PDA

View Full Version : Flitz on Kahr Slide?

CPO15
01-22-2011, 02:22 AM
Searched this forum and found posts on polishing interior parts, and my Bing searches mostly provided links on pistols from Poland, so I'm asking if anyone has any experience with using Flitz (or any other polish) on Kahr's matte stainless slide? I'm not looking for a mirror or chrome-like effect, just general cleaning/dress-up. Thanks.

robmcd
01-22-2011, 08:22 AM
I have used Flitz to polish the exterior of stainless revolvers. Mothers mag wheel polish also works. Both are non-abrasive. Flitz leaves a wax-like coating which can be a little slick for grasping the slide, but it can be removed with a degreaser such as Remington action cleaner.

I generally polish interior parts with jewelers rouge and a buffing wheel. Google "25 cent trigger job" to see how it's done on a Glock.

Bawanna
01-22-2011, 10:16 AM
I've used it on both my K40 and PM45. Its not terribly aggresive but does polish. I started out looking for the mirror finish like Copper&Blacks but stopped far short of that. My PM45 is pretty shiney no mirror but real shiney. I used alot more than Flitz. I love the stuff for lots of uses.
I don't think you'll do your gun any harm, you might have to do the whole slide so you don't end up with a spot but thats not a big deal either.

jocko
01-22-2011, 10:23 AM
these guy s are all dead right. Flitz will harm nadda, zero, nothing. You can stop at any low luster, medium luster, high gloss, mirron finish you desire. It is great stuff. I use it alot with my trusty dremel and polisihing cotton cone and alittle bit of flitz..

JD Cowles
04-15-2011, 01:16 PM
could i use flitz to polish my PM9's feed ramp? had a bunch of fail to feeds last night :mad: after 850 round with no probs. i really did feel off last night, limpwristy and bad grip and not able to hit damn thing so i reckon it was all user error. i followed your tutorial on prep except for the feed ramp polish. would the rouge that comes with the dremel be OK too?

Bawanna
04-15-2011, 01:37 PM
could i use flitz to polish my PM9's feed ramp? had a bunch of fail to feeds last night :mad: after 850 round with no probs. i really did feel off last night, limpwristy and bad grip and not able to hit damn thing so i reckon it was all user error. i followed your tutorial on prep except for the feed ramp polish. would the rouge that comes with the dremel be OK too?

That rouge should work just fine. I think that's what I used. Some fine 600 or finer paper on a dowel works good too.

It probably won't take much. Most of the newer Kahrs I've seen were pretty polished from the get go. I've used the Flitz with a polishing wheel too. Toothpaste (not the gel kind) will work in a pinch.

I wonder if a Kahr shudders in fear at the sound of a dremel tool like I do at the dentist when he fires up the drill. That's the sound of pure terror right there.

JD Cowles
04-15-2011, 02:18 PM
many thanks, love this forum. i have a pile of wet/dry sandpaper i use to sharpen plane blades and chisels (up to some ungodly grit) and will try that first. i tend to lean towards hamfistedness when it comes to power tools so may lay off the dremel for now.

MW surveyor
04-15-2011, 03:11 PM
One thing to remember - DREMEL IS THE GUNSMITH'S FRIEND!

I'd go real light with the wet/dry paper, rolled up without a backer to keep it flexible if you are going to polish the feed ramp. Back in my way younger days, I worked with a silversmith and had to do a bunch of polishing with industrial sized buffers. If you scratch up the ramp going heavy, it will take you a real long time to get the scratches out. You might even want to use just a bit of oil to keep the paper wet. I'd rather start too fine a grade and polish out a bit longer than go to heavey and take a real long time to get the scratches out.

Just my $0.02. Of course YMMV.

OldLincoln
04-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Should you decide to use the rouge that came with the Dremmel, go lightly and look often. The ramp is nickle plated and doesn't take much to shine it. I hit it just a touch with rouge then went to some Fitz I borrowed, then Mothers which I like a lot.

After it has a good shine and it's really smooth, I rub a tiny dad of TW25b into the pores of the ramp. It may be my imagination, but the TW states it goes into the microscopic pores of metal so I rub it in with a lot of pressure. I can't tell if it helps much but I can say it doesn't hurt.

JD Cowles
04-18-2011, 10:31 AM
i chickened out and just cleaned the sh!t outta it. took my bronze brush to it and some gunzilla and it's shining like the sun...

OldLincoln
04-18-2011, 10:53 AM
That'll do 'er!

JD Cowles
04-18-2011, 10:56 AM
to be honest, i was worried about using the brush even but used a light hand for sure. i still may give the dremel a try as i can't resist farting around with stuff :D

Bawanna
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
You really can't hurt anything with a buffer wheel on a dremel. You may get to a point where you have to keep going to make it all look uniformly shiney but you can't hurt anything.

Go forth and dremel! Shiney is good.

Bawanna
04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3290&highlight=copper+black

Just ask Copper & Black. The man knows shiney!

OldLincoln
04-18-2011, 01:16 PM
But you do need to be consistent. I remember as a kid waxing a spot on my car where I took off some road tar. I looked so shiny I had to wax the spot nect to it bit that made it stand out even more. I think that's why they came up with that tooled look. Like, screw it up all over and it's cool.

jocko
04-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Should you decide to use the rouge that came with the Dremmel, go lightly and look often. The ramp is nickle plated and doesn't take much to shine it. I hit it just a touch with rouge then went to some Fitz I borrowed, then Mothers which I like a lot.

After it has a good shine and it's really smooth, I rub a tiny dad of TW25b into the pores of the ramp. It may be my imagination, but the TW states it goes into the microscopic pores of metal so I rub it in with a lot of pressure. I can't tell if it helps much but I can say it doesn't hurt.

tw25 likewise. no harm no foul. :popcorn:

CJB
04-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Flitz is interesting stuff. If you examine a smear of it under a microscope, it looks like sharp boulders. A little use, then look at a smear of the used stuff... and it appears like little round balls. IOW, its a self disintegrating media, in substrate not too dissimilar to car wax (the substrate that is). So it abrades, then turns itself into a finer compound, to bring higher luster and even mirror bright surfaces.

I love the stuff, and get some when ever I can find it cheap.

dusty78
04-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Are you supposed to polish nickel plating? Aren't all Kahr barrels nickel played these days. I always thought the polishing is supposed to happen before the nickel is applied.

jocko
04-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Are you supposed to polish nickel plating? Aren't all Kahr barrels nickel played these days. I always thought the polishing is supposed to happen before the nickel is applied.

look the inside of your barrel is very highly polised/shinny due to the nickel plating, The outside of the barrel is also nickel plated but for some reason kahrs has a dull ass finish over the outside of the barrel, that will in time rubb off where metal to metal contact is. some get upset over that and think something is wrong. So for me ayhow I just polish the total outside of my kahrs barrels and barrel hood to shine like a diamond in a goats ass, and then I never see these wear marks, for that topcoat is now gone...