PDA

View Full Version : Is the pm9 high maintence???

tconroy
01-19-2011, 06:52 AM
It takes me a long time to save up this kind of money and some of the issues I hear about on hear kinda scare me. And then you have to replace a couple of parts after 1200 rounds? After that , then what? Im really wanting one of these or a similar small 9 to carry. Please convince me this IS what I want. I have not shot one but thats no problem from what I do hear.:confused::confused:

MaxStravinsky
01-19-2011, 07:17 AM
I have 600-700 rounds through mine so far, bought it last summer. Have not had a single failure of any kind with it. And I find it really accurate. I do wish it was a little smaller. But it's the smallest 9mm we can have here in MA, and I'd rather have 9 than a smaller caliber.

jocko
01-19-2011, 07:52 AM
It takes me a long time to save up this kind of money and some of the issues I hear about on hear kinda scare me. And then you have to replace a couple of parts after 1200 rounds? After that , then what? Im really wanting one of these or a similar small 9 to carry. Please convince me this IS what I want. I have not shot one but thats no problem from what I do hear.:confused::confused:

after 1200 rounds are u talking about. If your read recoil springs that is always in the mind of the owner, some change at 1000, 2000, 5000, no set limiit. Most tend to go 2000 which for most owners is also a lifetime of shooting. Rohrbaugh R9 requires recoil springs to be changed ever 200 rounds. they tell u that in the manual. Rohrbaugh buyers know that going into the deal of $1200 per gun and waiting many months to even get one.
every gunI have owned had a parts manual--humm I wonder why that is,???Could it be that if a part breaks you simnply replace it and shoot some more?? My Audi is in the repair shop as I write this, humm????:yo:

Go to any specific gun forum and your gonna read of issues of that maker on that forum, Kahr is not the only one. I would not try to convince u of anythihg other than I will set you straight on what u stated. After that it is up to you. Kahrs are great gun and there are other great guns out there to but please don't kid yourself into thinking that ONLY kahrs can give issues.
This is the internet, so don't believe everything you read, do your own research , yes ask question but decipher for yourslef if the answer was a B. S. answer or one that makes good sense.

jocko
01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
I have 600-700 rounds through mine so far, bought it last summer. Have not had a single failure of any kind with it. And I find it really accurate. I do wish it was a little smaller. But it's the smallest 9mm we can have here in MA, and I'd rather have 9 than a smaller caliber.

as good as they come my friend, It will ride anywhere a P380 will ride, I own um both. When these 9's get to small they tend to be very uncomfortable, to shoot, to hold, so there fore that type of gun gets shot less than something like you PM9 would which is to me the right size for the caliber of gun it is. I would not own it, if it was that size in a 380.

Give kahr some credit for biting the bullet and making a kahr availalbe to you MA people and Komifornia people. You won't have any failures with that PM9 either if you take care of it. they are just that good of a gun and since Ihave been on this forum and read of many kahrs that have had to go bck, not once have I read where it took 2 months to get it back or for that matter even one moth. Kahrs service seems to be excellent...

copterdrvr
01-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Are you buying the pistol as a "range" gun or are you buying for personal defense?

It will handle many, many, many rounds, but it ain't a CZ75, Glock or SIG 226-all much larger, beefier pistols. I think Jocko's fired over 30,000 rounds through his PM9. He may have replaced a couple of parts but good grief, that's alot of shootin'!

I own my Kahrs for personal defense. I enjoy shooting them but I'll admit I don't treat them as range blasters, I shoot them enough to stay "current" with them but I don't run through 5 boxes of bullets when I take it to the range. I have other guns so I spread the wealth around between them, so to speak!

I've shot a bunch of rounds through my PM9 and even from the very first time I fired it, it has NEVER failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger. I don't shoot the heck out of it as it sits in my nightstand ready to go with its CT Laser.

