PDA

View Full Version : what lube to use?

hoot
11-09-2009, 07:51 PM
http://http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx296/geogibjr/I have been full circle starting with Hoppes 9 cleaner & gun oil, then went to Prolix cleaner and grease.(the cleaner cleans good but the grease is wierd)
Then went to Tetra (whale sperm) I don't think kahr is the right gun for Tetra. (1911 are more suited for Tetra) Breakfree is a no no in terms of dirt accumulation. My latest concotion is Shooters Choice bore cleaner, Prolix to clean inside the polymer area, connectors and Shooters Choice Red grease on the slide contacts. This works good except the grease migrates onto the slide after storage. I am going to try Militec on the slide next.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx296/geogibjr/GunClub047.jpg

Raoul
11-10-2009, 04:06 AM
I've had good results with Militec.

jocko
11-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Mil-comm.com try their TW25, simply the best around anc comes in a little syringe applicator and u can run a line of grease right downinside the slide rails with ease. Won't run and is super stuff. used alot by the military..

hollander
11-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Mobil Synthetic One - Started with it and will not quit. Every gun I have works terrific with it. Does not seem to hold powder residue either. One quart is a lifetime supply.

wagon
11-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Heard about it from sereral forums, I'm stock piled with M1 0W40, gonna give it a try..

Mobil Synthetic One - Started with it and will not quit. Every gun I have works terrific with it. Does not seem to hold powder residue either. One quart is a lifetime supply.

ltxi
11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
RemOil here

border bandit32
11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Breakfree CLP for Me!!:D

Kahrdog
11-12-2009, 05:04 PM
My preferance is Break Free LP. Not CLP but LP. It doesn't have the cleaner that thins out CLP. It seems a little thicker to me. It was formulated for the military and high heat, full auto applications. It is especially good with stainless steel. It's also recommended for polymer/stainless firearms. Good Stuff :59:

Kahrdog

jocko
11-12-2009, 05:13 PM
seems no one is in agreement on what lube to use, so that tells me that all of the above is good stuff and if it works for u, then indeed stay with it..

Kahrfire
11-17-2009, 08:40 PM
I like the prolix grease. Doesn't run or pick up crud. I use it with gunzilla or breakfree. Works fine. Ed's Red is great, but I couldn't find any deoderized kerosene, and I can't stand the smell of the regular.
When I run out of Gunzilla, I will try some Weaponshield. It's my neverending (and probably futile) quest for a true single CLP.

alnitak
11-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Check out this link:

CastPics Home (http://www.castpics.net/)

Click on the Lube reference>Gun Oil Test link on the left-hand column. Some interesting data (and not much difference between the oils).

P-Denny
11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Anywhere there's friction, I prefer Slide-Glide.

Denny

Dietrich
11-21-2009, 03:17 AM
I use grease from Remington on the inside of the slide and the outside of the barrel.Remoil everywhere else, but I admit that the Mobil synthetic oil idea is interesting.Hmm.

kpm9
11-21-2009, 07:02 AM
ok, I'v had zero malfunctions on all 3 Kahr's from day one with each.
In my case, I won't mess with success. :D

To give this more perspective, I try to shoot at least once a week and average approx. 250 rounds. This year have shot 9495 rounds of 9mm, 4200 rounds of .45acp and 6235 rounds of 5.56 so far.

I clean (new or just fired) with Hoppes Elite or MPro 7 - both the same and water based.
I then run a very lightly oiled patch with breakfree through the bore a couple of times. Same patch, 3-4x. I use that patch to wipe down the slide inside and out, barrel and cam surfaces inside frame.

Lastly, I use TW25B on the barrel, inside the slide and on the rails (lube points). Again, very light lube, but TW25B doesn't burn off or run. A 4oz tube has lasted me almost 2 years.
I spend about 15 minutes cleaning each pistol, I don't overly concerned if the bore is not spotless etc.

I use the same method/lubes on my AR, again with 0 malfunctions.
It's an LWRC M6 though. :p

Edited:

Ok I looked at those ammo numbers and I said, "Damn- how much did that cost?"
I ran report in quicken and found total outflows for Gun related expenses were $10,559.11 YTD. I case anyone was wondering
There are a couple of gun purchases/trades in there, but most was ammo expenses.

packinaglock
11-21-2009, 05:39 PM

Same here:D

badge4436
11-29-2009, 08:20 PM
CLP for my PM9, only cuz my son gave me several bottles of it.

mx5fan
11-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Okay, I'll add my 2 cents:

Clean my PM9 with Gunzilla and lube with Weaponshield.

Cappy
11-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Tetra Lub, a polymer lubricant, is what I use with zero issues. I have used silicone, Hoppies and Remoil; and have not had as good luck. It is what ever you feel works for you! I feel Polymer and silicone lubricants work best for me, but the polymer seem to be best for me. Again. it is what you feel works best.