PDA

View Full Version : New member checking in with range report.

Gavin S.
01-24-2011, 01:07 PM
I bought my first Kahr, a PM9, yesterday and took it to the range today to try it out. I put 100 American Eagle FMJs through it. I had only one hiccup and that was user error I believe. I had shot all but one magazine and on the last one I had a round get caught in the mag. It looked like it had moved forward and the nose of the bullet pushed against the front of the magazine causing the round to freeze the feeding process causing the slide to lock open. This was with the 7 rounder. I think there were 3 left in the mag when this happened. All in all I was happy with the reliability.

As for how I shot the little thing, it started kinda rocky. I was flinchy flincherson for the first few mags cause that little SOB is a handful. Lots of low left and not too tight. I had to do a little brain reset and focus on what I was doing and after that was about to put together some acceptable groups. Now, when I say acceptable I mean 5" at 7 yards. I have read about folks claiming 2" groups at 25 yards. That's not in my game. I couldn't do that with my Les Baer if I had in on a rest. I'm old and blind so I just have to accept that.

All in all I have to say I love this little gun. It will be a great option for when my 340PD isn't the best choice for CC. The trigger is really nice, and once you get used to it it is very controllable. I was thinking of Mag-na porting it and may still, but it's not a must with the 9 I don't think. I don't know why I hadn't bought a Kahr til now. This is a cool little pistol and I don't see the new crop of pocket 9s having anything on them. I guess time will tell. Thanks for reading.

Gavin S.

wyntrout
01-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Congrats! I had to get a PM9 after joining this forum. Low and left is normal for right-handed shooters starting out. I still tend to drift that way when shooting rapidly and getting sloppy.
Trouble with the 7-round mag is pretty "normal". After chambering a round, the next round in the mag is moved forward a bit and can dive sometimes, especially in the 7-round mags for some reason. I carry the 7-round as a spare, not in the pistol. I've tried different springs and smoothing everything in the magazine, but I'm not sure I "cured" that tendency to dive.
I always chamber a round and then drop the mag and top it off for carry. It's a good idea if you chamber a round, to drop the mag and make sure the next round is to the rear before re-insertion. You should get at least two shots off then. :D

I carry my P380 the most (shorts and around the house) and my favorite is the PM45, but with my physique, my pants slip down too much, necessitating pulling them up too often and probably giving away my concealment.

Wynn:)

Bawanna
01-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Welcome Flinchy. It's only gonna get better and better the more you shoot it. Sounds like your on the right approach and gonna bond nicely with that PM9.

I too am completely happy with a 5" group, sometimes I do alot better, and sometimes not quite that good, kind of depends on the day.

Glad you found us. If you look in the tech section you'll find an excellent lube chart that works on all autos but especially Kahrs. Also visit Jocko's Proper prep thread, some good helpful stuff there.

deadhead1971
01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I recommend using a center hold

http://www.bobtuley.com/sight_picture.htm

If I use a 6 oclock, it will shoot low. My groups started out 3" left at 20 feet, and now after some practice, they are dead on. Your groups will get better. It took me about 4oo rounds at least to understand the trigger pull.

Dietrich
01-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Congratulations on purchasing a fine handgun.Like most of the people here,I love mine.The more you shoot it,the more you will find yourself bonding with it.As much as I like my other pistols, they are spending more and more time in the safe.Welcome to KahrTalk.

Gavin S.
01-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I'll check out those resources.

garyb
01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Welcome. Enjoy the teasing and busting. Take some and give some, but one thing is for certain...you will learn some things on this forum. Good guys here.

Bawanna
01-24-2011, 04:48 PM
I like to think we don't do teasing, we stay serious and cordial.

Oh I include a photo of myself all suited up and ready to shoot my 40 a couple weeks ago. It's taking awhile but I'm really starting to get the hang of the brutul recoil.

Couple shots I didn't even hit my face shield.

40's rock!

mudfish
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
It took me about 4oo rounds at least to understand the trigger pull. That sounds expensive. 400 dry fires is free.

Congrats on the new gun!

TheTman
01-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the forum Gavin. Lot's of helpful people here that are very knowledgable about these Kahrs, and firearms in general. When I got my CW40 it took awhile to get used to that looooooong trigger pull. I started out trying to stage the trigger to realign my sites just before it broke, but that trigger is so smooth it's hard to tell exactly when it's going to break, so I started practicing just giving it a nice firm squeeze and letting it break when it does. Took a good amount of dry fire practice to get it down, but it's been working out nicely for me once I got used to it.
Good luck with your PM9, and hopefully it will behave after it's broke in. If not this forum is a great resource to help figure out any problems you might have.

garyb
01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Bawanna, Where did you get that new PM40 outfit? I love it. It does not give up any concealment and looks like great mallware. Does your wife think you look fat in it? Too bad the Kahr label wasn't on the helmet. I don't usually comment on another man's outfit, mind you.

