jeep45238
02-11-2011, 09:27 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Photo101.jpg

:D

O'Dell
02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/Photo101.jpg

:D

I have the compact version of the same gun. Personally, I don't think it a classically good looking pistol, but I can't fault it's function. It has fed everything I have put through it and is quite accurate to boot.

jeep45238
02-11-2011, 10:31 AM
I buy tools, not works of art :)

On here you'll find some pictures of my old 1911 - I'm sure they gave some on here a stroke.

Bawanna
02-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't like to disagree with my dad but I think they look great. I've been on the prowl for a compact version myself. Course I'm on the prowl for most things that go bang. It's a sickness.

1911fanatic
02-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Its not a sickness, its a need. Or am I just sick?:53:

Bawanna
02-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Its not a sickness, its a need. Or am I just sick?:53:

Your right of course. A want creates a need. We can't possibly both be sick? Ya think?

jocko
02-11-2011, 01:08 PM
there is nothing wrong with being sick, I have found a new gun purchase during that sick time really snaps one out of it Much better than antibodies, as whenyou get well with anti bodies,yo have an empty pill case but when you get well the other way, hellyou have a new gun sitting there..

I heard Obama is going to give u the option of either buying a new gun and getting well without the government paying for it or letting the government buy ur meds and u still pay for it.. I think they cal lit the fokking buyers option.

Bawanna
02-11-2011, 01:28 PM
I think your right. Thats where my first Para LDA came for. Had a little bump removed from my brain. (they had to be careful and remove the bump and not the brain, they were both about the same size.) Anyhow I was basically laying around for 6 months. The guys here at the dept all chipped in and bought me a P14-45. It was constantly beside me for 6 months in my living room chair or bed. Never carried a gun so long without shooting it.
They said it would help the healing and I think it did and I still have it.

O'Dell
02-11-2011, 01:29 PM
there is nothing wrong with being sick, I have found a new gun purchase during that sick time really snaps one out of it Much better than antibodies, as whenyou get well with anti bodies,yo have an empty pill case but when you get well the other way, hellyou have a new gun sitting there..

I heard Obama is going to give u the option of either buying a new gun and getting well without the government paying for it or letting the government buy ur meds and u still pay for it.. I think they cal lit the fokking buyers option.

If that's so, I'm having a good day. The S&W 4043 came in today. Evidently He didn't wait for my check to clear since I only mailed it Sunday. It had a few shiny corners and one small scratch, but a bit of work with Scotch Brite pads and some polish cleaned it up nicely. I hand racked a mag of 40 cal HP's and then tried some empty cases and all fed. The NS's are medium bright. I don't think you ever have to worry about the reliability of these 3rd gen S&W's.

To make the day better, after haunting four WM's for 6 weeks, I finally found 500 rounds of 45 ammo. I bought it all plus two boxes of 40 cal HP's.

O'Dell
02-11-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't like to disagree with my dad but I think they look great. I've been on the prowl for a compact version myself. Course I'm on the prowl for most things that go bang. It's a sickness.

Maybe it's just all that BLACK. My only two black guns are the M&P c 45 and the LCP>

Bawanna
02-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Yup those Smiths are tough. I had a 4516 and a 4006. Sellers remorse for sure. I still know the wear abouts of the 4516. It might come home again someday.

When I went to the LDA's I found I couldn't shoot the Smith well anymore. I used to do pretty good with it but the trigger compared to the LDA's was horrible. Stand alone it's not bad at all, but side by side I just couldn't work it anymore.

O'Dell
02-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Yup those Smiths are tough. I had a 4516 and a 4006. Sellers remorse for sure. I still know the wear abouts of the 4516. It might come home again someday.

When I went to the LDA's I found I couldn't shoot the Smith well anymore. I used to do pretty good with it but the trigger compared to the LDA's was horrible. Stand alone it's not bad at all, but side by side I just couldn't work it anymore.

The guy I bought the 4043 from has bid on some 4506's. I'd rather have a 4516, but his prices are good and I take what I can get.

Bawanna
02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I imagine if hes looking at LE turn ins he'd see way more 4506's (they are larger if I'm remembering right). The 4516 being smaller wouldnt see much duty use except for maybe detectives or plain clothes etc.

A deputy I know still carries his 645. Made him some handles for it. It's a great gun. They are issuing M&P 45's now so he's gonna try one of those to see how he gets along but the 645 is his own and he ain't giving it up.

CS534
02-11-2011, 02:09 PM
congrats on te purchase, I have one also. I have really had no issues other than magazine rust. I sent them in to smith and got some new ones. Gun feeds everything, never had a problem except with some reloads. I considered carrying it as a duty weapon, but changed my mind, not a knock on the gun just preference. Slim .45 with 10 rounds is what I like most about it. Be careful with the backstrap pin, if you remove it too much the plastic knob will wear. And for disassembly, you can pull the trigger to remove the slide without moving that sear deactivator

O'Dell
02-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I imagine if hes looking at LE turn ins he'd see way more 4506's (they are larger if I'm remembering right). The 4516 being smaller wouldnt see much duty use except for maybe detectives or plain clothes etc.

A deputy I know still carries his 645. Made him some handles for it. It's a great gun. They are issuing M&P 45's now so he's gonna try one of those to see how he gets along but the 645 is his own and he ain't giving it up.

