PDA

View Full Version : XS Big Dot Installation for my P9

DBP9
02-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I am looking to install Big Dots on my P9, and have been shopping around. XS Sights, and Kahrshop both charge $120 for the sights and $40 for installation, but XS Sights only charges $9 for Return shipping where as Kahrshop charges $25. I'm assuming the $16 shipping difference lies in shipping priority and the way it is insured. XS Sights also claims to have a slightly shorter turnaround time. Does anybody have a recomendation for which one is a better way to go? I am not really worried about the $16 difference, and although I am impatient will wait extra time to get a better job done. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks DBP9

Bawanna
02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
I think either place will give you good results. Being as they sell sights and install they will do it correctly.

Kahr usually is pretty quick in turn around and usually faster than they predict but of course theres lots of variables. Same with XS I would imagine.

I'd go either place with confidence myself.

jocko
02-07-2011, 11:56 AM
give the xs company a shot. they are good and then let us kow how all things went..

Tilos
02-07-2011, 11:56 AM
If it were me, I'd have XS do it.
Sights are all they do, all day long, and their work is a reflection of the products.

There was a recent thread(with pics) about someone receiving a dented front dovetail back from Kahr doing a sight install.
I'm sure they will make it good, but who needs that kind of drama.
Link: http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5434&highlight=kahr+sight+install

True, XS doesn't have slides to replace anything they ding, but they would still be my 1st choice.
Sights are all they do.
just sayin'
Tilos

jocko
02-07-2011, 12:57 PM
u got a point Tilos but you gotta remember that someone at kahr is installing sights every day to on every new kahr made. They should defihitely have it down pat IMO, especially with thier own guns. They probably have jigs setb up especially for kahrs only. I realize sh-t can happen and a slide can get damaged. It shouldn't but as we know at least one did. I could flip a coin and go with either company doing the job, they are both well qualified in doing this. Kahr knows how tight their sights are on their guns, I jwould want to think they are more equipped to deal with this than a company that services darn near every make and model gun made.

I just don't think you can beat the xs sights though..

DBP9
02-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks everybody! I'm going to send my slide out to XS Sights tomorrow, and I will let you know how fast it comes back, Quality of Service, and any other feedback I have regarding the install.

DBP9
02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
WOW!!! 2 Thumbs up for XS Sights Service Department! XS Sights only received my slide yesterday, but I got a call about an hour ago from one of the guys in the service department. He was going to start installing the sights and try to get it shipped back to me today! I am sure Kahr could have done a great job too, but so far I am 100% thrilled! I will let you know how they look next week when it arrives. Have a good weekend!

jocko
02-11-2011, 01:03 PM
now that is what a good company who ever they are should strive for to. rthe phone call was not necessary but it does giv eyou a personal feeling that your just not Number 08893 on the list. You made the right decision with xs. Kahr could not have done any better, unless they personally drove the gun to your place.

I bet no one told you that those xs sights require a battery pack that straps to ur waist with a big long cord that plugs into the back of the xs sight, did they???

just kiddin. the battery pak can fit in your pocket!!!

Bawanna
02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
You must have the compact battery. I wired mine into my power chair. If I turn the gun around (kervorcian style, don't try this at home) I can use it to spotlight deer at night.

DBP9
02-11-2011, 01:56 PM
now that is what a good company who ever they are should strive for to. rthe phone call was not necessary but it does giv eyou a personal feeling that your just not Number 08893 on the list. You made the right decision with xs. Kahr could not have done any better, unless they personally drove the gun to your place.

I bet no one told you that those xs sights require a battery pack that straps to ur waist with a big long cord that plugs into the back of the xs sight, did they???

just kiddin. the battery pak can fit in your pocket!!!

They actually call you when they start to arrange payment so that you don't have to send your CC info w/the slide in the mail, but I agree customer service was top notch

DBP9
02-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Well I got it back via FedEx today, and the work is 100% top notch! I was a little suprised that the rear sight tritium doesn't glow as brightly as the front, but from what I read about the XS Sights it really shouldn't matter much. Unfortunately I have to go to ATL for work today, so I won't be able to try them out until this weekend.

gb6491
02-16-2011, 09:02 AM
... I was a little suprised that the rear sight tritium doesn't glow as brightly as the front, but from what I read about the XS Sights it really shouldn't matter much...
I think this done of a purpose; one: to quickly reference which sight is which (probably more important on the three dot variety of night sights) and two: to draw your focus/attention to the front sight.
Regards,
Greg

jocko
02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
I would say ur right gb

PaiN
02-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the update...I'm planning to add XS Dot sights to my K9.

aray
02-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm considering adding night sights to my CW9 this summer. Which do ya'll recommend and why? From Kahr's web site it seems my only options are either the Big Dot or the Meprolight. I'm also assuming I need the "old style" slide attachment, which seems to preclude the Trijicon brand.

(PS: Aren't all of these tritium night sights ultimately made by Trijicon? I thought they had a patent or something on the use of tritium vials for gun night sights.)

Bawanna
02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
I think Dawson Precision has some good options for the CW too. You could be right on Trijicon. Most of the sight makers make the sight and send them off to be Lamped I think they call it.

Wynn sent his in since his night sights passes away due to natural causes. The sight place in turn sent it off for the treatment. I can't say for sure it's trijicon but could very well be.

I can attest that there is some radioactive stuff in them. I broke a set of Beretta night sights installing them here and for kicks one of the detectives got a gieger counter. It went nuts on my hands.

Probably why I am what I am some say.