PDA

View Full Version : Citadel sub compact 1911 range report

O'Dell
12-09-2010, 01:31 PM
I finally got the new 1911 to the range today. I had time for 100 rounds of WWB and 50 rounds of Remington GS's. All told, I had three incidents - two FTFeeds and one FTE. The FTFeeds both came with the factory mag on the first round, but with only six rounds in the mag, it worked fine. It could be that the mag needs breaking in. The spare Kimber mag I bought had no issues fully loaded. The FTE happen at the end of the session on the last mag with the GS's, which actually fed perfectly. The gun could have been getting dirty, or I could have limped it. I'm also still in the break in period for the pistol.

The really bright spot was the accuracy. Even though they have the same barrel length, I was much more accurate with the 1911 than the PM45. I suppose it could be the difference in triggers, as the Citadel's is very good.

All in all, after all the horror stories I've heard about sub 1911's I'm pleased, and it should only get better with more rounds.

Bawanna
12-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Yup the triggers are worlds apart, even a bad 1911 trigger is easier to shoot acurately than the PM's long trigger but for it's purpose its just the ticket.
The Citadel then is an Officers model size 1911. Has the shorter grip and 3+" barrel?
I looked for one at our gunshow last week just to see firsthand what you were talking about but didn't see one.
They are well spoken of in what I've been able to see and sounds like yours is gonna be a keeper too. Couple blips in the first couple hundred don't stir my ulcers up one bit.
Happy for ya.

O'Dell
12-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Yup the triggers are worlds apart, even a bad 1911 trigger is easier to shoot acurately than the PM's long trigger but for it's purpose its just the ticket.
The Citadel then is an Officers model size 1911. Has the shorter grip and 3+" barrel?
I looked for one at our gunshow last week just to see firsthand what you were talking about but didn't see one.
They are well spoken of in what I've been able to see and sounds like yours is gonna be a keeper too. Couple blips in the first couple hundred don't stir my ulcers up one bit.
Happy for ya.

I'm not sure what an 'officers model 1911' is, but the dimensions are 6.9x4.96x1.25 with a 3.13 in barrel and a weight of 28 oz.

I'm pleased, but I'm not used to malfunctions of any kind. I guess I could replace the ACT factory mag with another Kimber [or let the ACT break in], which probably would eliminate the FTFeeds, and hope the FTE was a blip not to be repeated.

jocko
12-09-2010, 03:50 PM
O'Dell the more rounds the better that sub 1911 will get. Really from reading ur post, I don't see anything wroing excep[t maybe more rounds down range. Kinda document like you did on this first trip, when issues happened. I. e. near the end of a good long shoot, right at first, which magazine acted up, with waht rounds etc. Nice gun, for me certainly not a pocket gun. but with their trigger system compared to kahrs, it would probalby shoot circles around any kahr, even without a damn barrel..

O'Dell
12-09-2010, 10:22 PM
O'Dell the more rounds the better that sub 1911 will get. Really from reading ur post, I don't see anything wroing excep[t maybe more rounds down range. Kinda document like you did on this first trip, when issues happened. I. e. near the end of a good long shoot, right at first, which magazine acted up, with waht rounds etc. Nice gun, for me certainly not a pocket gun. but with their trigger system compared to kahrs, it would probalby shoot circles around any kahr, even without a damn barrel..

Thanks Jocko. According to our weather guessers, things are going south in Atlanta after the weekend. If so, I'll have a chance next week to put some more rounds down the range. Hopefully, the minor problems will lessen as the gun wears in. The 1911 sub is definitely not a pocket gun like the Kahrs - I wear it on the belt and it would probably do well in my clip less Remora IWB holster. I'll probably have a PM9 within the month to keep my PM45 company.

Bawanna
12-09-2010, 11:01 PM
I looked up some pictures of the Citadel, its a fine looking gun. Has alot of good stuff on it, hammer, trigger, bushingless barrel. Stuff you wouldn't expect for such a good price.
I'd like to stumble onto one in person and look it over.

mrsig239
12-10-2010, 03:25 AM
"I'd like to stumble onto one in person and look it over"
Better be careful Bawanna, once you pick it up it might go home with you!

kramm
12-10-2010, 06:57 AM
I think the 3 inch barrel makes it a compact model. The officer models have a 41/4 inch barrel. at least thats what the officer models I've been looking at have. Whatever it is sounds like it's gonna be a good one.:biggrin1:

Bawanna
12-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I always labeled the ones with the short grip officer models. They hold 6 instead of 7. I think the Citadel is officers size. My officers Colt and my Para both have I think 3 1/2" barrels. 4 1/2" is commander size. Shorter barrel but full size grip.

If one followed me home would that be such a horrible thing, I don't want to think about it. I got home repairs, maybe I should just move, I've run this place into the ground.