PDA

View Full Version : Missing Frontsite Dot?

JLeephoto
12-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Hey guys, new to this forum and to a Kahr PM9. Just put my 500th flawless round through her tonight and did a thorough cleaning, only to realize afterward that the white dot on my front site is...gone. I don't know if it was an application or just paint? Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions for what to do about it? First thought is to just fill in with paint but I can't even put a bumper sticker on straight, and is there a certain type that will hold up better? Ideas anyone?

Seahawk60
12-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Clean it off well with rubbing alcohol, let it dry and use a good enamel paint. Apply with a toothpick. OR...PERFECT excuse to upgrade to night sights...

JLeephoto
12-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks Seahawk, I do have a CT installed so I'm not without an aiming device, but I'm still in debate over how much I like the laser. Good for trigger work practice but don't want to loose the habit of looking for that front sight. I'd go for a night sight on the front if I thought I could install myself but don't like the thought of sending the slide in since this has just become my primary carry piece.
Guess I'll make a trip to the hobby shop tomorrow for that enamel.
BTW: is it "site" or "sight?"

MikeyKahr
12-15-2010, 11:45 PM
sight. Congrats on the PM9, glad to hear you've had such a good experience.

kramm
12-16-2010, 05:30 AM
No big deal on the sight. If you have a wife, finger nail polish will work. The hobie shop should give you all kinds of options on paint though.

Diocoles
12-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Found a bright flourescent yellow or white works really good.

JLeephoto
12-16-2010, 07:56 AM
No big deal, I believe it using my tools so don't get stressed about blemishes and such, but I've never had one come off so quickly or easily. Hate to think that every time I clean her, I'm gonna have to make painting a part of the routine. I wonder if that was just paint or some type of application, I never noticed.
Anyone know how hard it is to replace the front with a night sight, or is the general wisdom to have an armorer do it?
Maybe I'll just glue a little rhinestone on there....

Seahawk60
12-16-2010, 08:10 AM
BTW: is it "site" or "sight?"

Sight...as in "to see"...aka, eyesight...gun SIGHTS...

Site = place. Site of the crash, website, etc...

getsome
12-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi JLeephoto, My CW40 did the same thing and what I did was use a small drill bit the size of the dot and turned it by hand to clean out the hole a little deeper then after a spray with electronic cleaner I let it dry then bought some white appliance epoxy enamel (super hard stuff after dry) from Lowes and used a tooth pick to drip a small amount into the hole with the slide off and stood it muzzle end down and let it dry overnight...Works great...I now have night sights but while the paint was in there it never wiped away again after cleaning...

mr surveyor
12-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi JLeephoto, My CW40 did the same thing and what I did was use a small drill bit the size of the dot and turned it by hand to clean out the hole a little deeper then after a spray with electronic cleaner I let it dry then bought some white appliance epoxy enamel (super hard stuff after dry) from Lowes and used a tooth pick to drip a small amount into the hole with the slide off and stood it muzzle end down and let it dry overnight...Works great...I now have night sights but while the paint was in there it never wiped away again after cleaning...

this (if you don't choose to upgrade to the tritium sights)

JLeephoto
12-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks Getsome, that's just the type of creative solution I was looking for.

getsome
12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
My pleasure sir...Good luck and congrats on your fine shootin PM9...:cool:

mr surveyor
12-16-2010, 10:16 PM
you can get a very small bottle of the appliance touch up paint at most hardware stores... not much bigger than the Testor's Model paint bottles... which also work pretty well:)

surv

OldLincoln
12-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Question... did you spray your slide with brake cleaner? I read somewhere that it will remove painted sights.

JLeephoto
12-17-2010, 08:30 PM
I sprayed the inside of the slide with Gun Scrubber, which I understand is similar to brake cleaner. I had the all the parts laying on a rag that may have gotten saturated with it but I didn't intentionally saturate any of the plastic parts, but obviously I wasn't careful about it either. Then I lubed, and wiped everything down with Breakfree. I didn't notice it was gone until I reassembled and started dry fire practice. The dot was removed so completely that I thought it must be some kind of insert that had fallen off? But, maybe it's just painted on. Just repainted with Tester enamel model enamel since I had that handy. But, may try to pick up some type of white epoxy if it continues to be a problem.
I love the size, weight, & fit of these little Kahrs, BUT (putting my flame retardant suit on,) I'm a bit frustrated with the little quirks that exist considering the price of these gems. Nothing major, but quirks like having to use the slide stop to chamber the first round, magazines that protrude slightly and/or fail to drop free, and sight paint that simply wipes off with cleaner, are issues I've never had with other high quality pistols. I AM willing to put up with these minor imperfections for the sheer carry ability of these pistols, BUT if Glock made one with the same specs, I'd be the first in line for a trade. Anyway, that's my little rant. We're all entitled to one right?

jocko
12-18-2010, 10:42 AM
good question to ask kahr. IS THE DOT PAINTED OR IS IT A TRUE DOT INSERTED. If it is painted, I wouldnot want gun scrubber, hoppes, or brake cleaner near that painted dot. I wold bet though it you repainted that dot as u did and then clear sealed it with epoxy that no cleaner willthen bother it. I try to keep any cleaners away from my sights, doesnt matter to me what cleaner either, for once you ruin a good sight, it is then alittle to late to say, oops don't put gunscrubber on sights etc. Wipe thare area off with a silicone cloth or something lightly oiled..

Seahawk60
12-18-2010, 11:55 AM
I love the size, weight, & fit of these little Kahrs, BUT (putting my flame retardant suit on,) I'm a bit frustrated with the little quirks that exist considering the price of these gems. Nothing major, but quirks like having to use the slide stop to chamber the first round, magazines that protrude slightly and/or fail to drop free, and sight paint that simply wipes off with cleaner, are issues I've never had with other high quality pistols.

I don't have to use the slide stop with my PM9. In fact, I prefer not to use it because I feel it places extra wear on the slide and stop. I do really have to "grip it and rip it" to chamber hollowpoints, but it works.

I have six 6rd magazines and the 7rd mag. Everyone drops free.

Never had a problem with the front sight dot, but I use nothing harsher than CLP and Militec grease to clean/lube. Gun scrubber/Powder Blast is for the AKs with corrosive ammo. :D