PDA

View Full Version : Trigger: NYPD vs Elite

5.0zone
12-07-2010, 06:51 PM
What is the physical difference between the NYPD trigger and the Elite trigger? I know the LOP is different, more interested in the mechanics of it all.
Which parts are changed?
Does anyone have side by side pictures of the parts?

Cheers,
Jeff

ripley16
12-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Good question. I seems it would have to be a difference in the trigger bar. The Kahr parts pages offer no answer though.

Are you thinking of buying the parts to do a conversion?

jocko
12-08-2010, 11:16 AM
What is the physical difference between the NYPD trigger and the Elite trigger? I know the LOP is different, more interested in the mechanics of it all.
Which parts are changed?
Does anyone have side by side pictures of the parts?

Cheers,
Jeff

think it is the trigger bar that is different but where the hole is drileld in the back of the trigger itself which attaches to the trigger bar. Not sur exactly when one buys or has put in the elite triger, just what parts are replaced even. A nice call tokahr tech service and I am sure they would tellyou exactly. I myself would liike to know, so that I am not merely "speciuating".

cgarcop
01-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't recommend a NYPD modified trigger in the K9. The NYPD mandated modifications to guns don't have a good history. They had so many problems that eventually NYPD dropped the K9 from its list of authorized off duty carry firearms.
The Sig also had problems. Its typical of the NYPD to mess up a great firearm with their own modifications.
I know guys who are trying to find a pre NYPD K9 but it seems they are very scarce

jocko
01-01-2011, 09:00 AM
the nypd triggers gives zero issues. Kahrs K9 with the nypd trigger has a good history. Can u explain where you came up with this info at. the nypd did not drop the kahr off their approved list due to the trigger what so ever.
There wa sno pre nuypd K9. it wa smade that way from the git go. Onecanorder a k9 elite and get the 3/8's travel trigger or if it just bugs the hell out of a person, he can send the gun to kahr, pay alittlle over $100 and get the elite trigger in the K9.

amazes me sometimes where one comes up with some of this stuff.

cgarcop
01-01-2011, 09:12 AM
The K9 was in fact dropped from the NYPD authorized off duty firearms. Not through any fault of kahr, but of the modifications made by NYPD.

I'm not knocking kahr. If I was, i wouldnt have bought a MK9 and ordered a P380

jocko
01-01-2011, 09:25 AM
can u explain what modifications the NYPD made to the K9. No doubting you but it makes zero sense to me. considering that 9 out of 10 K9's made today have the NYPD trigger in them, if the trigger was an issue, why would kahr still be making their bread and butter gun with a no good trigger.

I am kinda at a loss on this, considering the NYPD specified kahr to make them the K9 with the `1/2" trigger travel in it. That is the on difference in a K9 NYPD and a K9 elite.. Why would NYPD punish kahr's K9 for a modification that they themselvs foked up??? For me anyhow, it would be very interesting to know more about what your saying. U seem to have some sort of a handle on this information.. I hope your source is accurate

I am also trying to run down your comments with a good friend inside of Kahr and I hope I can get back to you and the forum about this to. It is always nice to be accurate..

cgarcop
01-01-2011, 09:46 AM
1/2" trigger, trigger body and striker spring are the differences between the K9 produced before NYPD ordered the K9. That I know of anyway. I dont know how they shipped out and what the NYPD gunsmiths modified at the range but i will find out. I'm not a gunsmith so I wouldnt know how they affected the K9, other than the trigger pull of course.
NYPD has a history of messing up many good things. The Sig also had some problems due to the mandated modifications, again through no fault of the gun manufacturer, but I'm not sure exactly what they were.

Again, I'm not knocking kahr. Kahr actually set up a kahr in house armory at the NYPD firing range to resolve any issues. After 20 years of carrying what they told me to carry, I can now carry whatever i want and I choose Kahr.

Many Kahr diehards in the NYPD are actually looking for used K9s without the NY trigger.

