PDA

View Full Version : Warming up the Bridgeport...

jscottbaird
01-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Hello All...

I want to thank you all for letting me lurk around and get so much info from you all... Should be getting my CW45 this week.. My first Kahr...

I have an addiction to modding firearms and the CW45 will be my latest victim!

First things first... gotta have front cocking serrations...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_cakTqAwG044/TSE5CA8RtbI/AAAAAAAAAIc/7b49iEnF30M/s800/modcw45.jpg

Then some 20 lpi straight milling on the top for the slide to cut glare a bit...

Once I get it to the range and shoot the crap out of it, then I'll see if I can live with the length of pull... From what I see it won't be as hard as people make it out to be to shorten and move the starting position of the trigger... Just a little Mig welding and redrilling the connection points for the trigger bar... We will see...

Cheers,
Scott

Bawanna
01-02-2011, 09:00 PM
You just gotta love a man with a bridgeport that knows how to use it. I dig front cocking serrations and the top of the slide milling would be neat if it looks cool.

I'll put on my blindfold and ear muffs (like I need earmuffs?) on the trigger part. That's way too scarey for me to even think about. Like messing with mother nature.
But I wish you luck on the whole project just the same.

jreXD9
01-02-2011, 09:01 PM
love my cw45. I shoot it better than my other Kahrs....a PM9 and CW9. Very manageable recoil, too, especially when you shoot it after you've just shot 20 7mm mags thru your rifle, like I did last week. ha, it felt like a .22 after shooting that beast.
good luck with yours. throw at least a bicycle inner tube on the grip to save your hand. that's the only negative I can think of. the stock grips will bite.

jscottbaird
01-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys....

Thinking about some grip mods beyond an innertube...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_cakTqAwG044/TSFJ2Y6CcLI/AAAAAAAAAI4/QdJRP1ttSYU/s800/CWModBeavertail.jpg

Thinking about undercutting the swell, busting out the Devcon and adding a little beavertail to keep my super high grip in check... Perhaps bobbing the "mainspring" part a little and filling the little hole... Definitely going to go with fabbing up some of the flush fit mags I see here too...

As far as the trigger? I have always run very short light triggers and train hard with them... Like the Delta Guy said in Blackhawk Down... "This is my safety sir!"

That being said? I may leave it alone entirely, I need to go play with it a bit...

Here's a pic of my latest project... Springfield XDM40... TFO sights, Powder River Precision Match Trigger kit and a lot of stoning and hand fitting stock parts and tuning springs turned a sweet gun into a pocket rifle... Even die hard 1911 guys have nothing bad to say about it! Well, other than saying it isn't a 1911! :-)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_cakTqAwG044/SnJy9Ds1U2I/AAAAAAAAAF4/auJzsA8dWaI/s400/editXDM2.JPG

Here's an IWB Crossbreed Clone Holster I made for it...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_cakTqAwG044/TSFNnKN78MI/AAAAAAAAAJA/0kig9TYE-is/s400/2010-03-11%2011.19.42.jpg

I like Dudecraft... It's fun!!!

Cheers,
Scott

jscottbaird
01-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey Tuscon!

Beautiful work there! I'm by no means capable of that kind of stuff! But to clarify, I only use the front serrations to press check the weapon... I have become spoiled with the loaded chamber indicators on my XD's! I will end up doing that a lot with this being a carry gun, and I always do it with my reaction hand from under the weapon, so no worries there!

Kenjs2
01-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Hello All...

I want to thank you all for letting me lurk around and get so much info from you all... Should be getting my CW45 this week.. My first Kahr...

I have an addiction to modding firearms and the CW45 will be my latest victim!

First things first... gotta have front cocking serrations...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_cakTqAwG044/TSE5CA8RtbI/AAAAAAAAAIc/7b49iEnF30M/s800/modcw45.jpg

Then some 20 lpi straight milling on the top for the slide to cut glare a bit...

Once I get it to the range and shoot the crap out of it, then I'll see if I can live with the length of pull... From what I see it won't be as hard as people make it out to be to shorten and move the starting position of the trigger... Just a little Mig welding and redrilling the connection points for the trigger bar... We will see...

Cheers,
Scott
Does the 20 lpi straight milling on the top help a great deal with the glare? I was shooting my PM45 this afternoon with a bright sunny sky and I thought I would end up blind. I have a bridgeport so I might be able to do this.

Cartero391
01-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Hello Scott:
Have you considered adding the following to your CW45 project?
*Dawson Precision Front Night Site
*Bedair SS Steel Guide Rod (coming soon for the CW45)
*Robar NP3 finish on the slide, magazine and metal parts

Cartero391
CW9 X 2
PM9

jscottbaird
01-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Hello Scott:
Have you considered adding the following to your CW45 project?
*Dawson Precision Front Night Site
*Bedair SS Steel Guide Rod (coming soon for the CW45)
*Robar NP3 finish on the slide, magazine and metal parts

Cartero391
CW9 X 2
PM9

Will have to replace sights when I mill the slide anyways.... Dawson looks good... but x's big dots look better... Will have to see stock rod to see how its made first... Filled my.stock XDM with tungsten fishing wieghts...slick... Will definitely put wolf striker spring in, but would definitely pass on expensive finishes... Budget gun +cheap owner!

jocko
01-04-2011, 05:29 AM
JS scotbear. Your work is as good as what cylinder and slide charges an arm and a leg for.

That is just fantastic work and I would highly recommend it to shooters wanting to dress up their kahrs to. You need to post your services somewhere on this fourm if you so desire to do some of this for members. Cut us no slack, other than ol jocko, who is very losse anyhow!!

I have seen C & S work and yours is just as good. nice job indeed, certainly dressed up your cw to.. I hate the beavertail on any gun-period, certainly not on a kahr..

jscottbaird
01-04-2011, 05:49 AM
Thanks Jocko.... but let's see how good it looks when I get the CW45... that's all Photoshop just as a mock up for where I want the project to go... XDM pics are my work... Holster and all...

Regards,
Scott

jocko
01-04-2011, 06:21 AM
JS:Even die hard 1911 guys have nothing bad to say about it! Well, other than saying it isn't a 1911! :-)

a true die hard 1911 never has anything nice to say about any gun except a 1911.. U know better than that . Like glocksters, both great guys but in a league of their own.

jscottbaird
01-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Jocko...
I have always owned nice 1911s including a Detonics Combatmaster and Scoremaster... The XD impressed me from day one, then I went nuts with the XDM... It is absolutely the best shooting pistol I have ever had... My 1911, Sig and Glock fanboy friends ***** piss and moan about it til they shoot it.... Arguments end where the facts begin... And they all love it... Forum buttholes don't end up on the range with me so its a moot point.... A good gun speaks for itself....

Catshooter
01-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Nice looking work Scott.

Where do you get your Kydex? I need some for some holsters.

Cat