PDA

View Full Version : Powder Box Construction Project

OldLincoln
12-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I already know most of you think I'm off base building a powder box. However, after a lot of conversation with my lovely (really!) wife, we agree that if I'm to keep powder in the house, it needs to be if a fire resistant box. So this project is to construct a small box large enough to hold 3-4 1lb containers of powder.

The interior will be approximately 10.5" tall x 6.5" wide x 9.5" - 8" deep. It will be fully lined inside and out with Hardie-Backer .25" concrete board with a .75" pine board sandwiched between. This Hardie-Backer is non-combustible so fire inside should only spread if the door opens enough to allow it, and fire outside should not engage the box. Heat is another issue but thermal protection is R:.13 per side plus whatever the .75" pine amounts to. It may not be perfect but it is better protection than the powder can sitting on the shelf.

The door will be in the front slope and be self closing with no latch securing it. In case of fire the pressure will open the door enough to vent as necessary without exploding.

I started with (of all things) a milk carton from Costco that contained 2 1-gal containers of milk. This after futzing for a couple days on how big it should be. This will fit on my closet shelf in the office so it's good. Plus I could cut the box to make a model and attach the inside layer of backer board to the box with duct tape. It will be attached to the pine with flooring adhesive so please ignore the duct tape.

In my usual construction activities the first order of business includes lots of bandages and adhesive tape. Don't understand why I can't keep my stupid finger out of the way of the utility knife.

The first thing I discovered is if you build on a model, make sure the model is square. I had to back up a step to fix mine - well, it LOOKED square before I started.

Today I finished the inside layer. Edges are not perfect but will be when the board is laid out. The cardboard box kind of pooches here and there. Besides, I have access to firewall compound used to seal holes for conduit and intend to grout the seams.

Below are pics to date. And don't get persnickety about my obvious lack of engineering applied to the project. Sometimes it's more fun to begin a journey with a destination in mind but no idea how to get there.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/Powder%20Box%20Construction/P1000911.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/Powder%20Box%20Construction/P1000914.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/Powder%20Box%20Construction/P1000912.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/Powder%20Box%20Construction/P1000913.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/Powder%20Box%20Construction/P1000917.jpg

Next phase is cutting and fitting the board, as soon as I get more bandaids!

Bob Landry
01-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Powder is as safe sitting on the closet shelf as it is in a box. If it were exposed to heat, the plastic bottle would melt and although the powder would burn rapidly, it would not explode.

OldLincoln
01-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Yup, Bob, you are precisely correct. The box is designed to prevent a small fire from melting the canister and igniting the powder. Won't prevent a big fire from doing so, but perhaps allow us time to get out. Besides my wife feels a lot more comfortable about having powder in the house if it's stored in the box. Yes, she does understand but I want her to feel secure and safe. I'm also going to construct a small box for primers.

As for the box. It is ready for the outside panels to be glued to the wood and then painted. Hinges are installed it appears to be well constructed and of good design. Now the weather is too firggin cold for me to work on it. We expect the sun to come out in a few days and I can glue it then, outside. I have to have all the pieces & glue at inside temp, glue them and bring them in to cure for 24 hours under compression. I'm using Weldwood Contact Cement for laminating veneers, metal and wood.

Once complete I'll post pics.

OldLincoln
01-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Getting closer..... The sun came out yesterday so I got the first primer coat on the box, was overcast today but almost poked through so I snuck in the second coat. Warming up a couple degrees but remaining overcast the rest of the week. I need two days - one for each top coat (maybe three) as I will not hurry this part. I am awful with painting and the experts tell me anybody can paint if they are patient.

100percent
01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
I have used duct tape as kindling. Corrugated cardboard has glue in it to hold it together.

I think you might google smokeless powder storage.

Here is one link: http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#recommendations

500KV
01-14-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm apparently missing the point here. Guess I need to read the whole thread before I even comment, but why not just get one of those big plastic containers from WW and be done with it?
They really work well to store powder in, just have to exercise reasonable precautions.

Unless you build a metal fire resistant container of some sort I don't see what's going on here.
Just my inability to understand I'm sure but help me out a little.:confused:

Bawanna
01-14-2011, 02:39 PM
In my conversations with Old Lincoln I would describe his project as a peace of mind thing for him but mostly for Mrs Old Lincoln.

He's aware that it's overkill but sometimes overkill is not always a bad thing.

His door design will allow any pressure that might develop to escape so as to eliminate the kaboom factor and allow the powder to just burn in a large fire.

I think it might even be just a nice project to keep him off the streets and something to occupy his time in the shop and move the dust around some.

I keep powder in an old wood box with a removeable lid. Usually theres a can or 2 on a shelf near the bench.

Can't blame him for being cautious and careful.

Tilos
01-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Coleman cooler for me, it tends to moderate temperature swings within, humid in Florida, not so in Idaho.
just sayin'
Tilos

500KV
01-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I think it might even be just a nice project to keep him off the streets and something to occupy his time in the shop and move the dust around some.

Well now, that's a perfectly plausible explanation and strikes my superficial judgment favorably.
Thank you sir. :yo:

OldLincoln
01-14-2011, 05:11 PM
I have used duct tape as kindling. Corrugated cardboard has glue in it to hold it together.