OOPS, Jocko got two posts in before I finished mine!!!

joshh
01-19-2011, 08:11 AM
ive had my pm9 a year without any issues and probably have between 500-700 rounds thru it. stopped counting. i dont see any performance loss with this pistol, if anything its gotten smoother.
anyway, a complete spring kit from kahr is less than $60 and you can buy just the recoil springs from wolf for less than a box of walmart 9mm ammo($9).
i like this pistol a lot and would highly recommend it.

jocko
01-19-2011, 08:25 AM
I won't own a gun that I can't shoot it like I stole it. I have a g19 and I love it, probablyy 5000 rounds through it. It had to go back due to slide lock issues, no big deal, very very rare on a glock, it goes bang all the time. My PM9 goes bang all the time. if one would even lay a glock slide and a kahr slide side by side you will see that the kahr slide is almost a twin to the glock slide. One will see there is zero more beef in a glock slide than the ultra light kahr slides and kahrs slides are stainless where glocks are not but have a very durable finish on them. The lower portion of a kahr and a glock IMO the kahrs is just a more simple ass system. It slides on rails inbedded into the polymer. To this day I have never heard of any rai;s breaking loose from the inbedded process. I would have no fear shooting my PM9 along my g19 for longevity, I just feel in my own mind kahrs are as durablle as any gun out there. I have never heard of any gun being shot out, be it a glock, sig, cz or a kahr. but I have heard of all of those breaking out some parts at times and that is why they have a parts manual for. I try not to compare other guns to other guns, as kahrs are certainly for me not a target gun like I can shoot my G19 like but also my G19 just won't ride in my front pocket AT ALL where my trusty PM9 is there 24/7. That to me is what a true defense gun is all about. Don't really care what gun you shoot but if it is home in the drawer then IMO it is not a defense gun..

Kingcreek
01-19-2011, 08:32 AM
How are you going to use it? The PM series requires no more maintenence than any other handgun, and less than some. I bought a used PM9 that came with a spare new guide rod and spring but after 600 rounds, there is no indication that it needs to be replaced anytime soon.
I used to consider myself a high-volume shooter and I'm no stranger to maintenence . There was a time when I would shoot 8-10K rounds a year thru various firearms. I have a 1911 with over 40k through it and a couple others with pretty high mileage.

OldLincoln
01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
You may read about polish this or that, etc., but that is primarily from those like me who can't keep from molesting... err... fondling... err... admiring their Kahrs. If it were a "car" it would have trick this and that on it with shiny glow in the dark paint.

copterdrvr
01-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Well Jocko, it's a defense gun to me because it'll be the gun I'll grab if someone's breaking into my house tonight.

I live in southern Louisiana and except for winter I pretty much wear shorts and some kind of T shirt all the time. Now I carry my CW40 IWB, but for the rest of the year I carry my Keltec P3AT or my P380 in a Nemesis holster in a pocket. I'm 6 ft and about 170ish and for me, the PM9 is too big (thick) for comfortable pocket carry.

Once I get a CT laser for the P380 (like what's on my PM9 and P3AT), it'll be my primary "carry" piece. I have carried my Keltec P9F/CT laser on occasion in my pocket and I find it to be borderline too heavy for comfortable carry and it's a good bit thinner and it is lighter than the PM9.

deadhead1971
01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Mine is a range gun. And I carry it concealed. I went to the range Monday and fired 250 flawless rounds bringing my total to 2,895 rounds. I have had a small number of rounds getting stuck on the feed ramp (fail to feed) and had to bump the slide to chamber them. I have had maybe 5 or 6 total, and the last time I had this happen, it was with the 7 round magazine (not the 6 rd). Some claim the 7 rd mag has caused issues, but I only recently started to pay attention to which mags are in the gun when an issue happens. When I shoot, I alternate between 6 and the 7 rd mag. I carry the 7rd as a back-up mag in my back pocket.

I have had 2 warranty issues. And they are discussed here:

1) Flange issue http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=863&highlight=flange

2) Barrel flaking http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=232&highlight=flaking

Kahr replaced the flaking barrel and the flange no charge, no fuss, no questions asked. My new barrel has 2,470 rounds with no nickel flaking. I also have a spare flange recoil assembly as a spare just in case.

