PDA

View Full Version : Best Kahr and Why??

scotty_MK9
12-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Thought this would be an intersting thread... Which kahr that you own is your favorite and why?

I own a p380... which is not fully broken in yet and not totally reliable yet either... a cw40 and a MK9.

My fav so far is the MK9. Only got 250 rounds or so out of it but it is very accurate and so far digests everything i have put through it. I am kind of a pocket gun nut and this thing defenitly fits the bill... Just wish i had a pm9 in the other pocket to balance things out :) Maybe in a few months afer i financially recover from christmas!

So what is your favorite kahr and why?

Scotty MK9

kahrdriver
12-22-2010, 11:52 PM
PM9-best size/weight to power ratio among, not only Kahrs, but all pistols. You simply can't get a better cc pistol imho.

scotty_MK9
12-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Ya i have kinda been on the hunt for one the past year but cant seem to find it at local dealers... i have heard the rorbaugh is even smaller but have also heard it is a little more ammo picky. 1000 dollars seems a bit steep to me.

DasFriek
12-23-2010, 12:39 AM
My favorite Kahr would be a free one!
Maybe not tho as i love my MK9 an awful lot.

I don't have enough experience with Kahr's to pick a favorite, But i can say the MK/PM 9mm line would most likely be my pick as i did months of research before i ever bought my MK. So i didn't buy it with the "Hopes" id like it, I knew i would from the get go.
But that PM45 may win my heart yet, And steal my wallet in the process.

dusty10
12-23-2010, 02:53 AM
My all black K9. They have been making them a long time. From what I have been able to deduce, all Kahrs are based around that design. It also fits my hand the best of all the Kahrs I own. :yo:

PaiN
12-23-2010, 04:02 AM
I can't tell you what my favorite Kahr is yet....because my K9 is still on layaway ;) but my least favorite was a PM40.

My all black K9. They have been making them a long time. From what I have been able to deduce, all Kahrs are based around that design. It also fits my hand the best of all the Kahrs I own. :yo:
I suspect once I get my all black K9 it is going to bump strait up to the top of the list of favorite guns, period.
I read the same when looking into the K9. It was Mr. Moon's brain-child, he wanted to blend the simplicity and reliability of Glock with the ergonomics and shoot-ability of Sig Sauer, in an easily concealable package....born the K9

jocko
12-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Ya i have kinda been on the hunt for one the past year but cant seem to find it at local dealers... i have heard the rorbaugh is even smaller but have also heard it is a little more ammo picky. 1000 dollars seems a bit steep to me.

is smaller and lighter but that is where it all ends. It won't take the rounds a kahr can, it is very ammo sensitive. It is not a fun gun to shoot. It is a quality peace definitely made to carry often and shoot seldom. That to me is not a gun I would want at any price. If I can't shoot it like I toleit, I don't want it. Sometimes a gun can get so small that it then inpratical.

My trusty PM9 has over 30,000+ rounds and has never given me one issue to make me think I don'thave a totally reliable defense gun, that for me is a real hoot to shoot..

No doubt a K9 is the to mr the 1911 in looks and quality and also like a fine woman, "just a great feel to"

cw45fan
12-23-2010, 04:57 AM
30,000+ rounds!!!!!! Wow...

CW9 my favorite... So "handy"... Fits like a glove... Natural pointer, soft shooter.

kramm
12-23-2010, 06:31 AM
I only have 1 Kahr, so it's my favorite. PM4544n. It's also my edc.

CS534
12-23-2010, 06:34 AM
I think the PM9 combines size, capacity, and caliber very well. To me it seems to be a good blend of all. I will be getting one real soon!

kahrseye
12-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Of the Kahrs I own, the PM45 is my favorite to carry. I carry it in a Tagua paddle holster but have on occasion pocket carried it as well. The other thing I like about it is that BIG HOLE at the end. Would definitely cause some major damage if and when necessary. PM9 would be my 2nd choice, especially for pocket carry. The new MK9 Elite is the beauty of the bunch, my show piece.

