PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cleaning

tconroy
02-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Is it advisable to disassemble the slide and clean and lube everything or just clean the barrel after a hundred rounds or so??? I strip it and clean it every time but is that an overkill??? Do you guys just clean the barrell and then strip after a few hundred rounds??? Thank in advance for your advice

Bawanna
02-03-2011, 03:40 PM
I take the slide off and clean it and the frame and the barrel if thats what you mean. I DO NOT detail strip the slide generally. I have once just to inspect and see how it looked. I just use the Jocko clean out hole on occasion and dont do that every time.

tconroy
02-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I take the slide off and clean it and the frame and the barrel if thats what you mean. I DO NOT detail strip the slide generally. I have once just to inspect and see how it looked. I just use the Jocko clean out hole on occasion and dont do that every time.
Yep thats what I meant Bawanna.Thanks buddy. I just figured if ya take the slide off you might as well take the barrel out and clean it that way.Its easier than trying to run the bore snake thru the extractor opening.

jocko
02-03-2011, 03:44 PM
what Bawanna says is the easiest way to keep that area clean withno hassle. once you ge tuse dto doingit, it takes about `15 secnds to spray clean that striker channel using that little clean out hole. I do it everytme I give my gun a cleaning, maybe not necessary but not like it takes longer to really do it.

If you reread that PROPPER PREPPING OF YOUR KAHR. It gives some really nice tips on how to use that little clean out hole to..

U can't beat those bore snakes though. I use it alot when firing my glock as I don't clean it as often asmy PM9 as it is my range gun, so it gets over looked in some areas but he bore snake is for me a god send. I wish I would have invented it..

tconroy
02-03-2011, 03:52 PM
what Bawanna says is the easiest way to keep that area clean withno hassle. once you ge tuse dto doingit, it takes about `15 secnds to spray clean that striker channel using that little clean out hole. I do it everytme I give my gun a cleaning, maybe not necessary but not like it takes longer to really do it.

If you reread that PROPPER PREPPING OF YOUR KAHR. It gives some really nice tips on how to use that little clean out hole to..

U can't beat those bore snakes though. I use it alot when firing my glock as I don't clean it as often asmy PM9 as it is my range gun, so it gets over looked in some areas but he bore snake is for me a god send. I wish I would have invented it..
Where is this hole located. I have probably done it but did not know it if that makes sense.

tconroy
02-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Ah HA!!! I found the hole you talk about. It is in#9 on the oil diagram that I downloaded. Thanks again. And yes i have used it. I follow the diagram religiously.

Bawanna
02-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Dang you are wicked fast. I was just gonna download that chart and point out the lower arm of #9 there.
Remind me not to quick draw with you................

jocko
02-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Ah HA!!! I found the hole you talk about. It is in#9 on the oil diagram that I downloaded. Thanks again. And yes i have used it. I follow the diagram religiously.

not one of those muslim extremests are you that want to stuff explosive sh-t in any holes they can find:cheer2:

I have always love a "clean" hole..

tconroy
02-03-2011, 04:22 PM
A clean hole is a happy hole. Man I just bought the last 2 boxes of 9mm at wally world. I hope federal are good. Never shot them.

jocko
02-03-2011, 04:33 PM
they are good ammo . Our wal mart here NEVER has anything in 9mm but 100 pak of WWB for $23.00, Never federal ammo, and in the last two years, not one box of 380.

My wife works there and watches that area every day to see if anything comes in priced right in the ammo line.

tconroy
02-03-2011, 04:40 PM
They were 10.42 a box of 50 so I bought them. Cabelas has some 9's for 10.49 on sale and Bass pro alway has tons of 9 in Remington for 14.29 and WWB for 26 per 100 . I bought the winchester the other day and was surpised that they were loose packed like a brick of 22's. I was expecting nice plastic containers with them all in a row like other ammo is packaged.

jocko
02-03-2011, 04:48 PM
yes the 100 pak of wwb fmj is loose packed..

deadhead1971
02-03-2011, 05:23 PM
yes. I clean it every time after shooting...even the insides of the magazines. The top followers get dirty as well as the inside springs.

MW surveyor
02-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I clean any gun that gets shot. Maybe not right away but at least by the next day. Mags get cleaned too. When you shoot reloads, things get somewhat dirty.

If you don't have a mag brush, get one! They are also good for cleaning the mag well up into the top of the frame.

jocko
02-04-2011, 05:18 AM
for sure if your gonna carry it, keep it clean, keep it lubed, keep it loaded.

cleaning besides "cleanng" also lets u inside thegun more often to, where one can see if something is carcked, broken, worn etc I never had an issue with my PM9 but upon cleaning I found twice two cracked makgazine followers, that had I not taken down the magazine to clean and inspect , I would not have see it until it broke when actually needed.

Preventive maintenance is a good thing. airlines do it all the time..

tconroy
02-04-2011, 06:27 AM

cleaning besides "cleanng" also lets u inside thegun more often to, where one can see if something is carcked, broken, worn etc I never had an issue with my PM9 but upon cleaning I found twice two cracked makgazine followers, that had I not taken down the magazine to clean and inspect , I would not have see it until it broke when actually needed.