As far as maintenance, I am on my third outer recoil spring. I changed the last spring out at 1,400 rds after a fail to feed. I figured it was time. I have some minor peening (wear) on the inside of the slide near the opening where the barrel fits. It is very minor, and this happened within the first 200 to 300 rounds I think and has NOT gotten any worse. It just went to a point and stopped. Some minor wear is normal I think.

Also, I fully clean the gun after each session--including taking apart the magazines and cleaning and inside and follower.

I have the LG 437 laser on mine, and it's so much fun to shoot with it.

Dietrich
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I`ve got about 1700 flawless rounds through my PM9.I replaced the recoil spring at around 1200 rounds but only as preventive maintenance.I believe I could have waited another 1200 rounds but recoil springs are cheap.Jocko is right on the money when he says to do your own research and then make up your own mind.As for me,I can only tell you this,I trust my life and the life of she who is most dear to me with my PM9.It is dependable,accurate and easy to carry.There`s my two cents worth.:D

tconroy
01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
WOW quite a response!!! Thanks everyone for your opinions. It sounds like everyone will stand behind this little 9. I will be using it to carry concealed and also to take to the range to keep my Ruger sp 101 3" revolver company.The ruger is for the winter but just wanted a 9 for summer carry and cheaper ammo for the range. I have done a lot of research and seems to me this IS the way to go. Thanks again everyone for you input. Im hoping to own a Kahr soon. :cool:

yqtszhj
01-19-2011, 07:35 PM
You cant go wrong with a Kahr, IMO. I love mine.

Popeye
01-19-2011, 07:40 PM
I can honestly say that mine has been 100% reliable. It has never failed to load, fire, or eject anything I've ever fed it. I have about a 1,000 rounds through it. I CC it everyday. The PM9 is on my never to sell list.

kpm9
01-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Same here. It is the first gun I grab mostly. I've got 3500+ rds thru mine and not 1 malfunction, and it looks alsmot like new. many of the round are not so clean Monarch brass which is not very good quality ammo. It's eaten it all.

tconroy
01-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Kahr it is!!! I can always make the money back this spring with side jobs:D. Now to pick out a nice IWB holster for CC:cool: Where I work I get plenty of gift cards for going above and beyond for customers and have racked up 60 bucks worth this month so far. All I do is walk upstairs and trade them in for ammo!

Verndog
01-21-2011, 05:11 PM

I'm consideing the PM9 as well. Didn't know about the quick life on the recoil springs, and 1200 is about 5000+ less then the SR series Rugers need if that.
My question is all the FTF issues I've read about. There seems to be issue with the steep feed ramp and rough finish that is causing FTF and nose dive for many people. Most people say they send it in and Kahr polishes the ramp and it works great...BUT. Since this is a $620.00 pocket pistol with the same issue for years now why dont they just polish the ramp from the get go?? Talked to my local dealer and he said they sent so many back that he quit carrying them. This does not instill the consumer confidence I was hoping for...still thinking though. I will say this is just what I'm looking for in size to conceal for SD in lighter cloths...so I want to like it...just not there yet. :confused:

jackblack73
01-21-2011, 05:21 PM
The feed ramp on mine looked polished from the factory and felt very smooth. So I didn't bother polishing it. I only have a couple hundred rounds through it, but so far it's 100% reliable.

AFVet
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Give kahr some credit for biting the bullet and making a kahr availalbe to you MA people and Komifornia people.

Whole heartedly agree! A lot of major manufacturers completely ignore the MA market. I'm personally hoping Kahr will introduce a few more PM models for us because I'll be buying.

