PDA

View Full Version : CW45 mag: 7rd, flush fit, slide lock!!

phred
01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I read this thread a while back http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3317 and decided to give it a try in my CW45. I found a deal on one of the forums for 4 of the metalform mags, and quickly bought them. Once they came in, I relived the top of one of the mags as described in the thread, and it locked in and fed just fine, but wouldn't lock the slide back on empty.

I tried to modify the follower to produce slide lock, but only succeeded in ruining a follower. I then tried several 1911 mags that I have, and found that ACT-MAG mags would lock in and produce slide lock. I looked all over on line, and they don't make an officer's size mag.

Then I tried putting the follower from the ACT-MAG mag into the metalform mag tube...NOT GOOD. the spring jammed between the mag body and the follower, and I had to pretty much detroy the mag to get the follower out.

Next I tried a Wilson Combat 47D mag. It locked in, and fed fine, and produced slide lock! I looked on line, and found the Wilson 47OXC mags, but I'm too cheap to pay $30 or more for a mag. I searched the forums that I frequent, and never could find any at a decent price. I gave up on the idea for a while.

Recently, I picked up the project again, and found that Midway USA sells the a kit with Wilson Combat followers and a new mag spring.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=171154

So I bought a few kits. Once they came in, I installed the new spring and follower into one of the metalform mags, and got slide lock while manually cycling the slide. Today, I tried the mag out at the range, with great success!! The first time I loaded up and shot the mag, the slide didn't lock back, but I think I was riding the slide lock lever with my thumb. The rest of the shooting session, I paid attention to keep my thumb away from the lever, and the slide locked back every time on empty!!

I want to test it out some more, but I'm really pretty excited about the idea of 7+1, and slide lock. :D

gb6491
01-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Nice report phred!
Please let us know how your follow on testing goes.
Regards,
Greg

Hemichip
01-26-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm a new CW45 owner and new to this forum, but I just picked up a Kimber stainless mag from a guy at Timber Ghost in Calhoun, Ga. He sold his gun and still had a officer length clip. He gave it to me free, but then I felt bad and had to buy a Ka-bar Laserlyte Pistol Bayonet from him.

https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?productNumber=9900&mode=category&categoryId=1,7,9&categoryName=Military/Tactical

He was trying to get rid of it for $26 which was $0.43 over his cost. Sorta bought it as a joke and just to have a conversation piece.

The mag locks in real nice, but I had to sand about a 1/16th off the top with some 220 grit. Stock Kimber spring and follower do NOT produce slide lock, but the factory Kahr follower and spring in the Kimber tube seems to work real well.

Now to test fire and order me a Wilson Combat spring and follower to try and get 7+1.

0311Hoosier
01-26-2011, 10:28 PM
You should definitely not have wasted your money on that knife... A box of ammo would have been a better payment. Just my .02

Hemichip
02-16-2011, 06:48 AM
I finally got around to shooting a few rounds with the Kimber mag and Kahr spring and follower. On the second round the mag dropped, but I caught it with my little finger. It stung a little and the little finger under the mag definately kept it from hitting the ground. The #3 round was not chambered.

I stopped there and condemned the Kimber mag in a Kahr idea for CCW. I'll stick with Kahr mags.

gb6491
02-16-2011, 08:00 AM
The mag locks in real nice, but I had to sand about a 1/16th off the top with some 220 grit. Stock Kimber spring and follower do NOT produce slide lock, but the factory Kahr follower and spring in the Kimber tube seems to work real well.

Now to test fire and order me a Wilson Combat spring and follower to try and get 7+1.

I finally got around to shooting a few rounds with the Kimber mag and Kahr spring and follower. On the second round the mag dropped, but I caught it with my little finger. It stung a little and the little finger under the mag definately kept it from hitting the ground. The #3 round was not chambered.

I stopped there and condemned the Kimber mag in a Kahr idea for CCW. I'll stick with Kahr mags.
Thanks for the follow up report.
When I modified my Officer's magazine I took enought off the top (I'm thinking more than a 1/16th) to ensure the slide could never contact it. I also needed to open up the magazine latch window as well; without doing this the latch would not seat fully in the magazine. I've been running the modified magazine in my CW45 for about half a year now (and many rounds down range) without any problems. If you ever decide to try the Kimber mag again, you might want to give the latch window a look.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2w7ebfa.jpg
Regards,
Greg