PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safty

Cartero391
01-15-2011, 09:51 PM
A 71 year old woman was struck by gunfire last Thursday night after a pistol discharged when it was dropped by a patron at a restaurant in Kingwood, Houston police said. The gun owner was 66 and was moving his coat when his Derringer pistol fell to the floor and discharged! :mad:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/HPD-Woman-shot-after-gun-discharges-inside-Houston-restaurant--113543634.html

Cartero391
CW9 X 2
PM9

aray
01-15-2011, 11:04 PM
A Derringer. This obviously wasn't a Kahr, since due to the integrated safety they can't be discharged by dropping. Seriously, who builds a modern day gun that can be fired by dropping anyway?

The article said criminal charges were unlikely. I'm willing to bet a civil lawsuit will come however. And frankly it would be justified in my opinion. Just as I think we all have a 2A right, I also think we also all have a responsibility not to shoot our innocent neighbors in the tushkush.

medezyner
01-16-2011, 04:40 AM
I'm willing to bet a civil lawsuit will come however. And frankly it would be justified in my opinion. Just as I think we all have a 2A right, I also think we also all have a responsibility not to shoot our innocent neighbors in the tushkush.

I'm with ya on that aray - if you carry, you gotta take the safety issue seriously. He's going to be knee-deep in $#it on the civil side.
If you have a holster that isnt safe & secure, get rid of it. If you throw a gun in your pocket without a good holster, you need your head examined. Sometimes these wingnuts get what they deserve. Like the guy who sticks his gun in the waistband of his sweatpants and shoots his family jewels. Do you think he said to himself "maybe isnt a good idea?" :crazy: At one time or another, even the most safety conscience gunners have one of those moments that makes you say "what was I thinking?" You hear the stories from instructors with years of experience. None I would have called gross negligence, but it still happend because you let your guard down for whatever reason. I'm not judging, I've had an "oh $#it" moment myself. I gave myself a dope-slap and learned from the experience.

PaiN
01-16-2011, 05:00 AM
A Derringer. This obviously wasn't a Kahr, since due to the integrated safety they can't be discharged by dropping. Seriously, who builds a modern day gun that can be fired by dropping anyway?

I was thinking the same...but to the media, like a "38 special" a "Derringer" could be any little hand gun. Anyway, the Derringer in question was likely very old, being carried with the hammer cocked or somehow modified.

medezyner
01-16-2011, 05:04 AM
I was thinking the same...but to the media, like a "38 special" a "Derringer" could be any little hand gun. Anyway, the Derringer in question was likely very old or somehow modified.

Dont know about the new ones, but the old derringers would never make the top 100 safe firearms list.

earle8888
01-16-2011, 01:31 PM
YEP!!!! I shout it out loud a lot---2nd Amendment is a right, personal responsibility is also attached.

AUDEMUS JURA NOSTRA DEFENDERE

CORRUPTISSIMA RE PUBLICA PLURIMAE LEGES