Verndog
01-22-2011, 07:36 PM
I was at the indoor range today and asked to rent the PM9 to see how I liked it. I was told THEY TOO quit carrying the PM9 because there were a couple of frame blow ups! Wow...how big of a problem is that? Never heard of that one till now. This is the second local retailer that no longer carry's the gun becasue of problems. For the price of this gun compared to my SR9c (that is flawless and 100% at 1175 rounds), and the QC and customer service comments...I'll be looking somewhere else for a smaller 9mm...strike 3 Kahr is out. :(

AFVet
01-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Took my PM9 to the range today. 50 rounds down the pipe with no issues at all. Would have done more but wanted to spend some quality time with the 1911s too. :)

MikeyKahr
01-22-2011, 11:57 PM
I was at the indoor range today and asked to rent the PM9 to see how I liked it. I was told THEY TOO quit carrying the PM9 because there were a couple of frame blow ups! Wow...how big of a problem is that? Never heard of that one till now. This is the second local retailer that no longer carry's the gun becasue of problems. For the price of this gun compared to my SR9c (that is flawless and 100% at 1175 rounds), and the QC and customer service comments...I'll be looking somewhere else for a smaller 9mm...strike 3 Kahr is out. :(

Pictures or it isn't true!! ;) Hope you don't take offense, but I find it tough to believe the horror stories one reads on here sometimes. I wish good luck to you with the SR9c, I'm good with my PM9 and thankful I decided to pass on the SR9c. And I'm looking forward to my next Kahr purchase.

jocko
01-23-2011, 04:58 AM

only problem with that statement is if one is dumb enough to believe it...

U probably best look some where else, if that is hwat you believe, for indeed it is pure B.S. Seen glock frame blown in half on webb sites, but they never tell you it was a totally bad round that did it. it's always the guns fault.

jocko
01-23-2011, 05:04 AM

is ur SR9 now that is flawless one you bought after Rugers total recall on the SR9 or was it one that you sent back. Tell that kahr story somewhere else as this poster ain't buying it but I do hope you enjoy now the newlly refined after recall SR9.

This B. Sh -t pops up about once a year it seems, I call these people trolls but maybe they are just passing on b. s. info, but this ol fella ain't buying it...

Kahrs don't go KABOOM. Ammo goes KABOOM..

tconroy
01-23-2011, 06:59 AM
is ur SR9 now that is flawless one you bought after Rugers total recall on the SR9 or was it one that you sent back. Tell that kahr story somewhere else as this poster ain't buying it but I do hope you enjoy now the newlly refined after recall SR9.

This B. Sh -t pops up about once a year it seems, I call these people trolls but maybe they are just passing on b. s. info, but this ol fella ain't buying it...

Dont believe anything you hear and only half of what you see!! Without pic and documented proof i dont believe anything!! Was the gun ever cleaned? Did it jam and they never check the barrel for obstruction??? Jocko, Im still going to get a pm9 for my CCW and know from the majority of the people on here that it WILL be flawless. If this guy wants to sell it I might take it off his hands!!:D Verndog, shoot me a price if you are skeptical about keeping it, I wouldn't want it to blow up in your hands.

Verndog
01-23-2011, 10:25 AM

My intent in joining here was to learn more about the PM9 and buy if I felt it was worthy of the price their asking. I passed along the info I was told, and learned from a quick search when people called BS...period, end of agenda.

Go ahead and rip the SR9 or Ruger or whatever makes you feel better, but I'll say this. The first SR9s did have a recall, and Ruger took care of the early design problems (trigger) right away and fixed the guns on their dime. CS was excellent. The gun I bought is the SR9c (compact), had no recalls and was actually handgun of the year. I research before buying, much can be said about learning from others.
http://www.downrange.tv/blog/ruger%C2%AE-sr9c%E2%84%A2-named-2010-%E2%80%9Chandgun-of-the-year%E2%80%9D/5112/

And what I read here and other sites is this (flag 1 on this gun), there has been FTF issues going on for YEARS and it's still happening, people unhappy with CS, and Karh still not polishing their steep feed ramps out of the factory (beginning to hear maybe they are now but nobody really knows), all this on a $650.00 gun. Huge flag IMO.