I think you might google smokeless powder storage.

Here is one link: http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#recommendations Thanks 100%!!! I got a great big belly laugh out of that one!

I wasn't goi9ng to post another pic until it is painted but given our weather that may be a while. but here is the current state:

This front on view lets you see it's size in relation to a standard sized paint can. That's the color I'll paint it if the weather cooperates. The gold drawer pull is for the lid. I chose it over a knob because the lid is heavier than one might expect and I don't want it dropped free.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/Powder%20Box%20Construction/P1010088.jpg

This view shows the angled front, which makes the door self closing. I didn't want a powder box with the door left open. Just raise the door and take out/put in the powder.
http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/Powder%20Box%20Construction/P1010086.jpg

Here you can see it with the door open. Also shows the construction. It is wood sandwiched between 2 concrete panels. Hard to see, but all seams overlap so one will not go straight through the outside into the inside. Even the hinge seam overlaps.
http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/Powder%20Box%20Construction/P1010085.jpg

Here it is with my brand new can of powder I bought a couple hours ago. 3 cans will sit upright with room around them. I can stack 6 total of this size, but do not intend to have more than 1 or 2. The inside has quite a bit of headroom as you can estimate from the pic above.
http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/Powder%20Box%20Construction/P1010084.jpg

I said in my first post that I got the design from toying with a Costco milk box that the 2 - 1gal bottles come in. This was a lot of work to design and build but fun too. I have material left over to build a primer box, but may just use a plastic box from something else. Maybe glue some concrete paneling on it, but not let it slow me down.

OldLincoln
01-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Coleman cooler for me, it tends to moderate temperature swings within, humid in Florida, not so in Idaho.
just sayin'
TilosWhen I was having my normal mid-project struggles I noticed our cooler just sitting there in the garage. I thought how easy it would be to just set the powder in it and be done. Since there's no room in the house for it and I don't want it in the garage, I thought on one of those small press down coolers that hold a tall 6 pack and thought Hmmmm, don't let the guys know about that or you'll really catch the dickens. So I have to keep that thought to myself. "Self, I says, don't be flapping your lips now, ya hear?"

OldLincoln
01-14-2011, 05:24 PM
In my conversations with Old Lincoln I would describe his project as a peace of mind thing for him but mostly for Mrs Old Lincoln.

He's aware that it's overkill but sometimes overkill is not always a bad thing.

His door design will allow any pressure that might develop to escape so as to eliminate the kaboom factor and allow the powder to just burn in a large fire.

I keep powder in an old wood box with a removeable lid. Usually theres a can or 2 on a shelf near the bench.

Can't blame him for being cautious and careful. You got me pegged Bawanna. Cautious and careful are just a couple of my many character flaws. Besides, my beautiful bride of 44 years is really proud of me for the job I did and that makes it all worthwhile. Note: Today marks the 45th anniversary of our first date, a blind date set up by her cousin who I worked with.

I have to say working on this did really pick me up and got me moving. It was something I needed at the time. Now it's time to get some casings reloaded and shot.

Tilos
01-14-2011, 06:16 PM
OL:
Nice pics of the box.
You will need that extra head room for the pound of Unique you will be buying;).
Is that concrete board tile backer board or Hardy Siding?
What did you cut it with?
Tilos

OldLincoln
01-14-2011, 06:24 PM
It's the 1/4" Hardy HardiBacker board for floors and counter tops. I cut it with my utility knife - not fun. I originally was going to cut it but that was more difficult and the dust was terrible. I discovered that heavy scribing both sides 3 or 4 times makes for a very clean break. I then used a bench grinder, rasp, metal file and sandpaper to shape it right.

I just hope the concrete dust doesn't kill me. I didn't give up and wear a mask until about half way through. I know that was dumb, I just don't like them. I suspect I'll like them better than lung cancer someday if my number comes up.

94zcar
01-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Nice job on that box, looks like it will work great hope you never need it.

OldLincoln
01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
It's finished! Here are the last pics, promise, but I didn't want to leave the thread unfinished. I know it may not have been necessary, and as Bawanna said, it is a "comfort item" to make us 'feel' better about storing powder and primers in the house and it's not in the garage because of weather fluctuations.

New lookers can see the above for details, so without further adieu here they are (did I mention it is red?):

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/Powder%20Box%20Construction/P1010094.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Reloading/Powder%20Box%20Construction/P1010093.jpg

Bawanna
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
That turned out real nice Old Lincoln. Looks good.

Now we as a group have to think up something else for OL to fabricate and build. I dont want the dust in his garage to settle too much or have him start bonding with the recliner again.
Oprah, Bon Bons, and that recliner are not on the list of healthy activities.

OldLincoln
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Not to worry.... I finished my prototype of a brass catcher built to fit my indoor range that has shooter stalls with a bench. No pics as I have it pined together so I can make adjustments on site, then sew it. It's looking better than I thought and folds up compactly. Has camo netting and in theory will net flying brass and gently slide it down into a container on the shelf.

It's funny how the mind will chew on something for a long time then all at once the picture opens and it is clear.

Bawanna
01-19-2011, 12:57 PM
"all at once the picture opens and it is clear. "

I'm soooo looking forward to this happening to me someday.