PDA

View Full Version : hello, hello, hello

pacific nw guy
11-14-2009, 09:37 AM
just picked up my pm40 yesterday! i am completely new to guns and shooting but I am learning. i bought my first gun about 30 days ago, springfield xdm 9. my initial thought was personal protection, carry, shoot at the range etc....once I got that gun and started reading/learning more I realized I wanted a smaller gun to carry. I looked at lcp and kel tec but then the gun shop had a pm 40 w/nightsights that was brand new for a deal.

I am rather compulsive so without much knowledge I bought it, I liked the feel and the size but beyond that knew very little.

Over the 5 days up to getting it I read a lot about it. Lots of negative crap to sum it up but as we all know mostly people with negative feelings take the time to review things. In talking to the shop and reading between the lines I have a feeling a lot of the haters simply dont take care of the gun or read the manual to understand what they should expect.

anyhow I am now pretty happy as I have it and the size seems like it is going to work. I bought a pretty cool pocket holster too.

I will update you all more once I get to the range!

Dietrich
11-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Welcome and greetings from the southern part of the country. For every negative thing you`ve read about your Kahr,you`ll get several good reviews from the people here at Kahrtalk. Good,knowledgeable people with a wealth of experience and know-how that they are eager to share.However,if all you`re looking for is a truckload of B.S.,then I`m your man.Welcome to the forum.Dive right in and enjoy yourself.

Raoul
11-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Welcome from TN, the patron state of shooting stuff. You're gonna luv the PM40. I recently had the "pleasure" of shooting the LCP. Not even remotely impressed. Your PM40 is an excellent shooter, even at 30 yards and more.
Be sure and break it in with several hundred rounds.
You might want to look at adding one of the Pearce Grips (http://www.pearcegrip.com/kahr.htm).
Also I have to recommend the IWB holster by AKJ Concealco (http://www.concealco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACL&Product_Code=SG-IWBS&Category_Code=051IWB). I've got one for my PM40 and my G19.
Here's a pdf on the Kahr slide (http://naws.com/Kahr_Slide.pdf) you might find helpful and a jpg of lube points. (http://naws.com/KahrLubePoints.jpg)

Enjoy your Kahr and post a range report.

jocko
11-14-2009, 06:30 PM
pacific new guy. take ur time breaking this gun in. indeed go to the threads that RAOUL posted. they are excellent and will help you alot. the PM40 is a super nice gun but the recoil in the 40 cal in the PM40 is very noticeable. It is what it is a very light weight, very small and very powerful gun. get a good grip on it when shooting so that you don't limpwrist the gun, break it in with fmj ammo, don't mess with the defense stuff until it is reliable. Clean the gun before going out with it, grease the slide rails and then sit there and rack the slide about 500 times as fast as you can. this helps break in without the "bang" thing.

You will like this gun, takes some getting used to the loooooong but totaly smooth trigger on kahrs, so don't feel bad if your shots are low and to the left (if ur right handed). This is normal until you get used to the trigger system.

Remember breaking in any gun also requires breaking in the shooter also to the gun. They both have to mate with each other to perform like they should.

Do not start to panic until u get at least 200 rounds down range through the gun. Indeed read the manual, there are some things in there that kahr recomends you do. #1 is to for sure use the slide stop lever to load that first round. If you try to hand rack your PM40 chances are you will get FTF (hangups). Use the slide lock release leaver and it will load that first round perfectly. Pay attention to the outter recoil spring also. The open end of the outter recoil spring always goes towards the front of the slide. It shows u nicely in the kahr manual also.....

This is a super forum and there are guys here who have walked in ur shoes, so if u have any questions come forward.

Nice gun, now just shoot it like u stole it..

That kahr lub chart is awesome IMO>

deadhead1971
11-14-2009, 07:16 PM
I recently had the "pleasure" of shooting the LCP. Not even remotely impressed.

I have an LCP and really like it because it is so teeny tiny and shoots great to about 25 feet.

I like my PM9 better.

zena
11-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Welcome from the Northeast, home of Kahr. Good group of people here with tons of info and if you like being a little silly occasionally, you've found a good bunch. Where in the Northwest? I did some school in Portland, OR. :)