Dietrich
01-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Congratulations on your new handgun Vern.Hope you have many years of enjoyment with it and never have to use it against a BG.

jocko
01-23-2011, 10:52 AM
yup, you should stick with your SR9c, great gun. I question why your even over here.other than for me just trolling around. You don't want to learn more about the PM9, you want to bring forth what you have read other places by god knows who.

Your gonna find issues with any make of guns, prove me wrong please and I will buy that gun . Your always gonna read of issues from posters over no issues from posters and 95% of gun owners don't even know these forums even exist or could care less. If you buy a gun and it works like you feel it should why does one even want to get in a forum and brag about it, that is what they are supposed to do. When one gets a lemon or what ever, you gonna hear about it on ever damn gun forum they can get on. I guess it makes them feel important or something, Hell I never could figure that out, but you wll read it on every gun forum that relates to that company brand, be it a glock, kahr, sig, kimber, sig, ruger. OH my did I just mention a bunch of great name guns that all have given issues??. One can google up glocks archives and see the many many number of upgrades they have made to thier guns over the years. Humm why is that???? Could it be because they found something that could give issues or has given issues and a change is needed.I never ripped the Ruger SR9, my point was and u missed it (ntentionally) was that Ruger had a total recall of this gun to make it right, now this was a black eye for Ruger at the tme but shooters got over it for Ruger did make the fix .

Personally If iI was you I would run as fast as I can from these damn kahrs, Don't get close to them, they are truly what you read so much about, Please don't take the words of the owners on this forum who swear by them and have thousands of rounds out of them. Hell were all liars here you know.

Yes I now your bought the SR9c compact which came after the SR9 recalls, nice gun by the way, Handgun of the year, wow thats even better, You should have bougth two of them..

Stupid is as stupid does: Forrest gump.

Damn, I already seen some horror photos of one of the new Kimber SOLO's showing jams and the fella bashed the hell out of it and took it back to Cabelas where he bought it and exchanged it for a g-d damn kahr. Now what in the hell is the matter with this guy exchanging a top quality top premium kimber for a POS kahr. .

but we will see that kimber bashing and photos until hell freezes over and we will never know why or what even caused his issues, or if possable even if
this was made up to bash kimber. This is the internet, travel at your own risk.

I seem to remember about 6+ years ago a kel teck tech person at the factory telling me that over 50% of all kel tecs returned for service THAT THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITHTHE GUNS. It was shooter error. Now they puyt out some real lemons back then also, I know I owned 3 of them but ask any kt owner today what he thinks of his kt product and most all wills ay it is a fine gun for the money..

tconroy
01-23-2011, 10:54 AM
The SR9C is an awsome gun and it is my choice if I did not want to purchase the pm9. I own rugers now and have always owned them. It is the only brand I would by till now because I wanted something smaller to carry but larger than the LCP 380. Ruger has just came out with the LC9 which will be out in Feb. I have not purchased the PM9 yet or shot one but do want to purchase it and let Ruger work the bugs out of the LC9 since it is brand new. The SR9C is excellent but for me I wanted a bug and summer carry. Since I carry the Ruger sp 101 3 1/16" now I wanted something to carry on my weak side or in the pocket till spring then switch to just the 9. All makers have problems so Im going to keep doing my research and talk to all the gun stores I can till i feel confident to purchase. the place i work for tell me not to purchase a taurus because they get 1 out of 20 returned but some swear by them. Take a chance and hope you get a good one I guess.

jocko
01-23-2011, 11:06 AM
No one is bashing the Ruger SR9 or SR9c NOW. Itis a damn good gun TODAY. But if they think either of these two guns today will not have FTF or FTE iussues from time to time in a particular gun, then they are smoking some fine stuff for sure.

I won't mention names here for he did man up to it also. But I recently helped a kahr owner who came on this forum very unhappy with his kahr. In private PM's to him and back and forth we traced it down to his reloads which he now acknowledges was the entire issue and has made the appropriate changes to his dies etc. But at first if was a bad kahr and there was never a mention of reloads even. I have said this to many times on this forum, but one has to eliminate the possables when he is having issues and when he has eliminated all the possables of what could be cauisng his issue, and it has not cured the issue, then it is time fo rthe gun to go back tothe factory to be made right. That is what warranty's are for to. One does read of horrow stories of guns going back to certain makers and it takng months to get back.. This is just not true with kahrs service. If I have read of one person sending his kahr back and it taking more than a month, I have forgotten it, most are back within 2 weeks and even less.