The Rohrbaugh seems like a fine weapon and a bit pricey. The thing I don't like about it, is the bottom mag release. In a situation that requires a reload, that could be disasterous.

Kenjs2
12-23-2010, 08:03 AM
My MK9. It's an older one, 1997, I've got over 1000 rounds through it. Shoots great, ammo cheap and easy to carry in my Stoner IWB Stealth holster. I couldn't have gotten a better startup gun. There's something about an all steel gun that just feels good.

ripley16
12-23-2010, 08:14 AM
I challenge anyone to pick up a K9 and not say to themselves, (or even outloud), "Damn, this gun is perfect!" :D

Having said that... I like them all.

mr. bggs
12-23-2010, 09:56 AM
i agree about the feel of the k series. i went with the 40 tho just based on availability. i thought this is the one, there is no way i can get a better gun than this... then i got a pm 9 with a crossbreed super tuck on trade, OH BOY, to anyone who owns a k series, give that little pm a try, from a carry standpoint, that reduction in weight makes it a dream to carry! I've heard guys say i literally forgot it was there and thought whatever, but for the first time in my 10 years of carrying, when combined with the crossbreed, i truly forgot i was wearing it! it just becomes an extension of you. I'll keep my k40 for the range and truck but the pm9 is my new take-along guy. i named her lassie bc she's always there when i need her.

jocko
12-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I just consider the K and any P series two complete different guns. they might have allthe upper parts the same but the PM series is a ultra lightweight small gun, no matter what caliber u pick over the K series.

If u love steel, you have to love the K series, it is to me the cadillac of all kahrs and puts to shame many other all steel guns made by other mfgers. My K9 goes bang every damn time, shoots farily close to where I aim. I shoot it better than my PM9 but my PM9 is in my pocket 24/7 and that is where the rubber meets the road.

Mr. Bggs, I have forgot manytimes it wa sin my front pocketk when crossing over the line into komi state Illinois. I did remember though when I wa slayingon the highway after a bad motorcycle wreck about 3 montyhs ago and having ambulances and para medics all around to remember to callthe chief of police over who was all there and whom I knew to inform him I had my 9mmin my front pocket and owuld he please see that my wifes gets it. I hadned it to him and no one ever even noticed. Had I been knocked unconscious at that time I am sure the people at the hospital when they undressed me would have sh-t their drawers. I was 100% legal though, so that helped alot..

That is the nice thing about the Rohrbaugh 9mm, whether u like the bottom mag release orn ot, that little gun just dissapear. It is reliable witht he RIGHT ammo which they will also tell you in the manual to,It will save your life. It is not a last round lock open gun either, it is smallit is light and it is top quality,but again it cannot take the rounds and is not +P rated if that means anything to most.

I can assure you it will be hard pressed to go 30,000 rounds, let alone any shooter to do it with a R9, My PM9 looks totally new, never misses a beat and to me it is apples and oranges even..

I have no doubt that we wil lnever see one but think about the K45 if it was made. talk about a nut grabber, wow, might even make some of the 1911 boys shiver "ALITTLE"

bigmacque
12-23-2010, 11:42 AM
30,000 rounds .... wow.

At the best price I've seen lately for 9mm, that's about $7,000.00 worth of ammo you've sent down range from that little gun.

Wow.

Dietrich
12-23-2010, 11:50 AM
PM9-best size/weight to power ratio among, not only Kahrs, but all pistols. You simply can't get a better cc pistol imho.
Can I hear an Amen? AMEN!!!

kpm9
12-23-2010, 12:03 PM
I have a couple and have had some others. Although I don't have a K9, I've shot one my dad's when he was alive. He once asked me if I wanted it and I didn't take him up on it.

I'm currently looking for one because I remember how good it was. I think its the best, followed by the PM9 which is the one I carry most now.

gunmut
12-23-2010, 12:21 PM
That is like asking me which of my kids I love the most; I always love them but there are times when I may like one a lot less than the others....if you know what I mean

OldLincoln
12-23-2010, 01:56 PM
I like my PM9 an awful lot, but it's the only one I've shot. I'd like to shoot a PM45 but the range doesn't rent those out.