NoJustHappyToSeeYou
01-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Welcome to the forum Gavin. Lot's of helpful people here that are very knowledgable about these Kahrs, and firearms in general. When I got my CW40 it took awhile to get used to that looooooong trigger pull. I started out trying to stage the trigger to realign my sites just before it broke, but that trigger is so smooth it's hard to tell exactly when it's going to break, so I started practicing just giving it a nice firm squeeze and letting it break when it does. Took a good amount of dry fire practice to get it down, but it's been working out nicely for me once I got used to it.
Good luck with your PM9, and hopefully it will behave after it's broke in. If not this forum is a great resource to help figure out any problems you might have.

Hi,
I'm a new P9 owner and still trying to find the right groove for me with my trigger. Do most people here choose not to stage the trigger on their Kahrs? I also shoot a Glock (needs staging). I'd rather not have to switch between trigger techniques unless it's really going to hurt me.
Thx

NoJustHappyToSeeYou
01-24-2011, 05:21 PM
I recommend using a center hold

http://www.bobtuley.com/sight_picture.htm

If I use a 6 oclock, it will shoot low. My groups started out 3" left at 20 feet, and now after some practice, they are dead on. Your groups will get better. It took me about 4oo rounds at least to understand the trigger pull.

Individual techniques aside, are Kahr sights designed to be 6 o'clock hold or center hold?
Thx

Bawanna
01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Bawanna, Where did you get that new PM40 outfit? I love it. It does not give up any concealment and looks like great mallware. Does your wife think you look fat in it? Too bad the Kahr label wasn't on the helmet. I don't usually comment on another man's outfit, mind you.

Thanks, its right handy when the neighbors Dobie is in a bad mood too. My wife does say it makes my butt look big but I think she's just saying that.
There is a Kahr label on the helmet but its small and just a couple shades off, I didn't want it to be too flashy.
It really looks nice with my 5" spike heels er tactical combat boots.

Please forgive my momentary wardrobe sidetrack. Lets please address the previous questions best we can.

Doug L.
01-26-2011, 10:08 PM
I too have had issues with the 7 round magazine. I took it apart to check the spring and it was installed correctly. I have no faith in the 7 round magazine, so I ordered two more 6 round mags. The rounds nosed down with the 7 round mag far too often for my taste. I put over 250 rounds down the pipe with the 6 round mag with absolutely zero FTF. (Both FMJ and hollow points...) I do not trust the 7 round mag and therefore it will not be used. This little gun is designed to save one's life and must be 100% with regards to reliability. With all that said, I do love this gun. :)

mudfish
01-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Individual techniques aside, are Kahr sights designed to be 6 o'clock hold or center hold?
Thx

My new PM40 requires a center hold. And I mean dead center, gotta cut the bullseye in half with the front sight if you wanna hit dead center. I like it that way on a combat pistol, not some imaginary aiming point an inch or two above the front sight.

As a former iron sight pistol cometition shooter, I'll add that one of the things that makes Kahrs so accurate is the great sights. The width of the blade and notch is just right for precision shooting, it helps you align the sights with more precision. Some other pistols have much "looser" sights, wide gaps etc which leads to a little bit of guess work.

Gavin S.
01-26-2011, 11:20 PM
I too have had issues with the 7 round magazine. I took it apart to check the spring and it was installed correctly. I have no faith in the 7 round magazine, so I ordered two more 6 round mags. The rounds nosed down with the 7 round mag far too often for my taste. I put over 250 rounds down the pipe with the 6 round mag with absolutely zero FTF. (Both FMJ and hollow points...) I do not trust the 7 round mag and therefore it will not be used. This little gun is designed to save one's life and must be 100% with regards to reliability. With all that said, I do love this gun. :)

I'd be curious to know if others has the same experience with the 7 round mags. Also I'd like to know if there is a source for mags for less than $40. That's pretty high.

mudfish
01-26-2011, 11:31 PM
I just bought a new mag for $26 plus $6 shipping. But apparently the mag was mislabled cause it's not the right one.

.45fan
01-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Keep shooting the pm9, you will get used to the trigger and your groups will get better.

NoJustHappyToSeeYou
01-27-2011, 09:40 PM
I'd be curious to know if others has the same experience with the 7 round mags. Also I'd like to know if there is a source for mags for less than $40. That's pretty high.

I'm not sure whether or not the 7 round P9/CW9 mags are identical to the PM9's, but mine have been fine, so far. However, it doesn't hang out the bottom of my gun like it would on a PM9 since my grip length is longer. Seems like they'd be the same product except a different mag base -- the same piece of black plastic which I have on my 8-round mag. The 8-rounder does extend below the bottom of my P9, but I don't touch it when I shoot, and I've had no failures with it. I've heard the theory that lateral grip pressure on the extended mags causes FTFs.

mad1ben2
01-28-2011, 07:46 AM
I don't have the 7 rounder with my PM9... got it used with 2 flush 6 rounders... I do have a TP9 and at the range I've used those mags in the PM9 without any problems... obviously they stick out the bottom quite a bit... I do try to grip with pressure mainly from my middle 2 fingers, but with the extended mags I do allow my pinky to apply pressure on the extended mag and haven't had any feeding issues with that. I would feel totally confident carrying the larger mag as a spare or even in the gun for holster carry.