I sent my 3 kel tecs back to many times to count and I could always depend on it takeing 4 to 8 weeks to get it back. It never failed, Most of the time it was 6-8 weeks..

Verndog
01-23-2011, 11:15 AM
yup, you should stick with your SR9c, great gun. I question why your even over here.other than for me just trolling around. You don't want to learn more about the PM9, you want to bring forth what you have read other places by god knows who....

I plan to stick with my SR9c as a primary, but wanted a sub 9 for times I need to go lite, and for the wife if she needs to travel very far. You sir are pretty thick...I stated my intent. I was brought here from readings on people that loved the PM9, joined to learn more and ask (before I found out this crap), wanted to look and shoot one, then stated why that was not possible and passed on what I found.

Yes, much of what you read on the internet is BS, but when gun stores who make a living on happy customers give you eye to eye info, you should take that far more seriously, well maybe not you but me lets say.

tconroy
01-23-2011, 11:26 AM
I plan to stick with my SR9c as a primary, but wanted a sub 9 for times I need to go lite, and for the wife if she needs to travel very far. You sir are pretty thick...I stated my intent. I was brought here from readings on people that loved the PM9, joined to learn more and ask (before I found out this crap), wanted to look and shoot one, then stated why that was not possible and passed on what I found.

Yes, much of what you read on the internet is BS, but when gun stores who make a living on happy customers give you eye to eye info, you should take that far more seriously, well maybe not you but me lets say.
Verndog, I'm also doing what you are, looking for a lighter gun to carry and dependable. The thing I would like to know is what year was the faulty gun made? How many time has it been shot and did they do the proper maintenance to keep it going strong? This is a rental gun you were talking about. I work on boats and wish i had a dollar for evertime i heard someone say that mercury engines suck becasue it quit running right. Did you winterize it properly? Add stabil to your fuel and fog the engine before you put it away for the winter? the answer i get is , I keep it in the garage, it should be fine. WRONG!!!! What Im trying to so is shooting ranges that rent guns usually dont take very good care of them and they get abused.

jocko
01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
verndog, you should not buy a khar, these gun places are dead right, this forum is just a bunch of us kahr fanblios who don't know better. Nice comment calling me thick, probably the best thing I have been called in ages I do thank you.

Take their advice and also from me, Don't buy a kahr..

Verndog
01-23-2011, 11:49 AM
...The thing I would like to know is what year was the faulty gun made? How many time has it been shot and did they do the proper maintenance to keep it going strong?...

I was told "frame blow outs or ups?", (plural), he said the problem was "more so on 40's" but also at least 1 9mm. So it was not some isolated single incident. I didn't press for details. I understand that if this is caused only from Kaboom's that it's not as bad is it sounds...possibly. But since most guns don't blow a panel into your hand when a kaboom happens, and the range only lets you shoot rentals with factory ammo...think again. If nothing else, it will scare the crap out of customers. Also after the rep told me this I said wow....I'm a bit surprised... he followed with ya I know "my brother has one and loves it".

tconroy
01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
verndog, you should not buy a khar, these gun places are dead right, this forum is just a bunch of us kahr fanblios who don't know better. Nice comment calling me thick, probably the best thing I have been called in ages I do thank you.

