PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bawanna45cal, have you

MW surveyor
02-09-2011, 09:41 AM
ever made a grip to go onto a poly gun? Just a random thought about getting some thin veneer and gasp, gluing it to the stock hand grip.

Bawanna
02-09-2011, 09:46 AM
ever made a grip to go onto a poly gun? Just a random thought about getting some thin veneer and gasp, gluing it to the stock hand grip.

Never have, thought about it a few times. Wood being what it is I was concerned if it ever needed to be replaced. I guess one could always just file it off and start over again.

Short of just using wall paper any meaningful thickness of wood just makes the grip too thick to most.

The polymer in most grips areas is very thin so very little to grind away in any attempt to recess it.

It sure would be nice to have a tupperware gun with some of natures fine wood in the handle. Perhaps worthy of more thought for sure.

Knife handle makers glue the wood inserts to a knife frequently. So gluing wouldn't be out of the question.

MW surveyor
02-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Mr. B

Pretty much what I thought. I can get (and make) some really thin veneer and something "natural" on a poly pistol might help the look of some of them.

As you say, could insert and glue but it might be a problem with the actual thickness of the grip area to insert.

I'm gonna give this some more thought and might play around with a few things.

One thing for sure is that the grip area of the poly pistol would have to be relatively flat for it to work properly.

Bawanna
02-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Mr. B

Pretty much what I thought. I can get (and make) some really thin veneer and something "natural" on a poly pistol might help the look of some of them.

As you say, could insert and glue but it might be a problem with the actual thickness of the grip area to insert.

I'm gonna give this some more thought and might play around with a few things.

One thing for sure is that the grip area of the poly pistol would have to be relatively flat for it to work properly.

Usually the insert area is pretty flat. Veneer usually can flex some without too much effort also. I've not played with it very much but like boat guys soak it and do all kinds of magical things with it. Maybe Dusty can give us some input.

MW surveyor
02-09-2011, 10:30 AM
You can bend the thin stuff fairly easily. I've done a little bit of veneering on some small stuff. Thinking I might try it and if it comes out, I'll post a picture.

Gotta get back to work!

gb6491
02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Some food for thought:
People have been grinding the grip panels flat on Ruger's poly 22/45 and installing 1911 style grips for several years now.
http://www.spokanister.net/Guns_22-45_Grip_Mod.html
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/smallbore-talk/68671-ruger-22-45-modded.html

The results have been so good that Ruger recently introduced their own version.
http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Hunter/models.html

There is also a guy offering poly grips that can be attached with self tapping screws or double sided tape.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/ruger-mkiii-22-45-grips-15325/
These grips have a concave/inset rear surface which allows the tape installation. That might be possible with wood as well. FWIW: double sided tape can be quite strong and durable. I have a tempered glass platen on my belt grinder that is held on by double sided tape. It's still holding strong after five or more years use.

Regards,
Greg

MW surveyor
02-09-2011, 01:41 PM
ideas. Thanks for the input.

Bawanna
02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I love the idea of that VHB tape. Take alot of the risk out of building grips. I sweat alot drilling them darn screw holes. Make it off a fraction of an inch and your lovely handles become firewood. Could just remove the screws and inserts all together. Alot better than my rubber band idea. It was pretty weak even with different colored rubber bands. I try to do all the scarey stuff as early as possible so if I screw up, I've not wasted lots of hours.
Several scarey little steps. Been pretty lucky lately.

MW surveyor
02-09-2011, 06:43 PM
+1 on doing the drilling BEFORE you even start on the shaping. Messed up a set of grips that I made for my single six. (Well not both panels but hey what are you gonna do with only one side of a book match!)