PDA

View Full Version : chipped barrel on new pm9?

apheod
12-23-2010, 05:30 PM
i'm not sure how this happened, but it was like this when i bought the pistol (at a gunshow, as BNIB from a gun shop's display)

at the top rear of the barrel, almost centered up, theres a mark, is this anything to be worried about, left alone, or should i just smooth it out with sandpaper?

http://img529.imageshack.us/i/dsc00906large.jpg

http://img815.imageshack.us/i/dsc00909large.jpg/

Bawanna
12-23-2010, 06:03 PM
I think I'd just carefully file off the bur. It almost had to be just dropped or something, not sure what would cause that right in that spot.
I like to polish the hood anyhow so a little fine filing and then some fine sandpaper and maybe a dremel polishing wheel and it'll look better than new.
I can't see it hurthing anything in that spot.
Anyone else see something I'm missing?

kpm9
12-23-2010, 07:07 PM
If it doesn't cause malfunctions (you've already shot it?) I'd not worry abut it. If you've not shot it yet, take it back to the dealer if possible and request a replacement gun or money off to buy a new barrel.

While it won't cause a problem, you shouldn't have to pay full price for a damaged gun if it is new.

Mac4Willy
12-23-2010, 07:28 PM
I agree with Bawanna, just file it lightly, a little polishing compound, new shine and it will be the same as new. And after your done, no one would even know, unless you pointed it out to them.

jocko
12-24-2010, 09:21 AM
what these guys stated is the way to go. It is nothing, I doubt if kahr would replace it either. File it down, polish it up and just shoot it like you stole it. It will effect nadda. A same tha tyou did not notice it when lookng it over but that is understandable also. nice gun, now go to the kahr tech secion and hit on>

#1 Kahr lube chart

#2 Propper prepping of your new kahr

#3 now shoot it like u stole it.

MERRY CHRST-MASS

OldLincoln
12-24-2010, 11:25 AM
As above I recommend you smooth out burrs and rough places on your barrel and matching places on your slide. With gun unloaded, you can slightly work the slide and see where that spot on the barrel meats the slide. If left alone it could scratch or burr the slide.

Also look over the barrel for other sharp or burred spots and find their matching places on the slide. Smooth out all and polish a bit and all works better. I use a finger nail file for light spots. It doesn't remove much and smooths well.

Lobo_79
12-27-2010, 03:04 AM
i'm not sure how this happened, but it was like this when i bought the pistol (at a gunshow, as BNIB from a gun shop's display)

at the top rear of the barrel, almost centered up, theres a mark, is this anything to be worried about, left alone, or should i just smooth it out with sandpaper?

http://img529.imageshack.us/i/dsc00906large.jpg

http://img815.imageshack.us/i/dsc00909large.jpg/

Your DSC909 photograph seems to show that the plating is pealing off the barrel. I would encourage you to email this picture to Kahr Customer Service and get their recommendation on what, if anything, to do about this. When my barrel did this they replaced it for free. They sent me a new one and then I returned the faulty one.

A few years ago I'm told Kahr had a problem with a process they used for plating barrels. Some production run of barrel plating pealed off or flaked off like a bad sun burn. In my case the plating came off inside the chamber.

I was extremely pleased with the way Kahr's CS handled this problem, and again I would encourage you to at least pose the question to them.

jocko
12-27-2010, 03:45 AM
lobo. IMo that is not the plating coming off the barrel but the dull finish that is put on that barrel after the plating. Why the vendor who does the plating for kahr does this is odd, as it will wear off. but that is not the plating. My PM9 barrel had this dull finsih on it and I just polished it all off the barrel completely to a nice shine, which is the nickel plating now showing.

Kahr willnot replce a barrel with this dull finish coming off, but they will replace as u stated a nickel plating coming off the barrel. What happened to your barrel was an issue that kahr had with one of their plating vendors, that has not been resolved quite awhile ago.