PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

Moby Clarke
12-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Found a great deal on an MK9 but, due to UPS's mistake, they actually lost it for a day, it just got here. I now am the proud owner of a Kahr. Got ammo, now just need to get to the range. :)

**Update with range report**

So I got to the ranage today. I fired just under 100 rounds and was a bit disappointed...at first. The gun shoots lower than aim point by about 4 inches at 21 feet. After a couple of slow fired rounds to set the front site, it shot very well. Point shooting was also very good, but at no distance beyond 15 feet. The recoil was minimal at best, and this with out the Pierce Finger extentions I ordered. Double taps were good, although I will need more practice to keep that second shot on target. I had no failures of any kind, using both Remington and Winchester Ammo. I also ran 2 mags of Hydro-Shok +p+ JHP through it with no problems. Other than the site issue, which is easily corrected, this is a fine little pistol that should fill my summer carry needs very well.

Bawanna
12-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Welcome Moby, good for you. Now get out and shoot it. I'll wait here for your range report. Take your time, no hurry.

Wonder if he's left yet?

DasFriek
12-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Probably fell into a snow bank and it may be spring when he thaws out before we get a range report. I know im ready for spring to be outside shooting again.
Grats on the MK, I love mine.

BobR
12-28-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm celebrating New Years Day by shooting - no reason for a blizzard to impact range time.

kpm9
12-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Anxious to see a range report. Congrats!

kahrseye
12-28-2010, 08:29 PM
There's nothing more frustrating than having to wait for a gun to be delivered. When i bought my MK9 I bought it on a Thursday, of course he had to wait for my money order which arrived on Monday. I figured it would get shipped on Tues....but I was wrong. On Thursday, I called his FFL and was told they never received my FFL's fax. I remedied that right quick and the gun was shipped on Friday....I FINALLY got it at my FFL on Tuesday.......11 days later!!!!!! Anyway, you're going to love it. Certainly a great little gun. Make sure you post a your first range report and welcome.

yqtszhj
12-28-2010, 08:32 PM
The price on mk9's aren't too bad when comparing them to the various pm9's. But they're not as light either. I've been thinking about one next time.

Moby Clarke
12-28-2010, 08:38 PM
My MK is a GA serial numbered pistol, which, according to the info over at Glock Talk, puts it being made some time in late 1997. You could not tell that by looking at it. The original owner said he put very few rounds through it and I believe him. I also got my second HK P7 and want to shoot that as well, so I hope to get to the range this coming week.

Thanks for the welcome also.

DasFriek
12-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Call me old fashioned, But there isn't nothing like steel and wood on a gun.
But polymer has its place for sure, I just wish steel and wood guns would cost less like the polymers do.

I always buy my guns as a base model when possible and add things as i go if i find i need them, Or heck just want them.
I know ive read and been told the PM9 and MK9 shoot almost exactly alike, Which says alot for the PM9 as i can say my MK shoots rather sweet for such a small gun.

Bawanna, Did you do your best to convince me i need that PM45 yet?

jocko
12-29-2010, 12:52 AM
having never shot an MK9, I would think it wold be a better feeling gun to shoot than the PM9 which I own and love to shoot. I know I shoot my K9 much better than my PM9 and I just would have figured all steel ever polymer would trump in accuracy.

Course I don't do either models any justice for hitting what I aim at. course I have an edge over Todd Jarrett. He hits the target every time, where as I don't hit it very often, I have a goal yet to complete. he has accomplished his, so he can only go downward!!!!!!!

DasFriek
12-29-2010, 07:01 AM
When talking to most people who owned both guns during my research before i bought my MK9 most said that there wasn't much difference in recoil between the two, Except above 100 rounds i may find the MK more comfortable.

Even tho i can only get 2 fingers on the grip as i wont use the extended mag at all so i don't get used to it as i would never carry it, But ive found the gun to be very manageable.
Even with a loose grip, Which i do when i get lazy so im working on that one.
And ive shot a few +P rounds which didn't seem to affect this little gun as much as it does my 1911's when i shoot +P out of them.

Plus i love cleaning the MK, As its amazing looking at in internally inspecting it for wear marks that seem to never appear. That says a lot for its fine quality build imo. Ive not tore the frame and fire group down for a full cleaning which i will do at 1k rounds, Its amazingly simple looking design which is so easy to clean with everything exposed, And even then the trigger parts don't get as dirty as you would expect after 200 rounds.

Bawanna
12-29-2010, 10:25 AM
They are definitely a machining thing of beauty inside. Like you I still find myself looking inside my K40 and the MK and K9 at work. Just pretty inside.

TD2K
12-29-2010, 10:03 PM
congrats!!! The MK9 is my favorite, because it's my first love. Enjoy!

Bawanna
12-29-2010, 11:04 PM
:( I thought I was your first love! Guess I can't possibly compete with stainless steel. But I'd clean your new 22 for ya (at least a couple times) and you wouldn't have to clean my fish (for the first couple trips).

I'm not doing well here am I?

TD2K
12-30-2010, 08:14 AM
actually, you aren't doing all that bad.....

Moby Clarke
01-03-2011, 08:28 PM
So I got to the ranage today. I fired just under 100 rounds and was a bit disappointed...at first. The gun shoots lower than aim point by about 4 inches at 21 feet. After a couple of slow fired rounds to set the front site, it shot very well. Point shooting was also very good, but at no distance beyond 15 feet.

The recoil was minimal at best, and this with out the Pierce Finger extentions I ordered. Double taps were good, although I will need more practice to keep that second shot on target. I had no failures of any kind, using both Remington and Winchester Ammo. I also ran 2 mags of Hydro-Shok +p+ JHP through it with no problems.

Other than the site issue, which is easily corrected, this is a fine little pistol that should fill my summer carry needs very well.

quikduk
01-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Moby,

You are correct that double taps or multiple taps are difficult due to the MK's diminutive size. I use the Pierce extensions and they make the MK feel like it fits my hand as it should without my pinky dangling in the air.

I haven't tried any +P+ in mine as those are difficult to get here and tend to create over pressure issues in the barrel. In fact, the SD here stopped using +P+ 124gr and 147gr due to that specific problem...although I have not been privy to any Kabooms with that ammo.

I have no issues at 5, 7 or 15 yards with paced firing but anything over 5 yards rapid fire requires intense concentration...and a bit of luck to keep groups very tight and where aimed. I have toyed with the idea of Magnaporting my MK in the hopes that multi-taps will be faster and right on target but I am not sure it wouldn't mess with either the value or warranty and I am also unsure whether the company's claims would be true re: increased control with minimal or no increase in noise or flash.

I am hoping someone else will guinea pig THEIR MK9 for this "test"...but no takers as of yet AFAIK.

jocko
01-12-2011, 02:40 PM
+P+ is a NO NO IN KAHRS

NO NO.

+P heep good sh-t but +P+ NO NO.

quikduk
01-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Jocko,

I wasn't going to try it as I got a funny "no-no" feeling in my gut when I considered it. For the same reason, I won't use them in my XD9sc as I prefer my body parts attached and functioning.

I don't have any +P yet as I primarily have WWB 115gr FMJ, Speer 115gr FMJ and carry Remington 115JHP as they are reliable and inexpensive. I would like to try some fancier ammo when I can find it though.

Moby Clarke
01-14-2011, 10:33 PM
The +p+ was the only HP ammo I have as that is what I carry in my HK P7. I guess I will have to get some other ammo for the MK9.