BobR
12-23-2010, 02:20 PM
I love all the steel frame Kahrs. The only unpleasant experience I have had shooting a Kahr was a PM .40. In guns as small as the Khar, my preferance is for steel frames, as in my experience, the polymer frame guns of this size are too snappy for fast follow up shots. THe steel frames bang them out on target in record time.

My all time favourite is the K9-Elite, but it is my MK 9 that is always with me.

One of these days, I have to pick up a T 9 or T 40.

jocko
12-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Heh BobR. Port that little PM40 and enjoy it alot more. ur right though that 40 cal in such a small lightweight is a hand full...Ijust never could cozy up the the 40 cals.

jfrey
12-23-2010, 08:37 PM
best Kahr: CW9 why: 'cuz I carry one.

olympicmotorcars
12-23-2010, 09:11 PM
PM 40 for me. The most power in the smallest size available. I came from shooting revolvers, mostly 357s and the recoil in the 40 just never has bothered me. I carry it 24/7/365.

cgo99
12-23-2010, 09:53 PM
I second the statement :yo:.

f44life
12-23-2010, 09:56 PM
pm9...i wouldnt carrry it daily if i didnt think it would do the job

scotty_MK9
12-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Man all this talk bout the pm9 has me wantin one bad!! It is a rare occasion to find any kahr pistol around here for some reason.. Although the other week i saw a p45 but didnt handle it cuz i was in a hurry..

I can understand the pm40 prolly bein a handful to shoot.. I shot my cw40 without a strong grip and almost hit myself in the face with it..

I used to have an amt backup 45 that was also a little hand cannon!

PaiN
12-24-2010, 03:59 AM
I can see me getting a PM9 someday....

For those days when my outfit just will not work with a bigger gun...
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-04-11-transvestite.jpg

jocko
12-24-2010, 06:27 AM
sure looks like a Harley Rider to me!!!!!

Warhammer
12-24-2010, 07:46 AM
I'll have to vote for the K series. My K40, purchased in 1996, has been incredibly reliable. Yes, it's heavier than the P's, but you read many few problems with the K's than the P's. Overall, the weight and size are great for EDC (I think people obsess about a few ounces unnecessarily), recol in .40 is very managable, and it's fun to shoot on the range. I think the K's have the highest build quality of all the Kahrs. I have well over 5000 rounds through my K40 and still love it.

BobR
12-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Heh BobR. Port that little PM40 and enjoy it alot more. ur right though that 40 cal in such a small lightweight is a hand full...Ijust never could cozy up the the 40 cals.

Hi Jocko, it isn't mine to port, but a friends. He is a larger guy than me, and it works OK for him - me, I am dead average for a 1940's era guy (born 20 years to late), height, weight when I was younger, and shoe size. I used to be able to fit in all the surplus uniforms that were too small for my other friends, which would have given me an edge in WWII reenactment.

joshh
12-24-2010, 07:59 AM
really like my ma compliant pm9 as a daily carry. wish i could buy some of the other models but they arent "safe" enough for sale in MA.

jocko
12-24-2010, 09:06 AM
the K series is just kahrs best but a few ounces compared to what. A K9 weights 25 ounces with mag. a PM9 weights 15.9 with magazine, that is a bundle. no matter how you say it..

earle8888
12-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Only have tried and own, P45 and PM40 like um both. Thinking a PM45 would keep me in the same caliber, and I am a 45APC guy. Intellectually, I believe the 40 is the best overall pocket carry, and/or BUG. Still like the 45.

