PDA

View Full Version : how are you guys smoothing out the notches on the slide?

apheod
12-24-2010, 02:38 PM
so using the notches on the slide bites into your hand, what tools are you using to smooth those out, without marring up the slide?

OldLincoln
12-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Oh, after ripping up your hand a few hundred times you develop scar tissue and it doesn't hurt any more.:)

If your slide isn't black you can file away the sharpness and some have done that. Well you can do it even if black but that puts shiny lines on the slide. I can say I don't advise a Dremmel as it's too hard to get even. You only need to hit the leading edge so I'd secure the slide and carefully stone it just enough to take the bite off. Just take your time.

jocko
12-24-2010, 11:52 PM
also proper hand racking with cupped hand over the top of the slide will eliminate alot of that bit ur getting as the hand is not doing all work even though your fingers are stillon the slide serations. Works great to.

apheod
12-25-2010, 12:28 AM
also proper hand racking with cupped hand over the top of the slide will eliminate alot of that bit ur getting as the hand is not doing all work even though your fingers are stillon the slide serations. Works great to.

i do use this technique, but still have the tip of my index and middle fingers on the serrations. still, the edges seem sharper than necessary.

jeep45238
12-25-2010, 12:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjLbFOw8sow

WGSNewnan
12-25-2010, 07:11 AM
just get yourself a half inch arkansas stone and lightly hit them.

dusty10
12-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Oh, after ripping up your hand a few hundred times you develop scar tissue and it doesn't hurt any more.:)

true dat. I have the scars to prove it. :D

Stoning seems to work best. Just take your time so not to mar the surrounding areas. You can also tape off around the serrations to buffer the stone from cutting where you don't want it. Post a pic of your gun if you can. Regards, Dusty

Tilos
12-25-2010, 09:30 AM
For me:
Stoning notches...If you use a small diameter ROUND stone, the right diameter stone will lay across each notch and only touch the sharp edges.
This method creates a uniform bevel/chamfer, and takes the oops and being careful out of the operation.
just sayin'
Tilos

OldLincoln
12-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks Tilos.... You are chock full of good tips. I enjoy reading them thinking I'll bet that DOES make it easier/better/faster. Ya know, just sayin'.... Merry Christmas Tilos.

garyb
12-26-2010, 06:25 AM
I have not had any problems with any sharp edges on my PM4044N. I have read about these edges prior to my purchase, but did not experience any problems. Perhaps Kahr did something different on the newer releases....don't know for sure. I am glad it was not a problem, because I have the diamond coat black version and would hate to think about creating shiny spots on my nice black conceal gun.

Tilos
12-27-2010, 09:15 AM
OL:
Thanks, and I hope your Christmas was enjoyable too.

I try to help when I can and "shutup" when I cannot.
I've enjoyed going along with you, on your journey into loading.
I've found that addressing problems as they come up, with practical solutions, much more helpful that posting a lot of tech. mumbo jumbo or theory.
If that's considered "spoon feeding" then I'm guilty as charged.

Loading can be complex but does not need to be.

I'm a life long tinker'er and just spent 3 hours in the garage at 25 degrees!
I came to Florida because it's warmer here...OK then.
My loading stuff is still where "it's cold" in Idaho.

Mr.B: sorry, more geezer drift

just sayin'
Tilos

Bawanna
12-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Tilos rocks! I'm a tinkerer too.