PDA

View Full Version : PM 40 problems clearing weapon

jfsjr66
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
I have a new Pm 40 that I had to send back to Kahr for FTF problems, now I have it back and I'm having trouble clearing the weapon after I take the mag out I pull the slide to the rear and it jams just prior to the round being ejected. and I have to pull the slide very hard to the rear a few times before it will eject the round. Any ideas on this problem thanks in advance.

Bawanna
01-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Just a guess here but that should get better with more use. It also is a good thing to pull the slide back briskly to get that round ejected.
I use the hand over the top method to rack the slide which gives me a bit more secure grip and little more strength. I wouldn't say I rip it back but I do it smartly and usually trap the round in my hand as it comes out.
My PM45 didn't want to let them out very easy right at first but it didn't take long and all was well.

jfsjr66
01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
I'll keep shooting it and see what happens, I noticed some rounds feed and eject better than others any ideas so far I have shot winchester in the white box, magnatech, winchester sxt. I will be trying federal ball ammo and hydro shok. Thanks for your help.

Bawanna
01-12-2011, 01:22 PM
I have no good explanation but I've never had any use for the magtech stuff myself. Many here use it with fine results and no issues. I just steer clear of it. The others you mention should not give any problems. I use mostly reloads for practice but have a big box of the Federal that work fine. I use Gold Dots for carry but have shot the Winchester SXT stuff trouble free also.

garyb
01-12-2011, 01:22 PM
I also have a PM40 but I cleaned and prepped mine first and racked it so many times I could not count, then recleaned and lubed prior to ever firing a round. Did you prep your PM40 as described on this forum? They are very tight and not very smooth when new. Never had the problems you described, but like Bawanna said, some things work themselves out during prep and break in period, so don't get too discouraged yet.

jocko
01-12-2011, 01:36 PM
I have a new Pm 40 that I had to send back to Kahr for FTF problems, now I have it back and I'm having trouble clearing the weapon after I take the mag out I pull the slide to the rear and it jams just prior to the round being ejected. and I have to pull the slide very hard to the rear a few times before it will eject the round. Any ideas on this problem thanks in advance.

alot of room in that area for a loaded round to eject, so one must rack that slide very fast to get it out or it might just hang up. I have no doubt that a few 100 rounds more down range and it will lossen up some and be OK. If it ejecting spent rounds OK, then I feel it is more of not racking the slide fast enough to get that round out. If it is going bang OK, then just shoot it some more and you will get the hang of what you have to do..check to be sure your recoil springis on correctly. open end towards the front of the slide.....

jfsjr66
01-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I did prep it like it said here, great info. I have put about 300 rounds through it, maybe I'm getting to impatient. I have carried a glock for a long time on duty and never had one malfunction, But I really like this Kahr, in fact I sold a glock 27 to get it. This forum is great, I really like it here you guys are very helpful and I appreciate it.

jocko
01-12-2011, 06:39 PM
u gotta know that glock was bigger and alot more room in the ejection area also. The PM40 will come around ok, give it and you some time to mate up right. Remember you and the gun have to mate up also to be reliable. This is IMO a hand cannon, get a good grip on it, not near the grip area your glock had so work on proper form to eliminate any chances of limping the gun. We want to hear how much u enjoy the gun as that tends to make us all happy campers..Give the gun the initial rounds needed to convinceyou it is good to go.

jfsjr66
01-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys I really appriciate all the help I'm sure thats all I need to do is comfortable with it and break it in a little more. I'll keep you updated.

mudfish
01-13-2011, 10:49 PM
I noticed the same thing if I short rack the slide. You gotta rack the slude back like you mean it especially if the magazine is removed. You can't really rack it slowly and expect it to eject properly.

100percent
01-14-2011, 09:36 PM
I hand load and if I don't load my ammo to the minimum length I have exactly your trouble.

Here is a photo with a std fmj inserted in the extractor (but above the ejector) with the slides locked back on a PM40 (bottom) and a Glock(top). I think it shows some difference in room available to eject a loaded round. Of course this doesnt come into play while firing. In reality the round would be being ejected before the slide is locked back but I just was not able to keep everything in place as it was flinging away.

http://www.veloliner.com/Kapm40/40kagl.jpg

smokey337
01-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks guys I really appriciate all the help I'm sure thats all I need to do is comfortable with it and break it in a little more. I'll keep you updated.

It took a thousand rounds and a really decent smith to get mine working right but it is now reliable and even though the recoil is very sharp, it is very accurate and very easy to carry. It now shoots Federal 165 HSTs flawlessly. I now trust my life to this pistol. I use Agrips and the Pearce grip extension to make the gun easier to shoot. Great gun!