PDA

View Full Version : Sporting clays shooters?

Jeremiah/Az
12-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Are there any sporting clays shooters here? No, not with your Kahr! A shotgun. I shoot 2 or 3 times a week. I shot a round today. 70º here in Az. today.

f44life
12-24-2010, 11:16 PM
i shoot clay pigeons with my kahr....well i dont through them in the air....i ran out of paint cans and pop bottles to shoot and there cheap

jocko
12-24-2010, 11:54 PM
we have a nice ragne 12 miles from my home, They just held a major sporting clays tournament in sept there. Had over 150 shooters, nice event.

jocko
12-24-2010, 11:55 PM
i shoot clay pigeons with my kahr....well i dont through them in the air....i ran out of paint cans and pop bottles to shoot and there cheap

s.o.b. clay pigeons better be at least 12" in diameter if I am going to hit them with my PM9 at 10 yards AND DEFINITELY NOT MOVING EITHER..:p

mr surveyor
12-25-2010, 09:16 AM
up until the obomanation of ammunition a couple of years ago, I shot clays a couple times a week. Our range is set up for five stand "organized" competition a couple nights a week with electronic controlled machines, but always has the manual spring loaded throwers available at all times. For several years, at least once a week one of my buddies and I would grab a box of clays and a few boxes of shells and powder some dirt birds. About the same time ammo prices spiked, clays also became scarce (I seem to remember one of the few remaining plants that make clays had burned down), and worst of all, my buddy's wife of 30 years also became scarce. Unfortunately, he moved on (actually moved about a hundred miles away) and we don't get together much other than our dove hunting trips and the 4-5 times a year we all get together to eat the real birds:)

I guess I should get back active in the Friday/Saturday night five stand club shoots. I think it's still only 5 bucks for each 25 round match.

Great idea for a discussion thread. Shotgunning covers a whole lot of territory.

surv

Jeremiah/Az
12-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Thank you, Sir. We have one of the bigger gun clubs in the west 13 miles from my house. They have sporting, trap, skeet, wobble trap, bunker trap, 5 stand, FITASC, & a very easy course for beginners. We get lots of new shooters being close to Phoenix & us old timers are always willing to help the newbies. Lots of fun stuff!

mr surveyor
12-25-2010, 05:22 PM
I've never met a first time clay shooter that didn't sooner or later come back for seconds.

One of the most entertaining shooting formats I've ever shot was a true sporting clay range, set up like an 10 hole golf course, and the machines can be moved from time to time to make the challenge even more interesting.
There is one about 15 miles from me, but at $50 a round (not including ammunition) it gets pretty expensive for all but the most dedicated shotgunners.

jfrey
12-25-2010, 07:56 PM
For $50.00/ round, they better shoot my birds for me and make sure I get a perfect score. That is absurd. We pay $2.50 to $3.00/ round for skeet and trap at the local clubs and sporting clays wouldn't be much more. One club is building a 5 stand setup but local folks wouldn't dare pay that much for a single round. Them birds better be real tasty at that rate.

f44life
12-25-2010, 09:49 PM
s.o.b. clay pigeons better be at least 12" in diameter if I am going to hit them with my PM9 at 10 yards AND DEFINITELY NOT MOVING EITHER..:p

no there small ones...yeah there hard to shoot sometimes but its fun

bigmacque
12-26-2010, 05:38 AM
I've only done this once but I can't wait to go back and do it again.

There's a place just South of us that has three 12 stand courses and one six stand course set up in the woods, and you walk -- or take a golf cart -- between stands. Great day out in the woods, shooting, having fun and it's truly some of the most fun I've ever had shooting.

I am however burdened with one butt-ugly shotgun: a Mossberg model 190. It was made in the early '50's, and it's a bolt action that holds two shells in a clip and one in the battery. I love it, it's cool, and the history is cool but it's an ugly clay shooter.

jocko
12-26-2010, 05:57 AM
wow, does that ever bring memories. We sold alot of Mossbergs back yonder with the 2 shot magazines. They worked great and were very affordable. I remember even selling some with the Mossberg adjustable choke on them. (I think they called it the C-lect choke even) Thanks for the memories..

But as you already have found out, u are spitting in thewind trying to shoot sproting clays with a bolt action. Heh, I bet 9-0%of those shooting clays and seeiing your mossberg never had seen one. Course I shoot alot of skeet with a Iver Johnson Skeeter 12 side by side made back in the early 20". One of the finest side by sides you willever lay ur eyes on to..

Bawanna
12-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I've only done this once but I can't wait to go back and do it again.

There's a place just South of us that has three 12 stand courses and one six stand course set up in the woods, and you walk -- or take a golf cart -- between stands. Great day out in the woods, shooting, having fun and it's truly some of the most fun I've ever had shooting.

I am however burdened with one butt-ugly shotgun: a Mossberg model 190. It was made in the early '50's, and it's a bolt action that holds two shells in a clip and one in the battery. I love it, it's cool, and the history is cool but it's an ugly clay shooter.

Ugly is to the eye of the beholder and you just gotta love history. Like Jocko said your at a disadvantage for sure but I also know there's lots of fellas out there with guns that cost more than my car that cant hit squat.
I love old different stuff. I must be a sick man.
How bout post a picture of that old Mossy if ya got the technology?

Jeremiah/Az
12-26-2010, 08:16 PM
$50 is a little high unless it's a Country Club. Our club is $26 for 100 birds for members. I think $30 for nonmembers. They are all automatic machines & there is hired help to load them. I reload all of my shells, so that helps with the cost of ammo. Have a good bunch of guys to shoot with too. Much fun!

mr surveyor
12-26-2010, 10:12 PM
our 5 stand at our range club is five bucks for a round of five stand..25 birds. The fancy sporting clay range on the other side of the county is the one set up like a golf course on a couple hundred acres and is a buck a bird, or fifty bucks to walk, or cart your way through the 10 five shot stations. Can't afford that one very often. We do have a new trap stand at our club range, but I haven't given it a try yet. We (the club) bought a couple hundred acres adjoining the existing range last year, and I did some preliminary work to see if we could properly arrange a regulation skeet range on the property.... now that's an interesting design. A few of the higher ups decided we may be better served with a 600 yard rifle range on the new property, and or a competition three gun set up. I would like to see the skeet range myself, but the other plan would probably draw more attention as it wouldn't be necessary to have a range attendant to operate.