Indigo
01-01-2011, 09:52 AM
My K9's are currently at Kahr for both night sights and elite trigger. However, I received a call Thursday that they only sell elite trigger in stainless which will look stupid on an otherwise all black gun so I passed. Before sending it in I did some measurements at range to compare to my elite. The extra eighth inch of pull occurs toward the grip ad the elite 9 trigger breaks closer to the muzzle. I dobelieve that trigger bar inside is one of the components changed. I don't mind the longer pull on the K9 as much as much as I do the loose play in the trigger up front before you can feel the pressure when you squeeze. The elite seems very rigid and stationary in that regard but according to Kahr again it doesn't come in black if that is important to you. I have a black P9 with an all black 3/8 trigger so apparently yes the hole placement Is also somehow a factor. Jocko I took your suggestion and added the lighter striker spring which I do like thank you I just hate the quarter inch the trigger moves loosely before the pull.

jocko
01-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Indigo. I have no clue as to how kahr measures their trigger travel. I do trust tha tif they say they have the elite with 3/8" and the NYPd with 1/2" that they know what they are talking about. I didn't know kahr made blue triggers even. I thought they were all stainless in finish.

You will get used to the trigger travel with more rounds down range. My g19 has a certain stage in it that I can feel every time. I guess up until that stage feeling could be called slop or excess travel. These kahrs are made for defense and if one is after a real target type gun, thekahrs are not it. No safety's on kahrs other than the looooooong by smooth trigger system, be it NYPD or elite.

cgarcop, I understand what your saying. With damn near 40,000 police offiers I would think kahr would do what ever it takes to keep and stay on their approved list. Maybe they are but it takes time to get re approved and maybe both kahr and nypd has moved on beyond this, but if that was true, I would think that kahr should offer the elite trigger as standard factory now instead of making the elite a speical order gun. Makes no sense to cuddle up to a pit bull when u know he doesn't want u around..

jocko
01-01-2011, 10:30 AM
cgar cop. All kahr striker springs are the same in size and poundage, except the P380. they are all rated at 7.5# and above. the NYPD striker spring and the elite striker spring are identical.

Now wolffs makes a 5# drop in striker spring for all kahrs (except the P380) that just reduces trigger poundage not trigger travel.. Do you think the NYPD boys actually put in a heavier yet strker spring??? Not sure why that would even cause a gun issue.

Willieboy
03-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Having just ordered a K9, my curiosity is aroused. Is it the case that all K9's currently ship woth either the Elite trigger or the NYPD trigger? The one I ordered has the NYPD trigger. I didn't specify that trigger, it is just what was available.

Bawanna
03-28-2011, 11:35 AM
If you hadn't just read this thread and didn't read of the difference you'd likely not even notice it. It's not that bad. Given the option one would generally prefer the Elite trigger but again it's not that bad.

Willieboy
03-28-2011, 11:38 AM
If it is a close match to th PM9's trigger, I think that would be a plus.

jocko
03-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Having just ordered a K9, my curiosity is aroused. Is it the case that all K9's currently ship woth either the Elite trigger or the NYPD trigger? The one I ordered has the NYPD trigger. I didn't specify that trigger, it is just what was available.

new k9's today come with the elite trigger, that was not so 6 months ago, most al lK9 came with the nypd trigger. Your box will note if you have the nypd trigger, as there is a prefix (and I know not what that is either) behind your k9 model. no prefix behind it then u have the elite trigger in it.

Either one IMO is OK , I have the nypd in my K9 and have a PM9 with the elite in it k and I can't honestly tell the diffrerence. Maybe a real good shooter might feel that 1`/8" less or more travel but that is the only difference. Certainly no less quality in your new K9.

Willieboy
03-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the reassurance. K9 should be tomorrow.

jocko
03-28-2011, 12:00 PM
u won't shoot a sweeter gun. break it in the same way, do the pre prep and u will be good to go. That is and has been kahrs bread and butter gun..