PDA

View Full Version : VM 2 or Summer Special Alternative?

joe_sun
12-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Howdy all, new to the CCW game but I've already determined I don't like the hybrid type holsters, they are just such a huge PITA for me to get on for some reason.

On the other hand I absolutely LOVE my Milt Sparks VM2 for my Sig Sauer P225 so much I ordered one for my Glock 23... of course this won't get here until 6-8 months for now if I'm lucky. The VM 2 is super easy to put on. Just tuck it in, the hoops are already lined up and just slide the belt in.

Anyway I was looking for a VM2 or maybe even a Summer Special type holster for my new Kahr PM9 without having to wait 8 months. It would be nice if it had a sub 100.00 pricetag as well.

I saw the Don Hume clip holster but I'm worried about how easy it would be to get on and off if the clip goes over the belt.

Any suggestions?

dusty10
12-12-2010, 10:38 PM
I have a couple of IWB clip holsters and they are easy to get on or off. They work well for light weight polymer framed guns like your PM9. I use the Mitch Rosen clipper found on the Kahr website when I can't carry my PM9 in the front pocket. The Don Hume is very similar so it should work the same. BUT, nothing beats a VMII in my book. A 6-8 month wait for delivery will test your resolve though.

mr surveyor
12-12-2010, 11:12 PM
I have several leather custom made holsters, although none even near the $100 mark.... I cheap, and impatient. I don't carry my Sig P239 much anymore, so those two nice pieces of leather stay in "the drawer". I rarely carry my Kimber, to there's more leather in "the drawer". The odd thing is the holster I use the most (not counting my SP101 daily "field gun", is a $30 Don Hume 715. Originally got it in a used holster bin at a shop I frequent since it seemed to fit the KT PF9 I just bought. It worked perfectly with the PF9, and then I discovered it was actually made to fit an officers model 1911 (my Kimber Stainless Compact). Last Spring when I picked up the CW9, it filled the little DH715 perfectly. As for the "on and off" difficulty level.... that's the beauty of the whole thing. It does have a positive retention clip and stays in place pretty darned good, if you keep your belt tight, but that's a given with most any belt carried weapon anyway. Being smooth on the outside, and somewhat thin bodied (no extra layers of leather or kydex built up for retention straps directly on the body of the holster), it slips into the waistband very easily, and retains its shape if the gun is removed. Personally, I slip it in and out of the waistband with the gun in, and in the event I pull up to a place where I absolutely have to leave it in the truck, the whole rig slips out as easily as removing a belt clip cell phone holster, and just as easy to replace while still seated (reclined a bit) in the vehicle.

I would highly recommend the Don Hume for the price as well as availability, while you wait the many weeks or months for the really high quality leather to arrive. Best $15 grab box find I ever made:D

surv

OldLincoln
12-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Joe, I strongly recommend the Tucker Gunleather Silent Thunder for the PM9. That's what I have and it is very easy to grab & go. It is soft leather lined Kydex so holster wear is that of a leather holster not Kydex. They can usually get ine to you in 3-4 weeks and it's less than $100 last time I looked. Click on my link below to see pics of it. Pics are from another guy and he carries a different gun. Also, I don't know why his retention screws are in so far but they are normally flush opr below,

joe_sun
12-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the replies, it actually seems the Tucker "Secret" holster may be more my style. It seems to be a VM2 type for only 85.00.

dusty10
12-14-2010, 05:49 PM
If you move around alot while carrying the holsters with two attachment points spread apart like the VMII will tend to stay put better than the clipper type holsters. IMHO

apheod
12-25-2010, 03:06 PM
http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/about.html

this guy has some very milt sparks like holsters at lower prices. turnaround is still 10-11 weeks though.

i was looking for quick on/off with my pm9 and decided on this single strap andrews macdaniels II crossdraw model. do not have it yet, will post back when i do. supposed to only be a 2-3 week wait.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

apheod
12-27-2010, 01:54 PM
placed my order today and mr. andrews confirmed this will be built/charged mid january. he was knowledgeable about both of my particular carry weapons, even asked if i wanted the mag pouch built for the 6 round or the extended 7 round mags. he was also very polite and open to questions.

he has some GORGEOUS pictures of exotic holsters. click the text below each skin picture for examples of holsters in that skin.

i'm not affiliated with this company, i just have a hard on for it lately :D

http://www.andrewsleather.com/exotic/skins.html

Bawanna
12-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Nice stuff. I really like the looks of the Hybrid Saddle. Nice looking setup.

I'm a fan of Mernickle holsters. Similar to the Hybrid. He also has alot of exotic skins and stuff.