a damn good round IMO.

Kahrfire
10-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Mine has been nothing but trouble, but I've still been bitten by the Kahr bug! It's Shakespeare: "the course of true love never did run smooth."

Ventura
11-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Just qualified with the PM9 for my ccw. Shot an additional 80 rounds of +P. My instructor/tester loved shooting my PM9.

The 7 round mag didn't aways lockback after the last round but no other failures.

Any thoughts?

jocko
11-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Just qualified with the PM9 for my ccw. Shot an additional 80 rounds of +P. My instructor/tester loved shooting my PM9.

The 7 round mag didn't aways lockback after the last round but no other failures.

Any thoughts?
a change of recoil springs might help. Also possably ur grip changed some during the shooting course. tired hands/grip can cause the side to sometime not lock back as without knowing it one is allowing the entire gun to kinda rock itself back up shooting it and the slide has to have resistance to complete its cycle. You might check your magazine follower to see that it indeed making contact with the slide lock lever. How many rounds do you have through it???. Also you might want to even replace the 7 round magazine spring with a wolffs 5% extra strength magazine spring. You could indeed have a week magazine spring and on that last round the mag spring is maybe not strong enough to get that follower up in place so the slide lock can do its thing. Process of elimiantion will solve that issue..

Ventura
11-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I currently have 400 rounds through it. They may have used the same spring in the 7-round mag as they did in the 6-round mag. That would make a weak spring on the last round in the 7-round mag. I will try the extra power Wolf spring. Cheapest fix.

The problem couldn't possibly be me. No that can't happen, can it?

zena
11-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I currently have 400 rounds through it. They may have used the same spring in the 7-round mag as they did in the 6-round mag. That would make a weak spring on the last round in the 7-round mag. I will try the extra power Wolf spring. Cheapest fix.

The problem couldn't possibly be me. No that can't happen, can it?

Operator error sucks. Money or a part won't fix it. :(

jocko
11-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Operator error sucks. Money or a part won't fix it. :(

one needs to eliminate all other things. Operator error happens, once a person finds out , then he can correct it easily. sometimes letting another person shoot ur gun that is giving issues and if that person has no problems then yup,,,"operator error. If the other person has the same issue,u have now eliminated operator error and now one needs to looks at things like springs, magazine, recoil etc. normally one or both will solve the issue.

Why is it that so many 1911 shooters go to a high quality after market magazine? over thier factory magazine...

kpm9
11-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Mine has been nothing but trouble, but I've still been bitten by the Kahr bug! It's Shakespeare: "the course of true love never did run smooth."

Mine's been perfect, but I appreciate the wax poetic.:D