PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out how to get my Desantis Tuck this II comfortable

Kahrcw9
01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
I did a lot of reading and I liked the design and price of the Desantis Tuck this holster for my cw9. I ordered it for under $30 and got it before my cw9 even came in. I just can't seem to find a place that it fits comfortable and isn't pretty obvious in most shirts.. I have never tried to do this before, so I am just trying anything and everything and so far no luck.. I like the feel of it best at about the 4- 4:30 position and canted forward, but even that is pretty obvious in most shirts when I move and it creates any kind of tension to the clothes on that side.. It also is not very comfortable when sitting.. the 3:00 position the end of the grip seems very obvious to me and it just doesn't feel right.. It also makes me look lopsided in a mirror because you can see the 1.5 inches of difference in the belt..

Just looking for some suggestions to try.. I am not opposed to try another IWB holster, but I can't spend $60-80 on a holster and still not be happy with it..

How about pictures.. Does anybody have pictures of how theirs sits?

thanks

Kahrcw9
01-26-2011, 12:05 PM
by the way I have no idea how anybody that isn't a big person would ever comfortably carry anything bigger than a cw sized pistol..

Bawanna
01-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Holsters can be a real challenge to get to work for each person. You might try going the other way more towards an appendix carry.
Many are deluding themselves by carrying back at the 4 to 5 oclock position. I guess they figure if you can't see it in the mirror it must be invisible.
I dont often try to hide under just a shirt myself but I easily could. I just don't care for an untucked shirt. The detectives around here carry full size G21's and 1911's under an untucked shirt and I have to pat em to tell they didn't forget their gun at home.
I carry OWB 3 oclock straight up a full sized and a commander that have been bobtailed which helps with the poke in the back or when you bend over immensely. I've never been comfy with IWB but I've been trying it again with a holster I got from a member here. Somtimes it seems to work for me.

I've always leaned toward 3 oclock or forward thinking that if my gun shows I want to be the first one to see it.
Wait for some more input, most of us have a drawer or multiple drawers full of holsters that didn't quite work for us.

Indigo
01-26-2011, 01:06 PM
This isn't going to be helpful at all but I am a huge fan of that holster cause of the small size and built in magazine holder. I mostly carry in pocket though with it and the belt clip just aids in retention when removing pistol. I bought it thinking how awesome the magazine holder part is but I'm wearing scrubs or athletic pants at the range 90% of the time so it's ended up useless as an IWB.

PaiN
01-26-2011, 01:15 PM
My personal experience with DeSantis ItW holsters is that they do not ride well at all for some reason.
I prefer a straight drop ItW and I exclusively appendix carry at ~1oc. The most comfortable holster I've used is a High Noon "Mr. Softy" (http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Mr_Softy/_mr_softy.html)... I'd get another in a second if it had full gun coverage.
Don Hume 715 a good choice, there are a few styles to choose from.

Kahrcw9
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Is it even possible to carry at 3:00 with no cant and not have the grip sticking way out from your body? The only place I can get the gun to not completely show the grip end is by basically putting it at 15 deg cant and at about 4:00 to 4:30 and then as soon as I bend over or anything it sticks out..

How do you OWB CC anything? it would have to be a huge shirt to cover it.

Kahrcw9
01-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Played with it some more tonight.. Just not sure how this is supposed to work..

Bawanna
01-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Is it even possible to carry at 3:00 with no cant and not have the grip sticking way out from your body? The only place I can get the gun to not completely show the grip end is by basically putting it at 15 deg cant and at about 4:00 to 4:30 and then as soon as I bend over or anything it sticks out..

How do you OWB CC anything? it would have to be a huge shirt to cover it.

I use a Mernickle PS6 with a 1911 at 3 oclock. It keeps the gun very tight to my body and it rides very high. It's so high that many preferred a mid ride or a low ride so he added those.
If you got bad shoulders the high ride might not be a good rig.
I can wear a pull over sweatshirt or I often times wear like a 511 vest, it isn't 511, can't recall the name now, same concept over the gun with a dual mag pouch on the off side and it virtually dissappears.
I wore that setup to Thanksgiving with the family and somebody mentioned they'd never seen me without a gun. I was wearing 2.
I prefer the highride since I sit full time, anything mid or low ride hits the seat or armrest so its either high, cross or shoulder rig and the shoulder rigs don't work well for long periods, hits on the nerves in my neck.
It's cut so the barrel just has to clear the belt to be free to move forward.
There's a bajillion options out there, keep looking and seeking feed back, sometimes it takes a few trys to get just the right setup.

Tilos
01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Kahrcw9:
What I did with that holster, was put in the drawer with the rest of my holsters, when the Remora arrived 3 days after I ordered it.
I'd take a pic of that drawer, full of holsters I've tried, but I get depressed and see dollar signs when I look at them all, at once.

The only drawback, so far, to the Remora is NOT leaving it and your gun in the men's room.
I carried an empty gun in it for a week waiting for it to fall out of my pants leg or shift to a useless position...never happened.
You know, doing something and thinking, I bet it moved from that, doing the touch, only to find out, nope, still right there.

I be honest I've been carrying a PM9 not the CW9 only because that's all I have with me and I did buy 2 Remora, #2 is for the CW9.
I also find the PM9 Remora is great for pocket carry too, pants, jacket, even the console of my car.

You can use it crossdraw in the car, pocket(PM9), or anywhere.
It's not often a product can be, or even claim to be, useful at 3 different applications, but the Remora holster does all those things and doe them well.
No need for a big honkin' belt that costs $$$$ either.
American made with American made materials and garrenteed for life.
What's not to like??
I am not affiliated in any way with Remora, did sleep at a Holiday Inn, after checking to see if jocko was there...he was not.

just endorsin'
Tilos

deuce
01-27-2011, 06:32 PM
I carry either a Taurus PT740 or a CW45 in a Desantis Tuck This II at the 4:00 position and find it comfortable, different strokes I guess, but I ended up removing the mag. pouch because I never used it and it just seemed to get in the way. I usually wear a t-shirt with a button up shirt over it(usually un-buttoned.) You can't tell I'm carrying when I dress like that.

franco45
01-27-2011, 08:07 PM
+1 on the Mr. Softy from High Noon. I prefer appendix carry though and dress very casually now that I am retired. t-shirt or sweat shirt outside the pants.

tconroy
02-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Im going to look at holsters today. I have a Blackhawk ITW for my sp101 and the CW9 fits in it but it is too large at the top. They are cheap nylon ones and are thin. You might want to look at those. It take a while to get use to a holster. WEAR IT ALL THE TIME. Also you might see the gun cause YOU know its there, others wont see it. When you have it on ask the wife or kids if they see anything different. you are probably self conscience of it being there. My wife said she could not see anything and I have a 3" revolver on one side and my CW9 on the other. Bass pro carrys the thin blackhawks. Go to their websight and check them out. About 14 bucks.