PDA

View Full Version : Used PM9, Polished Barrel. Buy or Move On?

uberdog
01-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Hey Folks,

I have been bitten by the PM9 bug pretty hard. I already have two that I bought new and happened to run across one used in a fun shop that seems well priced.

The one for sale is black diamond, standard sights with a serial of IB60xx, which I think makes it an early 2010 production. It has the old version slide and appears to be very clean. I would have to guess that has at least 200 rounds through it by looking at the slide stop pin wear marks, but there is an issue... The entire barrel and crown have been polished to a bright stainless finish. No more plate anywhere.

Asking price is $495.00 and the dealer was calling it LNIB based on how cleaned up it is. Absolutely spotless inside and out. He knew nothing of factory plate on the barrel when he took it in and said so.

One last issue, they blacked out the white on the front and rear sights. Not a big issue, but...

This a buy or no buy? Wondering if rust will be an issue with the unfinished barrel as it can be with Kimbers, etc.

Any advice, opinions or suggestions appreciated.

UD

Bawanna
01-27-2011, 02:54 PM
The barrel is still stainless, it just had a matte finish from the factory. It polishes off very easy unlike polishing the slide. I completely polished my PM45 and wouldn't put that in the negative column.

The sights also are a non issue to me as az said, you can replace the dots, see if you like them as is or have aftermarket sights installed. Again not a negative to me.

If your good with the price I'd go for it. Again like az said if it's got the box, manual and stuff with it and maybe even an unfilled out warranty card that belongs in the plus column.

jocko
01-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Hey Folks,

I have been bitten by the PM9 bug pretty hard. I already have two that I bought new and happened to run across one used in a fun shop that seems well priced.

The one for sale is black diamond, standard sights with a serial of IB60xx, which I think makes it an early 2010 production. It has the old version slide and appears to be very clean. I would have to guess that has at least 200 rounds through it by looking at the slide stop pin wear marks, but there is an issue... The entire barrel and crown have been polished to a bright stainless finish. No more plate anywhere.

Asking price is $495.00 and the dealer was calling it LNIB based on how cleaned up it is. Absolutely spotless inside and out. He knew nothing of factory plate on the barrel when he took it in and said so.

One last issue, they blacked out the white on the front and rear sights. Not a big issue, but...

This a buy or no buy? Wondering if rust will be an issue with the unfinished barrel as it can be with Kimbers, etc.

Any advice, opinions or suggestions appreciated.

UD

I polished mine to a mirror finish. cleans easier that way. ur ok.

Bawanna
01-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Is the barrel stainless? From what I read here, it's not described as such...

http://www.kahr.com/kahr-barrel.asp

Your absolutely correct and I stand corrected. Its still plated under than matte finish though so as Jocko said, you can polish it to mirror finish and it's still protected.

uberdog
01-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Appreciate the responses.

This does come with factory box, both mags and all paperwork- including warranty card.

Sounds like the polished barrel is a non-issue.

Not sure if the price is in line. Since round count is unknown and assuming maximum could be 500 rounds based on what wear is visable, does $495 sound like a good deal or just on par?

Thanks again.

UD

eastenn
01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
based on the listings on gunbroker I don't think you could get a used on from there for under $650 after shipping costs and transfer fees at your ffl.

If you already have 2 then I would just walk in there, put down $500 cash and let him decide if you need it or not.

jocko
01-27-2011, 03:47 PM
buy the gun , it is late edition also, price is very good, might save you some break in rounds to.

I would treat it as a new gun though, which means to me, propper prepping of it and the kahr lube chart is super. Then just shoot it like u stole it...

Popeye
01-30-2011, 05:15 PM
I polished my barrel to a mirror finish also. Looks great and seems to make the gun cycle better. Rust is no issue.

Tilos
01-31-2011, 05:33 AM
Im lurking here, but wanted to add something about polishing.
That NuFinish car polish/wax we all put in our tumblers works great on a dremel wheel for polishing.
just sayin'
Tilos

Old Salt
02-02-2011, 01:15 AM
underdog,
I was not only bitten by the PM9 bug but also the Kahr bug. If you can I would get that PM9. I just picked up a used PM9 and as it was pointed out to me usually the smaller pistols are used for self defense weapons not range guns. The average person may shoot a few hundred rounds for break in then some self defense ammunition to be sure it cycles through the gun. The used PM9 I bought is a few years older than the one you are looking at but from what I can tell mine was not used very much. But most import I’ve put almost 300 round through it and it cycles 100% and hit’s where I’m pointing it. Another big plus if you ever need any help after your purchase there are a lot of great people on this forum ready to help, Bawanna45cal and jocko helped me and what I can tell my short time on this forum are helping many.