PDA

View Full Version : New PM9, first test

Cramalot
11-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Fired the first 100 rounds through the new PM9 a couple of days ago. Nice. Not a single glitch. Shot 25 rounds each of four brands, all 115 gr FMJ. They were Federal, Remington UMC, Monarch and WWB.
Cleaned the PM9 tonight and seemed to be pretty dirty for 100 rounds (was clean before the 100 rounds).
I had ran the four brands just to see if they all worked well. Now I wonder if one or more brands run dirtier than the others.
Also I had ran it a little wet. Is this a good idea?
Thanks

Dietrich
11-04-2009, 03:38 AM
PM9s running perfect out of the box seeme to becoming the norm.In regards to your ammo question,the only brand I haven`t used in 9mm was the Monarch. All the others weren`t excessively dirty.But then again,my definition of dirty may differ from yours.As far as running a little wet,no harm no foul,but all you really need is light lubrication.I`m glad your new handgun is working out to your satisfaction and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.:)

zena
11-04-2009, 03:48 AM
Sounds like your little gun is doing just what we expect it to...shoot and shoot and shoot with no complaints. Obviously, you can now go back and just shoot all one type, clean it, shoot another type, etc to see who the messy child is in your ammo stash. As far as lube, I like to run my guns wet. But it's just a personal preference.

jocko
11-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Fired the first 100 rounds through the new PM9 a couple of days ago. Nice. Not a single glitch. Shot 25 rounds each of four brands, all 115 gr FMJ. They were Federal, Remington UMC, Monarch and WWB.
Cleaned the PM9 tonight and seemed to be pretty dirty for 100 rounds (was clean before the 100 rounds).
I had ran the four brands just to see if they all worked well. Now I wonder if one or more brands run dirtier than the others.
Also I had ran it a little wet. Is this a good idea?
Thanks

running "wet" expect alittle more build up.. try it drier next time and see if that makes a difference. Some people after initial break in and finding a good defense round choose to run their guns alot drier as most any gun even dry after broken it will function flawless for a half dozen magazines (some alot more even). Just assures them more of ammo reliability due to no oils seeping down around the primers etc. Rounds sitting a magazine for while in a well lubricated gun are just asking for a no-boom thing. I just learned that a few days ago after leaving my defense rounds in my P380 for over 2 months and not emptying that magazine more often. I hardly ever carry the P380 anymore and just plum forgot about those rounds being in the magazine so long, none went boom NONE. Set them aside loaded up with pmc fmj and fired all 50 rounds perfectly, loaded up with fresh corbon 90 gr hp (same as would not fire) and all went boom as planned. LESSON LEARNED FOR SURE.

alnitak
11-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Wow, that must have really been "wet". I like to run my PM9 a little wetter than normal I suspect. I put a drop of oil on the barrel and use my finger to spread it completely; I put a drop or two into each side rail, a drop on the recoil rod, lightly coat the slide lock pin, and oil the other places on the slide indicated here:

Kahr Lube Diagram - Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398500)

After reassembling, I slingshot the slide 5-10 times and wipe off any excess oil that may leak out from the rails, trigger, etc. Using this method, I had never experienced any leakage to the ammo, grip, etc. from sitting for a couple of weeks in the nightstand drawer.

jocko
11-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Wow, that must have really been "wet". I like to run my PM9 a little wetter than normal I suspect. I put a drop of oil on the barrel and use my finger to spread it completely; I put a drop or two into each side rail, a drop on the recoil rod, lightly coat the slide lock pin, and oil the other places on the slide indicated here:

Kahr Lube Diagram - Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398500)

After reassembling, I slingshot the slide 5-10 times and wipe off any excess oil that may leak out from the rails, trigger, etc. Using this method, I had never experienced any leakage to the ammo, grip, etc. from sitting for a couple of weeks in the nightstand drawer.

I never run my guns wet (I thought) but use TW25 grease on the rails and a drop of oil on the cocking cam and that is it. But sitting a couple months certainly something happened. I don't think a couple of weeks should matter either but I am not gonna let defense rounds sit that long. I will recycle them more often down range to error on the side of caution.

depicts
11-07-2009, 08:47 PM
I shot my new PM9 today for the second time. I put about 120 rounds through it in a half hour. No problems. shot three weight bullets, 115, 124 and 147 as well as some +P+. I even intermixed the rounds and the gun ran smothly.

The +p+ rounds made my wrist lift and twist quite a bit. The recoil isn't bad, but you know you're shooting something with some zip.

I've been carrying this gun as a second gun for about two weeks now while I get used to it. Today at the range gave me more confidence in it. It's a great little gun.

jocko
11-08-2009, 02:22 PM
I shot my new PM9 today for the second time. I put about 120 rounds through it in a half hour. No problems. shot three weight bullets, 115, 124 and 147 as well as some +P+. I even intermixed the rounds and the gun ran smothly.

The +p+ rounds made my wrist lift and twist quite a bit. The recoil isn't bad, but you know you're shooting something with some zip.

I've been carrying this gun as a second gun for about two weeks now while I get used to it. Today at the range gave me more confidence in it. It's a great little gun.

how sometimes limpwristing happens. the shooter gets tired, twisting in one's hands can cause limping. Just be aware. +P+ personally no need to ever shoot it. +P is plenty and alot more good defense rounds offered in +p also. Still a nice report. nice gun to..

bladerunner747
11-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Question. I believe having read someplace that the PM9 was rated for +p, but that +P+ were not recommended.
Can not find where that is now. Is this true?

jocko
11-15-2009, 01:26 PM
why would u even want to shoot +P+?? Kahr does not recommend +P+