Take their advice and also from me, Don't buy a kahr..
LOL!!! Hey Jocko, we could be a team! Everybody calls me thin!!

jocko
01-23-2011, 11:55 AM
ever hear of a squibb load,with factory ammo???

tconroy
01-23-2011, 12:01 PM
My nephew owns his own gun store with 2 gunsmiths there. He showed me a ruger blackhawk 44 mag that a bullet got lodged in so the guy took another shot and goose egged the barrel big time. It was factory ammo he was shooting. He said the shoot sounded "soft" so he just pulled the trigger again without checking the barrel for obstruction. It doesn't take much to cause a bullet to lodge in the barrel.:eek:

Bawanna
01-23-2011, 12:02 PM
A month ago I shot a high end double charge of W231 in my PM45. While I thought I was confused and was shooting my 629 it didn't blowup! My son who had his back turned looked over his shoulder at the kaboom to find me looking to see if my hand was intact and then checking to see what was left of the gun. It and my hand were fine.
I only mention this to say the gun ain't fragile.

That being said we gotta play nice here boys. We start getting negative and personal, the bathtub gets drained when the plug gets pulled.

jocko
01-23-2011, 12:09 PM
My nephew owns his own gun store with 2 gunsmiths there. He showed me a ruger blackhawk 44 mag that a bullet got lodged in so the guy took another shot and goose egged the barrel big time. It was factory ammo he was shooting. He said the shoot sounded "soft" so he just pulled the trigger again without checking the barrel for obstruction. It doesn't take much to cause a bullet to lodge in the barrel.:eek:

did it blow the grips off the gun. I would assume that would be a safety thing in the gun with t:banplease::banplease:he grips going south after a kaboom???

Verndog
01-23-2011, 12:18 PM
That being said we gotta play nice here boys. We start getting negative and personal, the bathtub gets drained when the plug gets pulled.

Hey Bawa, your a moderator here and live in the same area as me, and know of Marksman. How bout you give them a call (busy weekends but weekdays you may get better details), and get to the bottom of what I was told, some people here likely wont believe me anyway. Phone: (253) 535-4363 Ext. 9 for Store/Price Quotes

Tell them your view, and what most others experaince has been and see how valid their decision was. I didn't press for details, it was real busy as weekends always are there. If this was up to me, and they had the gun and I liked it, I'd prob. be looking for a good price on one, it's near exactly what I'm looking for.
Ya Ruger has the LC9 coming out that is 1/2 x 1/2 larger and questionable pocket carry, and the Sig P290 is coming but 20oz is only 4 less then my Sr9c. So PM9 is not a dead deal, just fizzling like hell right now....I suppose thats why I'm still here. :confused:

Bawanna
01-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey Bawa, your a moderator here and live in the same area as me, and know of Marksman. How bout you give them a call (busy weekends but weekdays you may get better details), and get to the bottom of what I was told, some people here likely wont believe me anyway. Phone: (253) 535-4363 Ext. 9 for Store/Price Quotes

Tell them your view, and what most others experaince has been and see how valid their decision was. I didn't press for details, it was real busy as weekends always are there. If this was up to me, and they had the gun and I liked it, I'd prob. be looking for a good price on one, it's near exactly what I'm looking for.
Ya Ruger has the LC9 coming out that is 1/2 x 1/2 larger and questionable pocket carry, and the Sig P290 is coming but 20oz is only 4 less then my Sr9c. So PM9 is not a dead deal, just fizzling like hell right now....I suppose thats why I'm still here. :confused:

I would do just that if only because you asked me too but among my multitude of shortfalls I can't hear on a telephone.
I will say this since you asked me to share with them my view. I'm an armorer for a police dept and I've purchased 4 PM9's for officers for off duty and back up guns. I absolutely would not do this if there was a .5% chance it couldn't be a reliable gun that could be depended on. That's not to say I couldn't get one that needs a little help, that happens. None of these needed anything. None of them did the prep or anything. Out of the box wiped off the excess and they shot em.
I also worked in a gun shop for a short time on a on the job training deal when they were retraining me to do something besides construction. I can tell you first hand that just because a guy is behind a gun counter doesn't make him an expert on any specific gun.
I over heard alot of BS being spread in the salesmans effort to look intelligent. There are too many guns out there for any one man to know about all of them. They may know of the reputation but lots to remember.

This isn't to say the guy you talked to didn't know what he was saying. As has been mentioned in his experiences maybe hes seen some bad ones, or they were abused and not maintained. Lots of factors to consider.

