PDA

View Full Version : Spring & Guide Rod (new user)

9mmFL
01-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Well here I go again.... After cleaning and lubing the gun I still cannot put it down but here is the question. The spring and guide rod are installed correctly but the spring seems to be quite loud when racking the slide slowly, it almost sounds as if it is grinding in there. The guide rod does have the wear marks from the spring but I just want to make sure that the noise is normal. I own a Beretta Px4 and that is silent when pulling back the slide slowly. I know its not the end of the world and I can live with it but I just want to ensure that is considered "normal". I am just an enthusiast not an expert so please enlighten me.... lol
:cheer2:

9mmFL
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
I mean in a quiet room if you pull the slide back to take out the slide locking pin, It just doesn't sound smooth but from your response we are hearing the same noise I am sure. The gun shoots great I bought 300 FMJ and 50 JHPs to shoot through on the first day but the range I went to check out was extremely disappointing and I decided to leave after 100 rounds. (rude employees, dirty, too hot and the people there were.... never mind) So I am going to finish the "break-in" Monday at another range. I am new to FL and haven't found an outdoor range yet... So after I blow through another 200 rounds or so I am hoping it will loosen up a little and maybe the "squeeky-ness" of it will dwindle some.

jocko
01-22-2011, 04:05 PM
OK, u have not shot the gun yet, quite worrying about this spring stuff noise, If you have it all back right then it is OK. give the gun some rounds to get smoothed out. I honestly can't say if my spring is noisy or not, I have never paid any attention to it either. My concern was will the damn gun go bang every time and my POS PM9 has done that for over 30,000 rounds, so if the spring was noisey from the git go. HOORAH, I could really give a crapola. Also u gotta understand that when that gun goes bang that slide is gonna recoil with alot of speed and force, so you not gonna hear that spring. What your doing is hand racking it and that is probably 50X slower than when the gun does its "bang" thing and everything begins to move in synch..

Just shoot it like you stole it and report back to us after 200 rounds. Shoot the 300 roundds of fmj first to get the gun running smooth and reliable then test out with your defense stuff, Don't waste good money with defense ammo until the gun is running right with fmj. gotta know if it doesn't do well with fmj, it ain't gonna do well with defense stuff. Nice gun ur gonna love it and after 300 rounds your gonna forget all about what u even reported to us about.

Take your time with the gun and I do hope you have visited the kahr tech section and hit on the lube chart and the propper prepping of your new kahr. This will save you aot of break in rounds to...

welcome aboard this great forum to.

jocko
01-22-2011, 05:37 PM
I thiink ur right tucson

9mmFL
01-22-2011, 07:35 PM
I guess it was gift remorse, if there is such a thing... I received it from my girlfriend for a really late xmas gift... I couldn't make up my mind on what I wanted I had 3 different guns in mind but wanted to research and really think about what I would be buying, obviously. But what did you use to polish and what did you polish? Flitz or your own remedy for that? I have never polished a firearm, maybe you could enlighten me and let me know a little more on what to polish on a Kahr and I could give it a shot.

MikeyKahr
01-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Oh, and keep that girl friend!

True dat!

9mmFL
01-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Oh the first thing I found was the thread on was the "prep" of a new Kahr. I found it very informative but I am unsure of a attempting a detail takedown of the gun. I am sure I can take it down but the putting back together is what worries me.... lol
Btw i dont plan on giving her up anytime soon... lol

jocko
01-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Oh the first thing I found was the thread on was the "prep" of a new Kahr. I found it very informative but I am unsure of a attempting a detail takedown of the gun. I am sure I can take it down but the putting back together is what worries me.... lol
Btw i dont plan on giving her up anytime soon... lol

is not a need for a detail take down of your gun. NOt sure the propper prepping even stated that.

copterdrvr
01-24-2011, 05:26 AM
Hey 9mmFL!

Doesn't the CW9 just feel awesome in the hand? It fits so perfect it feels like it was custom made for me. Before I started buying Kahrs, my favorites for grip comfort were my Browning HP and one of my TZ 75 Series 88 pistols (both pistols with custom thin grips), but now my CW9 and CW40 take top billing.

To do 95% of the prepping on a new pistol only requires you disassembling the pistol as necessary to do a normal "post range" cleaning. I'm assuming you know how to remove the slide from the pistol and then remove the barrel and recoil spring from the slide-correct? If not, you need to learn pronto.

Because these little beauties are pretty small, tolerances are fairly tight and if you are using this pistol for personal defense, it must be kept clean to be reliable-in my humble opinion. As a holder of a concealed carry permit, I would NEVER consider carrying a pistol that I'd just run 200 rounds through-well, at least not I get 'er home for a good cleaning after a range trip!!!:D

rkirk
01-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Me too on the BHP and now my CW9. A wonderful compact CCW pistol!

-- Richard

9mmFL
01-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Of course I field strip the pistol for cleaning, but I have yet to do a full detail. i.e. remove the striker/block/pin/ejector and all that good stuff. There is that nice PDF download that shows you step by step on how to complete this but I feel I just may not get it back together lol.... Maybe its just too new for me to give it a shot just yet. Anyone else wanna comment on how the process was for them in terms of difficulty?

Bawanna
01-24-2011, 03:29 PM
As Jocko has mentioned probably at least 1473 times theres usually no real need to take it down all the way.

However that being said as an experiment after hearing all the talk about debris left inside Kahrs from the factory and needing flushing I took my PM45 down all the way before I ever went to the range. Could easily have been a for sale in bag, like new, never shot situation but life was good. FWIW, mine was squeaky clean, spotless with zero debri inside.

If you follow that mentioned download, utilize the little whatchmacallit coat hanger trick, and watch for flying stuff or work in a bag its not difficult at all. One time and you'll have an a hah moment. It's really not tough. You have to get the extractor plunger pushed down and the back cover started and with just a little care you'll capture everything easily and no problems.

I haven't had it apart since that time but I'm confident I could do it with now trouble at all and it gives you a little insight into how things work plus the power trip of knowing you can get deep inside your gun.

If you've ever detail stripped a Glock it's much the same, just things are a bit tighter. No need to go there but if you have the desire go forth, if I can do it you can do it too.

NoJustHappyToSeeYou
01-24-2011, 03:54 PM
As I understand it, taking down the slide voids your warranty.
That sure seems odd.

NoJustHappyToSeeYou
01-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks for pointing out that second part -- I agree with your interpretation, and now I won't have to worry about whether Kahr's self-cleaning striker channel design really works sufficiently since I'll be able to check it. :)