garyb
12-26-2010, 10:17 AM
I settled on the 40S&W as my caliber because I have confidence in the caliber. Simply put, NO ONE ever questions the 40S&W's ability, nor that of the 45. (I simply lacked complete confidence in the 380 auto and the 9mm...but that is just me. ) I wanted a semi auto, so I settled on the Kahr PM4044N because it is the most compact semi I could find on the market in this caliber. I picked the PM4044N with a CTL for its' size, weight and concealment qualities, trigger, night sights, color and mag selections. I find it to be great for pocket carry and great for concealment. It is a very accurate and versatile personal defense handgun. It is a very pleasant handgun to shoot. Try one for yourself. The more you shoot it, the more confidence you build and the more you will love it. You will hear others complain about the PM40 being too much for them. If you believe you fall into that category, then maybe the 9mm or 380 is right for you.
The sword you carry is not something that is to be disputed. It is a personal thing.

f44life
12-27-2010, 12:13 AM
I can see me getting a PM9 someday....

For those days when my outfit just will not work with a bigger gun...
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-04-11-transvestite.jpg

nice legs:rolleyes:;)

doctorxring
01-16-2011, 12:56 PM

30K round count in a PM9. That's amazing, but surely believable
at the same time. What a test bed !

Jocko - Could you give a rough run down of the parts you've
had to replace, or anything other than standard maintenance
on this gun, along with the round count at the part change/repair ?

thanks ! Chris

jocko
01-16-2011, 01:43 PM

30K round count in a PM9. That's amazing, but surely believable
at the same time. What a test bed !

Jocko - Could you give a rough run down of the parts you've
had to replace, or anything other than standard maintenance
on this gun, along with the round count at the part change/repair ?

thanks ! Chris

problems. changed recoil springs numerous times. Mag springs a few times, kinda lost count of each, Had two cracked magazine followers that never gave an issue until I took the magazines apart to clean them and the follower fell apart. Other than that, I did put in a 5# striker spirng from the git go and have never rereplaced it. Noting else has broken, or worn either. They are built like a damn tank and it you look at the kahr slide and glock slides they are very closely made. just top quality. I never tried to shoot my PM9 for high round count, just worked out that way. It ismy favorite gun to shoot over every gun I own, due to it being my 24/7 carry peace, I want to know every damn thing about it. If it didn't like butter I would change to margarine. I want to keep it happy so it can keep me happy... Never have touched the slide lock spring, not one time, put it in properly and u will never have to go to that area for nadda... I did put xs big dots on it .. Love um, can't hit sh-t with um beyond 15 yards but I never could hit jack sh-t with um with regualr sights!!!! Guys here will attest, ol jocko is not a shooter.. He shoots alot but is not a shooter..

100percent
01-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Since I only have one Kahr. It is the one that I like best.
PM40.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2TXqn84DtE
I got interested in 40 after a friend gave me 160 pounds of 40sw brass.
I probably won't get another larger one as I have those bases covered by Glock.

Jeff00042
01-16-2011, 03:08 PM
K9 2003 Elite. It is accurate, comfortable to shoot and has never jammed.

Indigo
01-16-2011, 03:31 PM
K9 2003 Elite. It is accurate, comfortable to shoot and has never jammed.

I second that. It is as accurate as anything I've ever fired. It's hard to ask anything more.

jocko
01-16-2011, 03:35 PM
wellu certainly have the best looking and probalby the best made kahr made to.

jlottmc
01-17-2011, 08:08 PM
I'll chime in now, I own a P45, dream of a K40, and heaven help us a K45. Then again, I need to look at the PM and MK series, and as long as the calibers at least start with a 4 I'm aboard.

Catshooter
01-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Are you kidding!?! It has to be the one, the only PM 45! There can be no queston actually. Sorry.

A six shot .45 the size of a PPK? That also weighs less? Yikes. That's a feat of engineering, to be sure.

Mine took to some work and one trip back to the mothership to get it fully on board, but it was worth it. I wouldn't want it to be my only pistol, but it sure fills a spot in the line up.

Cat

Ognimalf
01-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I've owned a K9, K40, MK9, P9 Covert, (3) PM9, PM40, PM45, P45, and a P380. I currently own the third PM9 now. I know you said favorite but my personally favorites are the K40, P45, PM40, PM9, and P380