I guess the bottom line is I'd buy one without reservation, and I recommended them to my guys, no higher endorsement than telling my guys about them. I live and work so they go home at end of shift without fail.

Verndog
01-23-2011, 12:49 PM
... There are too many guns out there for any one man to know about all of them. They may know of the reputation but lots to remember.....I guess the bottom line is I'd buy one without reservation, and I recommended them to my guys, no higher endorsement than telling my guys about them. I live and work so they go home at end of shift without fail.

Cool, great post and thank you for your service! And yes another reason I'm still here is I figured the real "experts" could shed some light on what was said. Maybe another "respected" member wants to call and put to rest the allegation.

Thank for being the voice of reason. Stay safe out there! :)

jocko
01-23-2011, 12:57 PM
I have no intentions of doing so but thank u for the "respected member" compliment. I 'm not doubting what they said, I just could care less what they said..., but you come on here not wanting to hear what owners and shooters here are saying, U just keep going back to these guys who evidently you feel know what they are talking about . I cannot dispute what they say, having not seen the guns involved either leaves alot to be desired and thought about. I don't consider myself an expert on guns or kahrs but I do feel like I know kahrs very well and like Bawanna I would certainly not be here posting like there is no tomorrow and cheerleading for kahrs if I myself did not carry one and shot it like I stole it. there are lots of other good guns out there and every one of those "lots of other good guns" can and will give issues at times. Just the nature of the beast.
My goodness I bet Buds sells thousands of kahrs...

I personally have spent to much time debating you over this, you seem to want to argue and maybe do I but I do feel I can back up what I am saying with some facts and certainly from fellow members here who are also refuting what your posting, makes me feel like I am not alone in my thoughts and analysis. If that side panel worries the pi-s out of you, buy the steel version kahr, no side panels there, as the parts go in the skeleton framework when the grips are off. That will surely put your mind at ease. or better yet that Ruger SR9c is just one heh of a great gun stick with it.

I will not comment about your posts anymore, so you can post till hell freezes over as for me it is just not worth the effort. have a good day and damn I have been on here for a long time and Bawanna has never called me a respected member. Course I don't have a picutre of Miss Karh hanging on my wall either signed and kissed by her either..

jackblack73
01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I was told "frame blow outs or ups?", (plural), he said the problem was "more so on 40's" but also at least 1 9mm. So it was not some isolated single incident. I didn't press for details. I understand that if this is caused only from Kaboom's that it's not as bad is it sounds...possibly. But since most guns don't blow a panel into your hand when a kaboom happens, and the range only lets you shoot rentals with factory ammo...think again. If nothing else, it will scare the crap out of customers. Also after the rep told me this I said wow....I'm a bit surprised... he followed with ya I know "my brother has one and loves it".

I rented a PM9 before buying mine. After I ran out of the box of 50 I bought from the shop, guess what? I shot a couple of mags of ammo I brought. In my case, it was also factory ammo. But who knows what others use. Moreover, even factory ammo can have problems. There's a lower chance of it happening compared to reloads, but it happens.

The fact of the matter is that kabooms are caused by AMMO. Period.

The first link you posted was someone using reloads. I didn't look at the others you posted. I wouldn't be surprised if I did more research about the PM9 than you before purchasing mine. Stories about PM9s blowing up are few and far between. On a scale of 1 to 10, my concern about kabooms is zero point zero.

jackblack73
01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
By the way, I thought the general rule was never listen to anything a gun store salesman, or car salesman, etc. has to say. I usually just nod my head and ignore them, knowing that I did more research and know more about the product by them.

I should also mention, I was able to get my PM9 for $550. If you know how to shop, deals are out there on the internet. Also, my feed ramp was definitely polished. You can clearly see how the lower portion is shiny, but the upper portion was left untouched and is matte.

Bawanna
01-23-2011, 01:49 PM
I think this ones ran it's course. If I'm wrong feel free to start over again in another thread.