Sounds good. Now all I have to do is find a diagram on how to dismantle the mag. Oh thats right , it's in my owners manual. My new mag is suppose to arrive at the dealers today. Gotta have an extra ya know!:)

tconroy
02-04-2011, 06:31 AM

]for sure if your gonna carry it, keep it clean, keep it lubed, keep it loaded, shoot it,squeeze it, keep it warm next to my side and sleep with it next to my bed!:33:

MW surveyor
02-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Word to the wise if you've never taken a mag apart. Keep the parts in the same orientation as you took them out. Nothing worse than putting the mag spring in up side down and follower backwards. Been there, done that. (head bang and face palm)

jeep45238
02-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Yeah....about cleaning after every range trip.....we'll just say I've got guns with 4000 rounds between cleanings and they're still kickin strong. I've gone over 1500 rounds on my carry pistol without cleaning, and predominantly shoot lead out of it.

Keep 'em lubed with a good wet lube and they'll keep running.

Don't over think or over fret it :)

jocko
02-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Sounds good. Now all I have to do is find a diagram on how to dismantle the mag. Oh thats right , it's in my owners manual. My new mag is suppose to arrive at the dealers today. Gotta have an extra ya know!:)

on taking the mags apart and especially to reinstall again.

It is easy to take a mag apart, just slip a nail through the last hole in the side onthe magazine and then slide the floor plate off. When reinstalling, just push the spring in as far as u can then slide a nail through the last hole, It takes all the pressure off that spring andreinstallation is a breeze and things willnot fly all over the place either. Do pay attention to the angle of the sprin gs where it goes inthe bottom of the follower. not rocket science either.

earle8888
02-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Yep I clean each weapon after shooting each time. Usually do mags every 4th time or every time if I carried it in my pocket as a spare.

jocko
02-04-2011, 01:43 PM
like washing your feet and not getting in between the toes. UR FEET ARE STILL DIRTY. They look clean but they aren't. Probalby a very poor analogy, but I am cooped up here in the house for the last 4days and my feet I think need one hell of a "deep cleaning".

copterdrvr
02-06-2011, 06:27 AM
I can't bring any gun home from shooting without cleaning it that day and there's no way I could carry a pistol that I'm counting on to protect me and my family without it being spotlessly cleaned and lubed.

1500 rounds through a carry gun without cleaning? Wow, that thing has to be filthy. You're a braver man than I am "Gunga Din" !!! :D

Heck, I don't feel totally comfortable leaving the range when I've run 100 rounds through my carry gun until I get 'er home and all cleaned up nice and purdy-yeah, I know, I'm weird but 30 plus years of flying helicopters and you EXPECT something to break at the most inopportune time !!!:cool:

tconroy
02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
1 or 100 I will clean it ASAP!! Never carry a dirty gun!!!:D

jocko
02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
and how can anyone fault any person who keeps his weapons clean. I meanif you wanna shoot 1500 rounds and never clean that is certainly ones personal choice. I would excuse that for maybe a range gun. I don't clean my G19 ofter like I should but it is my range gun. But my Pm9 is my 24/7 personal carry choice and I don't want to leave anything to "maybe it is OK". I feel a clean gun is a happy gun..

OldLincoln
02-06-2011, 03:00 PM
OK, enough already! I promise I'll clean mine now instead of watching the super bowl. OK? Happy now?? It was only 100 rounds 2 days ago and been on my guilty mind since.

Bawanna
02-06-2011, 03:06 PM
You left dads Colt dirty for 2 days after a range session. For shame, for shame. Tell your missus that I said it was ok to set up cleaning on the living room coffee table in front of the TV. I haven't watched a single game all season but I might just watch this one, I want to fit in and be one of the guys. Hope the cheating Stealers go home with their cheating tails between their cheating legs and take their cheating officials with them.

I intended to go shooting this morning but figured my kid wanted to watch the game, said it started at 1 which would have cut it close. Now he tells me it starts at 3 which would have worked perfectly. Damn!

I at least got half a side almost done on a MK9 for XrustyX. I'd forgotten what a nightmare Kahrs are to fit the inside of a grip. Quite the challenge.

jocko
02-06-2011, 03:09 PM
wow bawanna u stillhold that grudge, don't you. Shame on you, u should forgive and actually man up and root for the Steelers.??? That would be the "right " thing to do, course I have always said "ur not right either". I will ask my LBBP what his opinion is the next time I see him??

Scoundrel
10-25-2011, 03:38 PM

What is so good about a bore snake? Why is it better than a brass brush on a rod?

How do you clean a bore snake?

And, how do you get the powder residue out of the little nooks and crannies that the snake does not reach? I currently use a precision flat screwdriver and an ice pick to do that. Bought some dental picks but never seem to need them.

jocko
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
for range use, I use the bore snake. at home it getrs the brass brush. It ain't perfec t but for me it is fast and it does clean. I don't think \I ever stated it was better than a brass on a rod.

I throw my bore snake in the wash..

Scoundrel
10-25-2011, 04:07 PM
I saw more than one thread in which you were singing the praises of the bore snake. Sorry, I assumed the "better than a brass brush" part.

jocko
10-25-2011, 04:22 PM
no problem, u kinow what they say about ASSUMED. It makes an ass out of u and me. I am also a lazy fokker to so the bore snake is my best friend at the range. I love it on my ruger MK!!..

Scoundrel
10-25-2011, 04:25 PM
My stuff doesn't get cleaned at the range. I gunk it up at the range, and take it home for cleaning.

deanp1964
11-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I love this forum already.
A good forum shows me how much I didn't know - (and reminds me how fortunate I am that I am still "teachable")

:cheer2: