PDA

View Full Version : 1911s question?

MW surveyor
02-01-2011, 06:44 AM
I've been wondering about this for awhile......Are 1911s so finicky that if you get a base model, you almost always have to do some major mods to get them to operate the way you would expect from any more modern designed semi-auto?

Seems like just about everything I read is about modifying a new gun (usually a GI model) or buying the most expensive hand built 45 that you can.

This should also be my 100th post, so now I are a "senior" member:cheer2: OK, I've now gone beyond 100 posts!

jlottmc
02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
It sorta depends. With a 1911, it's like having the capability to handle a Ferrari, but buy a beat up volks wagon. Many like to play with them just because they can. Kinda like chrome on a Harley too.

TheTman
02-01-2011, 08:33 AM
My experience was with a mil-spec Springfield Armory 1911-A1. They are designed to feed 230 gr. round nosed hardball, and it will feed that all day. It sure didn't like those "flying ashtray" (200 gr. CCI Blazers) rounds with the wide mouth hollowpoint, those would hang up, so feed ramp got polished, which helped some. Seems like there are some other things that will help with that, I can't remember right off hand. My Springfield seems to like the 185 grain hollow points that don't have as wide a mouth as the flying ashtrays.
I look at the less expensive 1911's as the starting point for a great gun. Add a little bit here, a little there, as you can afford it, and pretty soon you have real nice gun.

deadhead1971
02-01-2011, 10:11 AM
anyone have experience shooting a Colt New Agent?

MW surveyor
02-01-2011, 10:18 AM
I haven/t shot one but would like to.

Thanks for the replys so far to my original question.

Bawanna
02-01-2011, 10:21 AM
You in the market for a 1911 there pal. Anything we can do to push you towards that decision, you know we can do that.

In addition to my desire for a new MRI 1911 I've had a desire for a Remington. It's supposed to be a Mil Spec 1911 but slicked up inside, better trigger, tight fit. I think it might have better sights but I cant remember for sure, been a while since I slobbered on that page.

kramm
02-01-2011, 10:26 AM
If you buy a base model 1911, alot depends on if it's a Colt S&W or a Springfield. Those are not real expensive and really work well right out of the box. If you buy a less refined gun you may have to do somethings to get it to handle the way you want. A lot of people like to work on them so they buy a $400-$500 gun to play around with. The thing about 1911's is you can do alot to them.:cool:

MW surveyor
02-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I think I'm getting the urge to enlarge my pistol collection again. Used to shoot 45's waaay back (think late 60's). Best thing was all of the ammo was paid for by the US government.

Been lookin real hard at the lower end (pricewise) guns. In addition been pricing the components for reloading (new dies, additional turret, cast bullets, etc.)

kramm - you posted while I was writing up this one. Been looking at the colts, S&W, Remington, RIA, Citadel, you name it! Would like better sights than the GI models though.

Darn, gotta go back to work! Will be checking in later.

Bawanna
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Lot of guys here like the RIA, I think O'Dell just got a Citadel if my memory is working. Wyn just picked up a nice Champion thats already had a few improvements. Theres sure a pile to choose from.
Auto Ordnance makes a nice entry model too.

I haven't seen any for a long time but Norinco used to make one that many said was good to build on. Rather than deface a original Colt you could start with one of those. Must have dryed up as I haven't seen on in quite awhile.

The sights are usually the first upgrade on any of the GI models. Guess they weren't designed for well used and experienced eyes.

O'Dell
02-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I have two $400-$500 1911's, Citadel and RIA Tactical, and two over $1000 ones, loaded SA Ultra Compact and SIG 1911 C3. The Citadel had some ejection issues early, but that just required an adjustment of the ejector. The Rock, SIG and Springfield have been perfect with ball or HP. I think most mods are just for appearance or personal taste. Sorta like putting rims on a new car. Most modern 1911's seem to function fine stock.

earle8888
02-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Yep any major manufacturer 1911 should be expected to work out-of-the-box.
Re: feeding different bullet design's--- The majority of times the feeding problems arise from the magazine feed control lips NOT the feed ramp--Polishing the feed ramp should ONLY be done by a competent gunsmith, which most of the (truthful) time will correct the feed lips of the magazines and solve the problem!

MW surveyor
02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks again for the posts so far. May have to go out in a few minutes and fondle some more 45s (1911s of course).

MW surveyor
02-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Went to my LGS. Fondled a new Springfield 1911a1 in stainless steel. Liked it and his price was less than Bud's. He also had a few Kimbers both new and used for what I think may be good prices. Had to put them all down and backed away slowly while keeping my check book from flying out of my pocket.

I gotta study this more before I jump.

yqtszhj
02-01-2011, 04:18 PM
As soon as my FFL gets the RIA 1911A1 model I ordered last weekend from Buds, me my boy will go shoot it and bring you back a report on that model.

This waiting.... It's been a whole 2 days. What's the holdup???:D

MW surveyor
02-01-2011, 08:46 PM
I think Bud's ships second day air? ;)

gb6491
02-01-2011, 09:31 PM
My experience with out of the box 1911s (early 70s to date) has been that they are usually reliable if properly lubricated and fed via quality magazines (unfortunately not all manufacturers ship quality magazines with their guns).
Most recently, I've bought three new 1911s; a Kimber TLE II, a Colt Series 80 Government model, and a Springfield Armory Range Officer. Quick thoughts on these out of the box:
Kimber TLE II: accurate and reliable: best overall fit and finish of the three.
Colt Series 80 Government: extractor needed tension adjustment (reliable afterwords), least accurate of the three as well as having the worst fit and finish.
SA Range Officer: accurate (adjustable sights needed adjustment) and reliable: best frame to slide finish of the three.
I'll be keeping the Kimber and selling the Colt. I'm up in the air about keeping the Springer.
Regards,
Greg

O'Dell
02-01-2011, 10:11 PM
My experience with out of the box 1911s (early 70s to date) has been that they are usually reliable if properly lubricated and fed via quality magazines (unfortunately not all manufacturers ship quality magazines with their guns).
Most recently, I've bought three new 1911s; a Kimber TLE II, a Colt Series 80 Government model, and a Springfield Armory Range Officer. Quick thoughts on these out of the box:
Kimber TLE II: accurate and reliable: best overall fit and finish of the three.
Colt Series 80 Government: extractor needed tension adjustment (reliable afterwords), least accurate of the three as well as having the worst fit and finish.
SA Range Officer: accurate (adjustable sights needed adjustment) and reliable: best frame to slide finish of the three.
I'll be keeping the Kimber and selling the Colt. I'm up in the air about keeping the Springer.
Regards,
Greg

I haven't had a Colt 1911 since my brother walked off with mine in 1978, so I have no recent experience. My new loaded SA is working fine, and their CS is excellent. Mine had a small scratch on the slide, so I called them and they sent a prepaid label to return the slide. [probably not their fault] I got a brand new one today. [11 days] I had also mentioned that it was shooting 1 inch right of POA at 10 yards. They said that they adjusted the sights, but I'm not sure how that's going to work out since they didn't have the rest of the pistol. I guess I'll find out the next time I take it to the range.

My LGS has more Kimbers on display than all the other 45's put together. However, although everyone in the store carries a 1911, none has a Kimber. They are all Springfields or SIG's. I've had two friends sell their Kimbers in the last two months, because of feeding issues. Both said that CS was not only unhelpful, but insulting. Personally, I don't know, because I've never even shot one.

yqtszhj
02-01-2011, 10:25 PM
I think Bud's ships second day air? ;)

Yeah, It hasn't shipped yet. I'm figuring that once it ships I will be 2 days from bliss. Oh, I just have that smile on my face thinking about it :).

I shot a 1980's colt that belongs to a guy that works for me about a month ago and it was sweet. I've been wanting to get one ever since for a range gun.

These small things can bring such pleasure.

MW surveyor
02-02-2011, 05:03 AM
I haven't had a Colt 1911 since my brother walked off with mine in 1978, so I have no recent experience. My new loaded SA is working fine, and their CS is excellent. Mine had a small scratch on the slide, so I called them and they sent a prepaid label to return the slide. [probably not their fault] I got a brand new one today. [11 days] I had also mentioned that it was shooting 1 inch right of POA at 10 yards. They said that they adjusted the sights, but I'm not sure how that's going to work out since they didn't have the rest of the pistol. I guess I'll find out the next time I take it to the range.

My LGS has more Kimbers on display than all the other 45's put together. However, although everyone in the store carries a 1911, none has a Kimber. They are all Springfields or SIG's. I've had two friends sell their Kimbers in the last two months, because of feeding issues. Both said that CS was not only unhelpful, but insulting. Personally, I don't know, because I've never even shot one.

That seems to be true. I've seen more used Kimbers than any other 1911s. Then again, I've also seen more Colts. It could be that the people selling really need the money and the Kimbers and Colts bring more.

gb6491 - I also like the fit and finish on the Kimber.

yqtszhj - It'll be there before you know it :)

gb6491
02-02-2011, 07:12 AM
To each their own, I guess.:yo:
The Kimbers (2) I have owned worked well and were/are above average accurate.
I've only had one experience with Kimber CS. I bought a used BP Ten II that had some damage to the mainspring housing and called about a replacement. This is an odd ball part on a discontinued gun (the BP is a poly frame wide body 1911 with a unique msh). The guy that helped me said they didn't have any in stock, but said he would do some looking and call me back later. He called back to say he had found a used one that was in good shape (with all the internals) and asked if I wanted it at a discounted price. I said yes and had it in a couple of days; it looked like a new part to me.:D

..My new loaded SA is working fine, and their CS is excellent. Mine had a small scratch on the slide, so I called them and they sent a prepaid label to return the slide...
If I were to recommend a 1911 to someone, I think it would be the SA Range Officer. As I said above, it's reliable and accurate. It has adjustable sights. The frame, slide, and barrel are fitted the same as the TRP/Trophy Match guns plus it is several hundred dollars cheaper than those (as well as the Kimber and Colt I listed above). As you mentioned, their customer service has an excellent track record.

gb6491 - I also like the fit and finish on the Kimber.

I find I like their look as well.:)
http://i55.tinypic.com/x5624n.jpg

FWIW, I just learned that one of the guys at a local shop is a Kahr fan and carries a MK40 (has for years).:)

Regards,
Greg

yqtszhj
02-04-2011, 11:03 PM
The basic RIA I ordered Sunday night shipped today and is scheduled to arrive at my LGS Tuesday, probably late because I live out of town a little ways. That will be my first 1911. Maybe I can get out next weekend and post some inital results for anyone interested............. More to come.

MW surveyor
02-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the update.

kyletx1911
02-05-2011, 07:37 AM
here is the brand new nickel right out the box 100rds on the pipe i had a failure to return to battery but changed the mag and all was well. I shot reloads, finish good, all mags drop free no probs al all

yqtszhj
02-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Sweet. That's good right out of the box.

LuckyGunner
02-05-2011, 12:51 PM
If you get a mil spec model or above you should have no real issues. The 1911A1 models are the ones that can have issues with FTE and FTF with hollow points. There have been many up dates to the design and as long as you take advantage of them (ie Mil Spec) you should have no issues.

If you get a SA or Armscor Mil Spec you are set for a starter 1911. If you have a little more to spend the STI Spartan, MRI 1911, and SA Range Officer are good bets.

O'Dell
02-05-2011, 01:05 PM
here is the brand new nickel right out the box 100rds on the pipe i had a failure to return to battery but changed the mag and all was well. I shot reloads, finish good, all mags drop free no probs al all

I have the same pistol. I put about 150 rounds through it a weeks ago, including 28 rounds of Remington HP with no problems at all. It looks good too. I think it's going to be a keeper.

MW surveyor
02-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the input. Still on the fence what with
1. Having to pick out "the one"
2. Other issue, buying additional dies, bullets, primers, another turret, etc.
3. Way things have been going lately have not had the "time" nor has the weather been cooperating to shoot any of my other pistols.

yqtszhj
02-12-2011, 05:45 PM
The RIA GI model that I ordered about 2 weeks ago arrived this week and I hit the range with it today. 100 trouble free rounds. Everything functioned fine. Sights are small but I can use them. Groups from a bench at 10 yards are all in a 1 inch circle.

This thing is nice for the price. I have no complaints at all. From what I have read an upgrade to the tactical or match model may give a smoother gun and adjustable sights but for fun and function the RIA GI is worth what I have paid so far.

Oh, side note, a lot of the economical 1911's that were on Buds sight are all sold out now. Must be the 100th birthday fever.

MW surveyor
02-13-2011, 03:07 PM
^^^Thanks for the input. ^^^

Kind of leaning towards the Para at this time but any other input is highly appreciated. The low end Para has better sights and since I have trouble seeing the sights on the GI models, this may be the way for me to go rather than to have to buy the GI model and change out the front sight.

jeepster09
02-13-2011, 05:35 PM
I love my Para's....:D