PDA

View Full Version : cracked CW45 magazine

tractiongrips
02-02-2011, 07:31 AM
This is my first post and I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, or knocking Kahr. I have four of their pistols, and they are all great guns. I just thought I'd post this in case anybody else may be interested.
While reloading one of my CW45 magazines the other day, I noticed two small cracks on the back of the magazine. The cracks weren't on the weld line, which runs up the middle of the magazine. They were on the back side, at the very top of each side, beneath where the feel lips curve in and meet the back of the magazine body. They were both approximately 3mm long, and would have likely gone unnoticed if I wasn't looking closely at the magazine under the light on the desk where I was cleaning the gun.
I contacted Kahr, and although it was a rushed conversation, the person on the phone told me to simply mail it to them, and it would be replaced. I was happy to hear that, especially since I've always considered magazines as a fairly disposable part. For what they cost, I'm glad Kahr backs up their magazines with that type of service. I see magazines dropped and abused during training, so it is amazing they would offer to replace it without even asking if I ran it over or anything crazy like that. The magazine wasn't beaten or abused, and I was happy to not have to go through all kinds of headaches or expense to get a new magazine.
It's only been six days since I mailed it out, and I'm not sure how long I'll have to wait, but I'll post a reply when I get the replacement. So far I'm pretty happy with their service, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kahr pistol in the future. I've actually been checking their web site for any information on the CM9 I've read about. That may be my next purchase.

Indigo
02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
This is my first post and I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, or knocking Kahr. I have four of their pistols, and they are all great guns. I just thought I'd post this in case anybody else may be interested.
While reloading one of my CW45 magazines the other day, I noticed two small cracks on the back of the magazine. The cracks weren't on the weld line, which runs up the middle of the magazine. They were on the back side, at the very top of each side, beneath where the feel lips curve in and meet the back of the magazine body. They were both approximately 3mm long, and would have likely gone unnoticed if I wasn't looking closely at the magazine under the light on the desk where I was cleaning the gun.
I contacted Kahr, and although it was a rushed conversation, the person on the phone told me to simply mail it to them, and it would be replaced. I was happy to hear that, especially since I've always considered magazines as a fairly disposable part. For what they cost, I'm glad Kahr backs up their magazines with that type of service. I see magazines dropped and abused during training, so it is amazing they would offer to replace it without even asking if I ran it over or anything crazy like that. The magazine wasn't beaten or abused, and I was happy to not have to go through all kinds of headaches or expense to get a new magazine.
It's only been six days since I mailed it out, and I'm not sure how long I'll have to wait, but I'll post a reply when I get the replacement. So far I'm pretty happy with their service, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kahr pistol in the future. I've actually been checking their web site for any information on the CM9 I've read about. That may be my next purchase.

I've had no less than 11 P45 (same) magazines replaced in a year. All told a pair of brand new P45's made 4 trips to Kahr (3 and 1) for multile "feed ramp polishing" and the last time to replace a trigger bar. If it breaks again I would consider having the gun itself evaluated as opposed to it just being a faulty magazine. But when it runs good it's real accurate. Have fun.

wyntrout
02-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I had that problem and my gun's frame had to be replaced since it seems they were able to reproduce the magazine failures and only a new frame solved that problem, whatever it was. The gun wasn't a year old and on one trip I started having problems with magazines insertion and firing jams. It wasn't until I got home and found that 5 of my 6 Kahr mags of varying ages and types, had ALL split badly at the top rear sides. They replaced all six of my mags so I'm quite happy with their customer service.

I posted some pix as well, before or after this post:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3058&highlight=magazine+failures

Watch any replacements as it may be the GUN causing the problem.

Wynn :)

jocko
02-02-2011, 11:36 AM
u got some bad magazines, kahr will replace them. Kahr doesn't make their magazines and what issues you had would be totally undetectable until once in usage. Send um back they won't question it. Theya re not supposed to do that.

We can have all kinds of theorys as to why but it is so so seldom that we see that, that for me it is just bad material..

pappy42
02-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Yep, had the cracking problem on the the original two mags that came with my PM45. Kahr replaced them promptly and without question.

New ones have no problems although they have seen many more rounds.

tractiongrips
02-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I received the replacement magazine today. It was 11 days from the date of mailing it, until receiving it today. I'm very happy with their customer service. I just thought I'd let everybody know how well they handled the issue. A+ for Kahr!