PDA

View Full Version : very interesting

jocko
02-05-2011, 06:42 AM
have been doing some reading up on the new kimber solo and it seems that the factory in their manual even stress's ONLY premium high quality ammo of 124 grain and up for reliability. This puts the 115 grain mostly range fodder ammo like WWB and others as a NO GO for the solo.

Now if you shoot like the 115 corbon dpx, that round is supoosably hot enough to be OK but kimber recommends 124 grain premium ammo.

This to me is a draw back, maybe not a serious one for some but for me WWB from wal-mart is very affordable, good shooting, clean 115 fmj round that I have never had an issue shooting in any semi I have ever owned.

As we well know most 124 grain ammo is going to be a defense round and a HP round also, which to me is very expensive for range usage..

ripley16
02-05-2011, 07:32 AM
True, it was designed for premium HP carry ammo but, Kimber has listed several "normal" 115gr loads that the gun should handle well. See here;
http://www.kimber1911pistols.com/tag/solo-carry/

Not a gun you want to buy for cheap plinking, that's for sure.

jocko
02-05-2011, 03:25 PM
thanks ripley 16, wow 3" groupls at 25 yards. that is match type accuracy. I would have been happy with 12" at 25 yards. It is alittle ammo sensitive by their own account but there seems to be enough range foddr ammo that will work if u can find it. I noticed my ol reliable WWb 115 fmj from wal- mart is not on their approved list..

NoJustHappyToSeeYou
02-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Kimber is probably noticing what happened to Glock's warranty expenses and reputation and playing CYA. For range fun, the occasional FTE or stovepipe doesn't seem too big of a deal to me given the benefit of lower shooting costs.

jocko
02-05-2011, 05:16 PM
how about filling me in on the glock thing and what is CYA?? I missed that one to..

swampman
02-05-2011, 05:18 PM
have been doing some reading up on the new kimber solo and it seems that the factory in their manual even stress's ONLY premium high quality ammo of 124 grain and up for reliability. This puts the 115 grain mostly range fodder ammo like WWB and others as a NO GO for the solo.

Now if you shoot like the 115 corbon dpx, that round is supoosably hot enough to be OK but kimber recommends 124 grain premium ammo.

This to me is a draw back, maybe not a serious one for some but for me WWB from wal-mart is very affordable, good shooting, clean 115 fmj round that I have never had an issue shooting in any semi I have ever owned.

As we well know most 124 grain ammo is going to be a defense round and a HP round also, which to me is very expensive for range usage..
there are 124 gr. full metal jacket ammo available,some from wai-mart.I cant remember exactly but I think its RWS from wal-mart:)

MikeyKahr
02-05-2011, 05:36 PM
how about filling me in on the glock thing and what is CYA?? I missed that one to..

I can fill in the second half. Cover your a$$.

jocko
02-05-2011, 06:03 PM
dang, I should have know that. thanks..

jocko
02-05-2011, 06:05 PM
our wal mart has never had any RWS ammo. kinda strange, some wal marts have different brands of ammo. We never see 9mm other tan WWB in 100 Pak at our stores, never any federal ammo. Some remington..

copterdrvr
02-06-2011, 06:01 AM
I just made a WallyWorld run the other day to stock up and prices and selection's pretty darned good.

They have UMC, WW and Federal 9mil in abundance. They have 115 grn UMC HP for just a bit more than the FMJ. They have 88 grain UMC HP for my 380 that actually cost less than the WWB "Target" ammo so that's a real plus.

They even have a good selection of the 40 SW ammo I like to use in my "carry" guns which is lighter bullets. They have 135 grn HP Federal for 22 bucks and that's a great price. Not a fan of heavy bullets in little pistols-I go for the velocity and don't like the additional recoil with no benefit. After a point, hydrostatic shock is more a function of the velocity of the subject matter rather than it's mass and that's what shuts brains down and ends resistance.