PDA

View Full Version : My testimony in front of the Maryland House of Delegates

aray
01-26-2011, 12:00 AM
FYI on Tuesday I took off work in order to testify in front of the Maryland House of Delegates Judiciary Committee for HB-9, which proposes to add a reciprocity agreement between Maryland and its border states for carrying concealed weapons. Unfortunately this would not help with my non-resident Florida CCW permit, but you have to start somewhere.

Anyway, if interested, the testimony was recorded and streamed live, and is also archived here: http://mgahouse.maryland.gov/House/SilverlightPlayer/Default.aspx?peid=f1d0dd67519448889b97ee2855221ae5 1d That link requires the Microsoft Silverlight browser plug-in to play. To get my "window" within the window larger, also click on the double arrows icon along the right hand side of the main window.

FYI the camera cut off the first 1/3 of my testimony, as well as the two speakers who preceded me (one of whom was the bill sponsor). If interested the written testimony I had prepared and submitted to the committee, upon which my verbal testimony was based, is reproduced below.

My name is Dr. Ray ***. I have been a resident of Maryland since I graduated with my Ph.D. in 1987 and moved here for my job. I am here today to speak in favor of HB-9.

For the last year I’ve also been the owner of a concealed weapons permit in another state. In order to obtain this permit I had to submit to a criminal and mental background investigation; be fingerprinted; photographed; and take a firearms, safety, and legal training class that included live fire of a weapon. This non-resident permit allows me to lawfully carry a concealed regulated firearm in 32 states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming. If I were an actual resident of that state I could carry in 4 more (Colorado, Michigan, New Hampshire, and South Carolina) for a total of 36 states. An overwhelming majority of the states in this country correctly believe me to be a responsible, law abiding citizen, and capable of executing common sense and good judgment. These states also believe that in a life and death situation imposed upon me by others, that I have a right to self-defense for myself and for my family.

But not in the state of Maryland.

I’d like to give an illustration of the difference this permit means to families in Maryland vs. other states. Approximately 7 years ago, while on vacation visiting my parents in Central Florida, my wife, 5 year-old daughter, and I went to Orlando late at night to see the illuminated fountain in the middle of Lake Eola. For those of you not familiar with Lake Eola, it is in the very heart of downtown Orlando. The scenic walking trail around the circumference is almost one mile in length, and other than occasional streetlights and a park with a small playground on one side, it is isolated and dark at night for virtually the entire length.

We were having so much fun that we lost track of time and before we realized it, it was well after midnight. And yet we felt perfectly safe, despite the fact that I was completely unarmed, and 6 years away from obtaining my own concealed weapons permit. Why did I feel that way? Because since 1987 Florida has led the nation in allowing its citizens to protect themselves with concealed firearms. The year that legislation was enacted, violent crime dropped dramatically in Florida and has continued falling ever since. From 1987 to 1992 Florida’s murder rate dropped by 23% while the national average rose by 9% over the same period of time. The reason is that criminals have no way of knowing who is armed and who is not. Virtually the entire state has the legal right to self-defense, and hence criminals find ways other than face-to-face encounters to pursue their selfish ends. Unlike Maryland, criminals take their lives into their own hands whenever they foolishly try to mug, rob, or rape Florida citizens.

Contrast that with Maryland. While the Inner Harbor is safe enough when there are lots of people milling around, there is no way that I would walk with my family west from the Inner Harbor to the Light Rail system after midnight if no one else were around or within shouting distance. How much less would I walk one mile due north of the Inner Harbor in Baltimore? Criminals know with certainty that they are likely the only ones armed. They know tourists are easy prey, and ripe for the harvest. It’s open season on the innocent in the state of Maryland.

So we stay at home, as do thousands of other Maryland citizens, as do tourists who curtail what might otherwise be more extended visits. People aren’t stupid: they are not going to needlessly put themselves or their families at risk for the sake of a little entertainment. Each of us has a threshold of danger and in this state and in this environment, current self defense laws represent a drag on the economy of restaurants, theaters, and other entertainment establishments, especially in the urban areas that are most in need of the disposable income tourists represent.

Let me boil this down to one question that I have often pondered as I have traveled down I-95 to Florida, with each and every one of the states in-between possessing concealed carry permit laws. As a criminal would you rather hold up a convenience store where you are the only one holding a gun? Or would you rather hold up a store where the clerk might have a gun, the guy behind you in line might have a gun, the guy one aisle over looking at the Twinkies might have a gun, the guy coming in the front door might have a gun, and the guy in the parking lot just getting out of his car might have a gun?

I know which store I would rather shop in. And I have absolutely no doubt which store a bad guy would rather “shop” in.

Please vote for HB-9. Please vote for the rights of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families. Please join the almost 40 states across the nation that offer some form of concealed carry reciprocity.

Sincerely,

Dr. A. Ray ***

Our side had a couple of dozen folks who testified. The other side had only two groups: someone representing a particularly liberal religious institution and the Maryland State Police. You'd think the MDSP would be neutral. Wrongo. The head of the MDSP is a political position and so they took the party line. However when questioned by the bill's sponsor, suddenly they adopted a line like: well we don't write the laws, we don't interpret the laws, we just enforce the laws, so we can't answer your questions because we can't take a position on the issues you raised. Nice dodge & nice attempt to have it both ways.

PaiN
01-26-2011, 05:10 AM
Well said Ray....you are a great asset on the side of the RKBA.
Keep giving um' Hell, my friend ;)

ripley16
01-26-2011, 05:39 AM
I certainly wish you luck. I'd love to be able to visit my family in Maryland and remain armed. I was born and raised in Maryland, but imigrated to Virginia about 10 years ago.

The Maryland State Police have never been friendly towards the legally armed citizen. Having gone through the process of obtaining a CCP in Maryland years ago, I can verify that the jumps are high and the hoops are numerous and the atmosphere unfriendly.

Dietrich
01-26-2011, 05:49 AM
From reading your posts on this forum I knew that you expressed yourself well but I had no idea you were so eloquent.Well said indeed.I hope that the seeds you planted bear fruit.

recoilguy
01-26-2011, 07:10 AM
Well said!!!

RCG

kramm
01-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Aray, very well done. Please keep us up on how this is going.

aray
01-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the kind words from all.

My favorite moment in the testimony was when someone else remarked that "If only 5% of the deer shot back there would be less hunting". All of the delegates cracked up when he uttered those lines. But he went on to add that it is the same when private citizens are able to defend themselves - crime goes down.

Very effective use of humor to drive home an excellent point. Sometimes the dry statistics behind "more guns less crime" just don't get the job done.

I'd love to be able to visit my family in Maryland and remain armed. I was born and raised in Maryland, but imigrated to Virginia about 10 years ago.

We had a couple of people there (one of whom works for the Maryland House of Delegates as a staffer!) who testified that they moved to Virginia precisely because they didn't want to live in a state where they can't be armed in their private lives. I thought their testimony was particularly effective.

I've considered moving to VA or PA many times myself. But the commute around either the DC or Baltimore beltways just kills me. I'm not willing to spend 90 minutes each way, 3 hours a day, 15 hours a week, extra away from my family. To each his own I guess.

gkstemple
01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Kudos Aray,

I'm one of the folks from one of Maryland's border states who enters Maryland as seldom as possible.

Gasoline is at least a dime per gallon cheaper 13 miles away in MD than at the one station in my village. There is no sales tax on gorceries in MD, unlike in my state. It's only 13 miles to my nearest WalMart -- in MD over mostly good roads. My nearest in-state WalMart is nearly 30 miles from home across poor and dangerous roads.

Yeah, where I shop should be a slam-dunk, shouldn't it?
Because MD has no reciprocity with my state, I shop in my home state, expense be d****d.

eaglefrq
01-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm a neighbor from VA and want to say "Outstanding testimony!" I did get to send an email to all the delegates, but it wasn't as eloquent as yours. Hopefully, they will listen and make something positive happen.

aray
01-27-2011, 01:17 AM
I'm a neighbor from VA and want to say "Outstanding testimony!" I did get to send an email to all the delegates, but it wasn't as eloquent as yours. Hopefully, they will listen and make something positive happen.

Thanks for the emails. Everything helps, I think especially border state people who stay out of Maryland because of this. People just don't come here & don't spend money here. It affects their bottom line and one thing that helps to get the attention of politicians is money.

2edgesword
01-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Great testimony Dr. Ray. Straight forward, concise and to the point, so simple a caveman could understand it. Kudos!

noslolo
02-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Wow great job! It took me two days but I watched the whole two hours and 43 minutes of it. I used to live in Maryland and I still work there. Kudos to you for what you are trying to get passed.

pappy42
02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Keep up the good fight Dr. Ray. I hope that I live long enough to see National right to carry laws.

Longitude Zero
02-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Excellent presentation. It is very satisfying to see a person with an advance degree that is not a liberal idiot. It seems that doctorate degrees tend to make people too stupid to come in from an acid rain. I am very happy you are not one of those and have a good grasp of what is important.

burns
02-12-2011, 11:11 AM
I've considered moving to VA or PA many times myself.

I moved from MD to VA. I detest even spending a single dollar to fill my gas tank in a state where I have to check my constitutional right to bear arms at the state line.

noslolo
02-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Hey Doc, have you heard any follow up to HB-9? Once again I have to thank you and all of those that had to guts to stand up talk about a subject that is not very popular in MD.

aray
02-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Hey Doc, have you heard any follow up to HB-9? Once again I have to thank you and all of those that had to guts to stand up talk about a subject that is not very popular in MD.

No word yet. Sometimes they vote on it - last year's version almost made it out of committee but fell one vote short. Sometimes they don't vote on a bill - the committee chair can kill a bill unilaterally by simply not calling it up for a vote. One guy.

The MD General Assembly is in session for only 90 days a year so we won't have too long to wait to find out the fate of the bill. It's not clear Governor O'Malley would even sign it if it did get all of the way through the GA.

Ultimately we're staking our best hopes on the Second Amendment Foundation lawsuit (http://saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=334) but ya still gotta try the legislative route as well.

Thanks to all for all of your kind words.

CarlCyrus
03-20-2011, 09:54 PM
aray,

Good work. However, in this state the chances of a change are almost nil. That is whay I've purchased land in VA and will retire there. I'll take two pensions, two IRAs, and two 401ks with me. VA will get the fruits of my taxes...not MD.

Carl

aray
03-22-2011, 01:55 AM
Yeah, when I retire I'm headed out too - probably either to Tennessee or to Kentucky.

I'm cautiously optimistic however that before that happens we'll get to carry in Maryland. The Second Amendment Foundation is suing Maryland for their "good and substantial" requirement for CCW permits. Since that term is not defined by the MD General Assembly, it has led to arbitrary and gross inequities in granting permits. Now that the Supreme Court has ruled in Heller and in McDonald that the 2A is a "fundamental right" that applies to "individuals" you can't pick & chose who gets to exercise that right and who can't without clear due process - nor can you a priori deny someone a fundamental Constitutional right. An undefined "good and substantial" phrase will no longer pass Constitutional muster - or so we hope.

Postscript to HB9: looks like the chairman of the committee is going to pocket veto the bill by not calling it up for a vote this year. Not too surprising in this state.

So Carl - looks like you're a citizen of Maryland too?

bonjorno2
03-22-2011, 07:53 PM
good job