Yeah, the 4506 is bigger and heavier than the 4516 since both are all steel. It's similar to my stolen 4586, except it has a DA/SA trigger which I prefer. It weighs about the same as a FS 1911 but is wider. My new/old 4043 has an alloy frame, and is about the same size as the 4516, so it's a lot lighter than either.

I don't blame him for keeping the 645 - it's a good pistol. The 4506 was the 3rd gen replacement for the 645 and is perhaps a bit more refined.

O'Dell
02-11-2011, 02:29 PM
congrats on te purchase, I have one also. I have really had no issues other than magazine rust. I sent them in to smith and got some new ones. Gun feeds everything, never had a problem except with some reloads. I considered carrying it as a duty weapon, but changed my mind, not a knock on the gun just preference. Slim .45 with 10 rounds is what I like most about it. Be careful with the backstrap pin, if you remove it too much the plastic knob will wear. And for disassembly, you can pull the trigger to remove the slide without moving that sear deactivator

Thanks. I stripped it this afternoon and didn't even have to think about it. It broke down just like I thought it would. It was very clean for an ex-police gun, but dry as a bone. I lubed it well with Miltech 1 and grease, and wiped down the SS mags with some CLP, and all seems good. It's light enough to go into my winter carry rotation once I fire a few rounds.

Catshooter
02-11-2011, 06:23 PM
If you want to get into some serious trouble, gaze upon this:

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo235/Catshooter45/Short45s002.jpg

That is one of my Shorty .45s. Aluminum frame for lightness. The frame/slide/barrel are all hand fitted by the Performance Center at Smith. Briley titanium barrel bushing.

The first eight rounds I put through my first went into a group that would hide complely behind a US quarter. The whole group.

They will both feed an empty case from the mag, every time.

Cat

OldLincoln
02-11-2011, 09:54 PM
The first eight rounds I put through my first went into a group that would hide complely behind a US quarter. The whole group. CatI couldn't do that 2 feet from the target! BUT, I can put them all into COM/Head at 5 yards in about 1 second.

Dietrich
02-12-2011, 05:26 AM

That is one of my Shorty .45s. Aluminum frame for lightness. The frame/slide/barrel are all hand fitted by the Performance Center at Smith. Briley titanium barrel bushing.

The first eight rounds I put through my first went into a group that would hide complely behind a US quarter. The whole group.

Cat
Man,that is one fine looking piece of work!!! Wait a minute while I wipe away this string of drool.

O'Dell
02-12-2011, 03:04 PM

Cat

I would love to have that gun, but I'm not willing to pay what's being asked. Very nice pistol though.

jlottmc
02-12-2011, 03:41 PM
I never warmed up to those all metal Smith's. They felt like a 2x4 on my hand, and that was the first generation of them. I'm open to them if they feel better, but I think the SD40 has them beat in spades. I know it's tupperware, but damn if it don't feel right. Shoots well too.

PaiN
02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Nice going jeep, my favorite round it the .45auto. I've always liked the new M&Ps, if I didn't have a Sig P220 I'd probably have an M&P45

jocko
02-12-2011, 05:15 PM
I never warmed up to those all metal Smith's. They felt like a 2x4 on my hand, and that was the first generation of them. I'm open to them if they feel better, but I think the SD40 has them beat in spades. I know it's tupperware, but damn if it don't feel right. Shoots well too.

just look at all the new sub caliber guns coming out in the last few year. ALL DAMN near polymer models. Has to be a reason for that to.

Only Kimber would dare to challenge the polymer market with their new SOLO and I truly hope that guns works out great for rhem, for their first entry and last into the polymer world a few years back was a diseaster. They are staying in the area that they know best STEEL..

We don't see many polymer 1911's now do we??? Is this kinda of a sacred line that shouldnot be crossed????

O'Dell
02-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Nice going jeep, my favorite round it the .45auto. I've always liked the new M&Ps, if I didn't have a Sig P220 I'd probably have an M&P45

I really like the classic looks of my P220 and it's a good shooter too, but I hate to admit that I'm more accurate with my M&P c 45.

That said, I still want to get more of the 3rd gen S&W all metal guns. I got the 4043 last week, and I'm on the trail of a 457S and a CS45.

jeepster09
02-13-2011, 05:31 PM
I buy tools, not works of art :)

On here you'll find some pictures of my old 1911 - I'm sure they gave some on here a stroke.

I buy tools and turn them into works of art! Kinda like owning Snap On wrenchs instead of Globemaster....:001_tt2:
I like Artistic tools.:w00t:

Bawanna
02-13-2011, 05:51 PM
I buy tools and turn them into works of art! Kinda like owning Snap On wrenchs instead of Globemaster....:001_tt2:
I like Artistic tools.:w00t:

I like it. It's a tool but it sure don't hurt nothing to look cool while its working.

In my overall scheme of things looking cool is job one.

jeep45238
02-14-2011, 06:01 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Minor%20Gunsmithing/My%20Para%20Ord/3%2025%202010%20wear/DSCN0829.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/Range%20Time/SW%20MP9Pro/Photo33.jpg

Looks are way down on my list of priorities when it comes to firearms :-D

I'm going to redo the stippling job the previous owner did, and do it right. The .45 feels amazing with the small back strap - I really wish Crimson Trace would make a laser for it in the small size. Maybe some day. Until then, this is my future IDPA CDP class gun, and occasional carry. I'll be converting my 9mm over to a thumb safety model, and it will run in the ESP class as well as staying on my hip when the .45 isn't.